No announcement yet.

UT3 has stopped working (at launch)

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    UT3 has stopped working (at launch)

    i've been playing for weeks on this windows 7 x64 install with no problems.. now i go to play a game and i get thrown back to the desktop right after changing resolutions.. the end of my log had a bunch of things like "(filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dll]".. i will try reinstalling video drivers next..

    Yes this all of a sudden started happening to me today. I can't figure out what the problem is. I've been playing UT3 since launch and have never had this problem before. I've tried both Vista32 and Win7-64bit and both refuse to launch UT3 now (the first launch works but doesn't seem to connect online).

    I just did a fresh UT3 install in Win7 64bit with the 2.1 patch. I'm using an ATI 5870 with 10.7 drivers. In Vista the game started refusing to launch a while (but not immediately) after I installed the new 10.8 drivers, so I reverted to 10.7 with no luck.

    In Win7 I have not updated to ATI's 10.8 drivers (still using 10.7) and the game will not launch. Very frustrating. I can't figure out why it won't launch.

    A thought.. Maybe it has something to do with a denial of service attack on the Epic/gamespy master servers? When the game fails to launch, it is communicating online to find the authentication servers so maybe that is it.

    My exact symptom:

    I double click UT3 icon on desktop. It shows the UT3 launch graphic (red & black UT3 graphic with soldier). I then get a black screen which locks up and I do not get the launch movies. After about 10 seconds of a black screen, I am back at the desktop with a windows error dialog "UT3.exe has stopped working."

    Since my Win7 has never seen the 10.8 ATI drivers, I don't think that is the problem. Help!


      I am having the same problem too! I installed UT3 in windows 7 64 bit, updated my Nvidia drivers and everything, applied patch #5 but I get thrown back to the desktop with "UT3 has stopped working" with this at the bottom of the log:

      CxxThrowException() Address = 0x70fe8e89 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a 1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4927_none_d08a205e442db5b5\MSVCR 80.dll]
      Address = 0xbb4f92 (filename not found) [in E:\UnrealTournament3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
      Address = 0xb542f9 (filename not found) [in E:\UnrealTournament3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
      Address = 0xb5548e (filename not found) [in E:\UnrealTournament3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
      Address = 0x7052b416 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_35.dll]
      Address = 0x7057bf4c (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_35.dll]
      free() Address = 0x75e398da (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\syswow64\msvcrt.dll]
      Address = 0x70531e11 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_35.dll]
      Address = 0x70537ed8 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_35.dll]
      Address = 0x70537ed8 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_35.dll]
      Address = 0x70538b58 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_35.dll]
      Address = 0x7057c538 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_35.dll]
      Address = 0x7057c3a6 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_35.dll]
      Address = 0x70592299 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_35.dll]
      Address = 0x705702a7 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_35.dll]
      Address = 0x7052b416 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_35.dll]


        Oh, I just remembered, I think Gamespy is moving some of thier servers for BF2/2142 tonight so maybe the UT3 servers are also being affected.


          I tried deleting my UTgame.ini but now get this error after crashing:

          RaiseException() Address = 0x7583b727 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll]
          CxxThrowException() Address = 0x6bc08e89 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a 1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4927_none_d08a205e442db5b5\MSVCR 80.dll]


            Gamespy datacenter move

            Here is the news item:

            UT3 uses Gamespy.


              Yes I think everyone in the US is affected.


              Showing no one playing in the United States right now. Ignore the Old Dudes/Dames servers, those are bugged/locked at 6 players (open them and see there's no players on them).


                wow.. ok... i had been hoping since i saw "Gamespy unavailable" in my logs.. yay.. at least i didn't do anything more than - log off - reboot - validate files - delete files - install and run spybot - reinstall video drivers - read for 2 hours.. change -nosound - change Busesound - mess with steam.. lol....

                cool.. i am going to assume that is the problem and go to bed...


                  I'm quite sure of it now. I turned off my Internet connection as a test and UT3 launches fine. The reason the game stops working (crashes) is because apparently there is a bug if it can't fully communicate with the Gamespy master server(s). If it can't communicate at all, it launches. Right now it's only partly communicating and that triggers the bug.

                  Yeah lol I was also doing the -nosound and reinstalling drivers, rebooting, installing etc. UT3 is a fun and great game but some basic things like a notification at game launch if/when the Gamespy servers are temporarily down would be a very welcome thing.


                    Well anyways I deleted my whole UT3 folder where it was installed, and the my documents location too, re-installed, applied titan pack and patch 5, now it works fine.


                      outage is over - UT3 loads fine again - no need to reinstall..