Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hanging/stuttering problems while game runs, ram problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hanging/stuttering problems while game runs, ram problem?

hello forum

i have a really strange behaviour which i cannot understand. the game hangs every few seconds/minutes for a short period. it happens when turning around, picking up items etc. also in the main menu when you see the map in the background moving.
    it feels like reloading textures/data from hdd when in ancient times you didn't have enough ram. the problem is the same with low or high details.

my system:
    intel dualcore 1,8ghz
    2gb ram
    asus p5b
    ati 4850 with 512mb
    windows vista

drivers and gameupdate are the newst ones. i don't know what to do because the game is running fast enough but this stops make it almost unplayable

Your cpu seems a bit slow to me.
    However, I doubt it's the problem.
    Funnily, sometimes I have the same problems.

Maybe you should check that you are not running many background processes while playing.
    Note: When I had 2 GB (WinXP), my RAM was fully used while playing UT3.
    Vista needs more RAM than XP, so maybe your RAM could be the bottleneck.

When you play, press Alt+Tab and check out the Task-Manager.
    (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and look at the system performance to control the memory usage.
    I doubt you have a G15 keyboard and a plugin which shows you everything on the display.
    (No offense, not many players need something like that.)
    If yes, it's very easy to see it - but the Task-Manager should be enough as well.

Cheers!

Comment

1. the cpu is not the fastest that is true. so i tried to overclock it to 2200mhz and now the game is even running worse.

2. sure 2gb ram is not much, but at the time when ut3 came out i think almost nobody had 4gb in the system. does the game really require that?

3. what is also strange to me is that e.g. bioshock which uses the same engine runs without any problems

Comment

since yesterday i have borderlands which also uses unreal 3 engine and experience the same problem.
        what can be the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by mr.omsn View Post
          1. the cpu is not the fastest that is true. so i tried to overclock it to 2200mhz and now the game is even running worse.

2. sure 2gb ram is not much, but at the time when ut3 came out i think almost nobody had 4gb in the system. does the game really require that?

3. what is also strange to me is that e.g. bioshock which uses the same engine runs without any problems
          well, are u sure your experinced with overlocking your cpu...cuz seems like it got worse cuz tepmerature problems.

Comment

at the moment i have standard cpu speed and the same problem in ut3 and borderlands.
            the games hangs for some seconds, sound goes on. but why?

could it be that this is a problem with the ram of the grafics card?

the cpu has no temperature problems. its only round 40-50°.

Comment

hmm sounds similar to the issues i had with win7, so this may help
              get the direct x Aug c redistributable and install that, also make sure you have the C++ 2008 redist too, that fixed my problems so it 'may' work for you.
              you could also try this
              create a shortcut for UT3, then open the properties and next to the file path name add in after the speech marks -onethread

check this thread for full details
              http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...=703837&page=6
              that will run the game on one core, not ideal but that also fixed the stuttering but try the Dx and C++ first.

Comment

Thats the same thing Ive been having everytime I play the game, except mines happens just as Im running the game rather then at specific times in the game play. It seems slow when I play in general, and the mouse has a considerable lag. I tried to check for RAM and all that, but Ive got 8gigs of ram on VISTA, and a dual core amd 1.8ghz cpu. My video card is an ATI HD 2450 (I think) 1gb. Ive got the latest DX 10, and latest updates for everything but the #5 patch. I dont see why it would be lagging like that.

Comment

Working...
                X