Mouse Stutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse Stutter

My mouse is not smooth in-game. It seems to skip around. I have tried 2 different mice. Specs:

Windows XP Home SP3
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.0 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Superclocked 512 MB
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    2 GB RAM

Please help!

I'm just curious what two mice you used?

Comment

I have a Logitech Ultra-X laser mouse and a Creative Labs Fatal1ty gaming mouse.

Just for the record, I had just finished trying UT3 on Vista Home Premium SP1 with the exact same machine, and the mouse was even worse.

Comment

It might be a problem with your PC. Have you gone back to basics? Is it a malfunctioning USB port? Are your mouse drivers installed? BIOS settings? Is it even a mouse issue, or do you have the graphics maxed out to 5/5 with V-sync on, possibly causing stuttering? Whats your resolution and refresh rate?

I'm no tech support guy but your rig should be ideal for medium-high settings on Ut3. It's similar to mine and I never have any performance or input problems, good luck

Comment

I did in fact max everything out, but I left V-sync off because the performance hit was crazy. I'll try out the default settings and get back to you ASAP.

EDIT: Stupid me, guess my system can't handle UT3 maxed out. Works fine with default settings. Really sorry for wasting all your time. Happy fragging!

EDIT again: Ugh, I tried the Warfare map Downtown and the mouse is till not smooth. It's close, but the sensitivity seems to vary, or something. hard to explain. How do I check for a faulty USB port?

Comment

Well on the USB port issue I just wondered if your mouse had a good connection, or if the port was physically loose or broken. You mentioned having the problem with 2 different mice and OS's. As far as checking them I don't know other than trying them out with different devices.

I have the impression from these forums and playing the game that mouse sensitivity can be variable in-game, and tied to your frame rate. If the FPS is spiking and falling then your mouse sens. might be too. Try to eliminate all mouse acceleration and adjust your graphics to get as stable a frame rate as possible. Also try to match your refresh rate to the frame rate, if you're on a CRT putting out 85Hz but you left UT3 locked at 62 FPS, then that won't look or feel so great. Have you gotten rid of the Windows mouse acceleration? I used the CPLMouseFix to kill it in XP, but I don't know about Vista.

A cool trick I picked up on this forum for V-sync (I'm too lazy to find the thread lol) is to set the Frame Rate cap to 1 less than your refresh rate... that is if I play at 1680X1050 I get 60 Hz so I set fps cap to 59, and leave V-sync on. That way the monitor is always ready for the next frame, and you get perfectly smooth consistent gameplay with no input lag! The only thing is your PC must be able keep up that fps.

Hope this helps

Comment

Is everyone using wireless laser mice? i've been playing ut for years and always reverted back to a good old fashioned cable mouse

Comment

Turning on vsync and capping the framerate helped! Thank you. Too bad a lot of my other games suffered with the same setup. I guess most games are designed to run at the highest possible framerate. Anyway, I found settings that work great for me now. Thanks for your help!

About the wireless mouse, I guess I messed up. It's not wireless. Wireless mice seem to have latency. Wired FTW!

Comment

No problem, I'm glad your UT3 is running better. It's funny you guys brought up wired vs. wireless mice... I hadn't considered that you might be using a wireless and getting the lag from that.

I actually played through all of Doom 3, HL2, and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory with a wireless MS Intellimouse before someone informed me that wired was the way to go. For me, swapping to a good wired mouse made almost as dramatic an improvement in some games as upgrading the cpu or video card. Wired FTW indeed!!

Comment

I also played with a wireless mouse and keyboard set, before I clued in about input latency. The worst part was, the keyboard would cut out when I held a directional key to move. I would just stop moving and have to release and hold the key again. Very annoying. So yeah, while wireless is convenient, it doesn't seem to be very good for hardcore gaming.

Comment

This sucks. I'm using the default settings and my mouse still skips around uncontrollably sometimes. I had to set everything to lowest just to play. What can I do?

Comment

Working...
                      X