Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY computer advice for gaming PC for UT3/COD6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY computer advice for gaming PC for UT3/COD6?

Could some expert PC builders please share some advice on this system I am dreaming of?

I'm looking to build a system for weekend UT3/COD6 gaming and playing around with Maya/ZBrush/UnrealEd3. I'd like to be able to play games like UT3, Modern Warfare 2 and Crysis on full settings. Also, how much money is actually saved by building a DIY 600-900$ gaming system versus buying a pre-built gaming system from a retailer?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Would like now, but can wait. Is there any price advantage to buying parts before or after Christmas? What about the Windows 7 + DirectX11 factor and how those new standards are changing hardware?

BUDGET RANGE: 600-900 or so. Monitor priced separately.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, gaming, gaming! And messing around with Maya/ZBrush/UnrealEd3.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS, optical drive, sound card. I have an 19" LCD from 2004 also I could use.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I guess newegg and tigerdirect are the big ones? Should I be looking elsewhere also? I just want a reputable dealer with a good return policy.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Anything reliable but not overpriced.

OVERCLOCKING: Only if it doesn't void the warranty on suggested parts!

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I'd like that capability if it gives good performance
    for the price.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I currently have a Dell 193FP 2004 1280x1024 19" LCD with VGA-only input. Can you suggest any great deals on a nicer monitor with better response time for gaming? Is widescreen the way to go with gaming these days?

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Looking for a modest, sleek case that is big and easy to build in. Quiet is preferred, but some noise is ok since I'll be gaming with headphones.

Also, I'll probably only have time to game on the weekends due to work/family, so I'm a little reserved about buying "too much" computer because it will just sit there getting outdated during the work week.

Thank you!

Someone else should be able to comment on a good enough parts to build your pc with, as I have not researched/benchmarked enough myself.. but you may want to think twice about MW:2/COD6 as it will not have dedicated servers for multiplayer. A whole lot of people/clans, etc have canceled their pre-order of MW:2. My pc plays the game maxed out at 1600x1200 fine.

Comment

so the PC community for COD:MW2 will not be as exciting due to lack of dedicated PC servers? ****, that sucks. i miss the days of ut2004, when the gaming PLUS mod community were fun as all heck.

so, what's the next big game that will combine the best FPS gaming AND modding??

should i be thinking about not even building a new gaming system...and just giving up and buying a console?? i never thought i'd see that day...

Comment

so, what's the next big game that will combine the best FPS gaming AND modding??
        Alien vs Predator 3 is what I can think of just built my new computer for that reason and many more games like StarCraft II.

Plus with overclocking it wont be needed in more newer CPUs like Intel i5 and i7's.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerglings View Post
          Alien vs Predator 3 is what I can think of just built my new computer for that reason and many more games like StarCraft II.

Plus with overclocking it wont be needed in more newer CPUs like Intel i5 and i7's.
          why did you build your system before AvP3 and Starcraft 2 even come out? won't your system be outdated by 2010? can you post your system setup?

also, what kind of system build would you guys suggest for playing Crysis at max? is it true that if a system can handle Crysis at max, it should be able to handle new games until 2012 (until the next Crytek engine comes out, since the current engine/technology is so ahead of the curve)?

thanks.

Comment

Valuable information.

Comment

why did you build your system before AvP3 and Starcraft 2 even come out? won't your system be outdated by 2010? can you post your system setup?
              CPU: Intel Quad Core i7 860 2.80Ghz 4 cores 8 threads top speed for each core 3.24Ghz.
              Ram: Zeppelin 4GB 1333Mhz getting another 2GB.
              Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 1GB looking at a 260 or 275.
              PSU: 825W Codegen.
              HDD is 1 year old I was on small buget at the time.

Alot of people are still running 8 and 9 series Nvidia cards so don't say anything about mine.

Comment

Well I think it basically comes down to shopping. You look at a lot of retail sites, you read a lot of reviews, you do a lot of google searches.

Learn what the relevant specs are. If you get interested in a component, google the heck out of it. Find out what kind of issues you might run into, before you bring the thing home.

Lots of parts have funny little quirks about about them you might want to know about...

I recently replaced an old NForce motherboard with an Intel based board because the NForce was crashing in UT3. Still have my fingers crossed but at this point I'd say stick to Intel.

Comment

Working...
                X