Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT3 used for teaching - product key only works per user - not per PC!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 used for teaching - product key only works per user - not per PC!!!

Guys - hope someone can help or point me in the right direction...

I work at a University where we use UT3 and UDK for teaching. UDK isn't a problem due to its free nature but UT3 just isn't designed in that way. When you enter the CD key it gets stored in the user profile encrypted in utengine.ini.

Copying this file between user profiles (and into the Default profile) doesn't work as each new user account creates a new GUID for the encrypted product key.

Obviously this is by design but failure to rectify this situation will mean taking the Unreal Engine off our syllabus. Is there any way to register the CD per PC rather than per user? We cannot give the product keys to students as that would breach our licenses.

You can play instant action and the campaign by signing in in off-line mode.

Comment

But tell me if I'm wrong - you can't bypass the request for the CD key when a new user launches the game for the first time?

Comment

UT3 is not a resource you can profit from;
        - if you are a teacher you should know this - a university is a profit organisation/

- Read the license when you boot ut3; 1 single use ; installed at one time on any one machine.

- UT3 and UDK are completely different in this respect.
        ^^ and if your teaching UDK then forget about UT3 altgoether, forever/ and never look back
        - You illustrate the importance for witholding 'licensing laws', for you company, but you ignore Epic's LOL NICE ONE.

- bottom line; you need to buy UT3 for each m achine; OR i suppose you could only install the dedicated server package; and then run editor from there.

- your UT3 license does not extend to what you are proposing and you posted it here. lol fail.

- respect for the effort and for teaching though

Comment

Please send me a Private message Mike, we might be able to work something out if you can show us credentials.

Comment

Originally posted by TKBS View Post
            - You illustrate the importance for witholding 'licensing laws', for you company, but you ignore Epic's LOL NICE ONE.

- bottom line; you need to buy UT3 for each m achine; OR i suppose you could only install the dedicated server package; and then run editor from there.

- your UT3 license does not extend to what you are proposing and you posted it here. lol fail.

- respect for the effort and for teaching though
            It has been passed through our licensing and purchasing teams - so the licenses have been viewed and reviewed and we are compliant as far as I am aware. If not then that is the fault of our compliance team.

We have purchased one license for every PC it is to be installed on so we are not doing what you think we are doing.

Comment

where are they teaching UT3? Online course avail? Hope u get your license issue in order.

Comment

Well it seems unlikely that the UT3 license problem will be sorted. It seems odd that a license that is 1 copy per PC saves it's key in a user profile and the encryption of the key changes per user so any new user isn't licensed to use it.

Comment

Hi. Same problem for me. I am teaching game creation and I need 18 licenses for a class full. UDK will not install because our machines do not have Shader 3 but the map editor that comes with the game is sufficient for one of my modules. I have one copy of UT3 and could buy another 17 on Amazon or ebay but I would rather support the original developers and pay for 17 CD keys via the internet. I have tried emailing but have yet to receive a reply. Any help is appreciated. Regards,
                  Chris (Southampton, UK).

Comment

http://forums.epicgames.com/sendmessage.php
                    or
                    write a PM to Flak

Comment

Working...
                    X