Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Thanks for the reply Star Weaver,

I will update you with the mess that I have found so far.

You are correct that it installs some custom maps in my user profile (which I do back up). To me this is not the way to go if you tell the installer that you want to install the maps for "All Users" but the installers seem to insist on this anyway. I tried moving that content to the matching folders in D:\Games\Unreal Tournament 3 (mainly NVIDIAPhysX content) and it appears to still work.

The last two bonus packs I found installed themselves into C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3 even though I have NEVER allowed ANY game installer EVER to go into my C drive. I clicked on Details when the bonus pack installer was running and saw it installing into that directory even though I specifically told it to go into D:\Games\Unreal Tournament 3. This is a horrible bug that will likely trip up a lot of folks. I moved all of the content from C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3 to the matching folders in D:\Games\Unreal Tournament 3 and then it showed up in the game menus.

So to sum it up once I found out where these various installers were dumping content and moved it into the D:\Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\CustomMaps directory everything seemed to show up properly.

I don't know if there will be any problems with this outcome but it is the only way I will be able to play the game. Hopefully someone at Epic will see this and make note of it. After all of this I can see the allure of the console ports but as far as FPS games go the PC is the best way to go.

Thanks again,

Hoyt

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The game does by default store your custom maps and mods and junk in

C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Games\...I forget...\UTGame\Stuff

Or wherever you instruct windows to keep your profile directory.

I would imagine you're backing up your doc&settings stuff between OS installations? I would think it would keep working then. But, you might want to look into the -nohomedir command line option, which, while I'm not sure how it works, does something that allows you to put your stuff somewhere other than the windows profile.

(I'm going to go look it up at some point just because my C drive is slower than my other ...)

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Bonus maps don't show up to play in menus

Bonus maps don't show up to play in menus

Hello all,

I haven't played UT3 a lot so I keep forgetting to try and figure this out. None of the maps from the community bonus packs show up in my game selection menus. I figure it must have something to do with the game (like a lot of them these days) trying to navigate multiple accounts on the same computer instead of just keeping track of things in the main game directory.

I should also mention that my system is always a work in progress. All my programs that I keep track of (like my games) are on one physical hard drive (D) and my operating system (Vista X64) is on drive C. I wipe and reinstall the operating system hard drive several times a year. My Steam games are fine with this as are my older games that don't try to be so "Microsoft Freindly". My version of UT3 is the retail boxed one I bought at the store. It is installed to D:\Games\Unreal Tournament 3.

Is there a way to get the bonus map packs to show up in the game menus without having to reinstall the game completely every time I do an OS reinstall? Subconsciously this may be why I have not played the game much. I want to use the new content but have never been able to access it.

Having to reinstall 10 gigs worth of software every time I want to play a particular game whenever I change my OS drive would put things in the "too much trouble to fool with" category.

Many thanks to all that reply. I am hoping that maybe there will be a configuration file that I could edit to get the things to show up or something.

Hoyt
Working...
X