Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone who actually knows the unreal engine more than anyone help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone who actually knows the unreal engine more than anyone help?

Hello, I'm looking for someone who knows every last bit of the Unreal Engine 3 please step forward and lend some helping advice?

It's hard to find developers or even the guy's who built the Unreal Engine 3 in the first place to answer some questions I have.

*MY UNDERSTANDING*
    I understand how the texture streaming system works, with respect to scaling video memory usage accordingly. Objects, shadows, light maps, textures render in full detail but about 20 feet ahead they render in 1/4-1/2 the resolution.

*MY OBJECTIVE*
    I would like for someone to explain how to set parameters that consist of CheckCountDistances, Radiuses, Components, Thresholds. To explain what a high value of say 2000, or a low value of say 1.0 can relate to getting all textures, bumpmaps, light maps, dynamic shadows, shadow clarity, building mip transition from low to high quality distance specification. What I'm looking to do is get textures and every single parameter to render in 100% full detail with no streaming until the distance is extremely far off in the distance.

I want 100% full pure detail on all texture LOD's, Decals, Bump maps, Tessellation bump detail, shadow quality distance, etc. Basically I want everything to render in high quality so I want to know at what value for numerous Engine.ini parameters will give max detail?

For instance I know that setting TerrainTessellationCheckDistance from 4096, to 1.0 allows for Tesselated Bump mapped rocks etc to be in full detail up close and in the far distance. From setting that setting I see bumpy rocks all over the place and especially up close to the camera.

One thing I notice is i'll run up to a building and the mip will literally move from left to right from ultra low detail to ultra high detail according to my distance.

What things need to be changed specifically to get everything to render in it's highest detail level up close and extremely far off in the distance?

*ON ANOTHER NOTE*

I also would like to test out 8192 textures and I found this to change the mip count from 13 (4096) to 14 (8192).

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Textu...dSettings.html

Unreal Engine 3 supports texture resolutions from 1x1 to 4096x4096.

Unreal Engine 3 defaults to limiting the maximum number of texture mips to 13, which effectively limits the largest rendered texture to 4096 (1x1 to 4096x4096 is 13 mips). This has the side-effect that imported 8192 textures will only render up to mip1 of 4096. The constant MAX_TEXTURE_MIP_COUNT which defaults to 13 in the engine source files can be modified to a value of 14 to support 8192 texture rendering.

4096x4096 13 mips
    8192x8192 14 mips

[TextureStreaming]
    PoolSize=140
    MemoryMargin=20
    MemoryLoss=0
    HysteresisLimit=20
    DropMipLevelsLimit=16
    StopIncreasingLimit=14
    StopStreamingLimit=8
    MinEvictSize=10
    MinFudgeFactor=1
    FudgeFactorIncreaseRateOfChange=0.5
    FudgeFactorDecreaseRateOfChange=-0.4
    MinRequestedMipsToConsider=14
    MinTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=0
    MaxTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=0
    UseTextureFileCache=false
    LoadMapTimeLimit=5.0
    LightmapStreamingFactor=0.04
    ShadowmapStreamingFactor=0.04
    MaxLightmapRadius=2000.0
    AllowStreamingLightmaps=False
    TextureFileCacheBulkDataAlignment=1
    UsePriorityStreaming=True
    bAllowSwitchingStreamingSystem=False
    MaxTextureMipCount=14
    GMinTextureResidentMipCount=14
    GMaxTextureResidentMipCount=14

THANKS

Hi, it's better to ask Unreal engine related stuff here: http://forums.epicgames.com/forums/3...ral-Discussion

Comment

If there was a "Thanks" or "Like" button I'd click it for you bro!

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X