Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update to Duplicate CD Key on Steam accounts

Hi All,

I just want to make an update to the sticky thread above but its closed. Anyway:

UT3 CD keys are NOT tied to Steam Accounts at all. Unfortunately the Steam authentication system and the UT3 authentication system are complete separate. So you cannot use a single Steam account to do multiple installs and expect players to log on with their own Steam Accounts and be able to play together. The UT3 authentication will recognise they all have the same CD code and will prevent them logging onto the same server, whether that is Internet or LAN.

The only solution being to delete the EncryptedProductKey entry in the UTEngine.ini file found deep in your My Games folder.

Apologies if this is all ancient news to you guys. It took me a while to find this and much angry shouting

I can see this situation arising on LANs, where people may own the game on their Steam account, but want to borrow someone else's computer that has UT3 on it.

Comment

Actually I am no longer sure thats the issue

I have two Steam accounts with UT3 licenses. I have one CD key installed on one machine and one on another. I can play one match or one map cycle but after that I get a "Not authorised to play that game on Steam" message.

I hate Steam, wish I'd never been tempted to spend any money and dissuade anyone else from using it

Comment

Originally posted by Ja88ed View Post
        Actually I am no longer sure thats the issue

I have two Steam accounts with UT3 licenses. I have one CD key installed on one machine and one on another. I can play one match or one map cycle but after that I get a "Not authorised to play that game on Steam" message.

I hate Steam, wish I'd never been tempted to spend any money and dissuade anyone else from using it
        Download Patch5 (2.1)
        Extract the UT3.exe file from it.
        Replace the UT3.exe file in your "\Steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3\Binaries" folder with the one you just extracted from the patch
        Create Desktop Shortcuts to the new exe if you'd like and be sure to remove any steam created shortcuts to UT3
        In steam go to your library, right click on Unreal Tournament 3 and select properties
        Under the updates tab select "Do not automatically update this game" and click close

Now you can run the game directly without steam and it shouldn't give you any problems. Never run UT3 through your steam library or it will replace the UT3.exe file you created.

Comment

Working...
        X