Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low fps on win7 64

Hi,

I recently bought Unreal Tournament 3 and was surprised how incredibly bad it's running. During fights I hardly get fps above 40 which is very low for this fast-paced game especially. This is only after launching the game with '-onethread' and '-dx9' options - although I don't know if the latter is helping at all. Before, it felt even worse. Tweaking the graphics isn't doing much. I also tried installing the newest graphics drivers. Still no good though :l
    Now, this is all the more surprising since my system specs exceed the recommended hardware by far (see below). What's the deal here? Can anyone help me with that?

CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 Quad 2.6 GHz
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    RAM: 8 GB

hi and welcome aboard,
    to me ur rig is a bit light to play UT3 @ high GFX settings
    u told u tryed to tweak ur gfx, can u tell a bit more? what detail texture level , what screen resolution and so on?
    i have use several different AMD cpus(athlonx2 5000+,athlonx2 6400+,athlonII 455,phenomII940,phenomII1090t) to run this game and what i noticed for all was that highest was the cpu frequencie more fluid was the game:

under 3,00ghz=not fluid with big drop downs
    between 3,00ghz &3,5ghz =decent result but some big drop downs (especially on some maps like DM-Shangrila)
    between 3,5ghz & 3,8ghz= runs very sweet and fluid except some noticeable slow down (on the same demanding maps)
    over 3.8ghz= no more problems

ur GFX card seem to be enough to run the game @ standart settings on decent sized screen

other things can be in cause like ur AV for example(bitdefender especially)

i hope this can help a little

Comment

Like Blitz said its the CPU. I had the same one and performance was never good on deck or shang. A phenom II will run the game much better. Overclocking will also help. Otherwise custom maps should run fine, stocks will give you probs.

The only other thing you can try is a process manager like Bill's or Prifinity. These will let you set UT3 to a higher priority than other processes which should help with frame rate dips. I use Bill's and run UT3 on 3 out of 4 cores on high CPU priority. You can play around and see what works best.

Comment

Okay guys, I was really surprised by your suggestion that my quad-core wouldn't be able to handle a 5-year-old game, so I decided it is time for a little benchmark.

I created a new plain shortcut to start the game without any options and without steam (since we all know it's ****).
        Then I started a new 5-minute bot match to record a little benchmark demo, and lo and behold, it went ever so smoothly.
        Nonetheless, I benchmarked using FRAPS and that same demo everytime.
        So, here are my avg. fps results:

w/o steam: 95
        w/ steam: 35 (<- what the ****?!)
        w/ steam w/o in-game-interface: 58 (a little better, but still...)

So, what do we learn here?
        Steam is, has always been and will always be the worst bullcrap ever.

Fortunately, it's not necessary for UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldmull View Post
          Okay guys, I was really surprised by your suggestion that my quad-core wouldn't be able to handle a 5-year-old game, so I decided it is time for a little benchmark.

I created a new plain shortcut to start the game without any options and without steam (since we all know it's ****).
          Then I started a new 5-minute bot match to record a little benchmark demo, and lo and behold, it went ever so smoothly.
          Nonetheless, I benchmarked using FRAPS and that same demo everytime.
          So, here are my avg. fps results:

w/o steam: 95
          w/ steam: 35 (<- what the ****?!)
          w/ steam w/o in-game-interface: 58 (a little better, but still...)

So, what do we learn here?
          Steam is, has always been and will always be the worst bullcrap ever.

Fortunately, it's not necessary for UT3.
          Very odd you get the FPS dips with steam running definitely something wrong there. You may get 95 average FPS with your cpu but your min frame rate is going to be more like 45 on deck with that CPU. UT3 is very cpu demanding despite it being an older game.

Comment

Working...
          X