Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Epic and Users of the forum

Hello.
    This would be my first post since I joined recently.

Dear Epic and Users of the forum. I am owner of ASUS A7Sn laptop and I am experiencing problems with permanent UT3 freezing wich result in system reboot.

Ive recently searched the web and the forum for solution.

Ive seen the stickied recomendation of drivers - there is only one problem... They are not compatible with my graphics card (since they are for desktop computers not laptop).

At the game's box it is written that game may not be compatible with all laptops.
    So my two questions are about if my would be compatible and if there is possible working solution for this freezing problem.

Here are my system specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 Processor - 2.40Ghz
    3 Gigs of RAM
    nVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS
    Microsoft Windows Vista 32 bit Home Premium
    320 internal + 650 external GB HDD
    Realtek HD Audio

Unreal Tournament is located at second partition of first (internal) hard drive.

As far as I know nvidia desktop card drivers will work on laptop versions of their chips.
    My laptop has a 9300m and its using the latest nvidia drivers with no issues tho UT3 runs slow on it as its a weak card.

You should be able to play UT3 decently with your laptop, have you tried lowering the game settings, maybe disabling PhysX on nvidia control panel will help.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMaster View Post
      As far as I know nvidia desktop card drivers will work on laptop versions of their chips.
      My laptop has a 9300m and its using the latest nvidia drivers with no issues tho UT3 runs slow on it as its a weak card.

You should be able to play UT3 decently with your laptop, have you tried lowering the game settings, maybe disabling PhysX on nvidia control panel will help.
      I will try the drivers from the sticky then, but tell me shall I disable physx instantly or shall I give it a try without disabling it?

Also Ive experimented with various detail settings and miscular options - this has no affect however. The freezing problem appears regardless the graphical tweaking.

Sometimes I am able to play for 3 hours and then it freezes, but sometimes it freezes after 5 minutes.

I will report back in after I try the drivers with disabled physx.

Comment

It seems that you were wrong and I was right.
        Desktop drivers cannot be used on laptop.
        Take a look yourself:

Comment

Progress report: Taking the track of stickied topic that suggested old beta drivers (wich didnt work for laptop as above) I went to nVIDIA page and diged up oldest beta laptop driver I could find there(179.28), tested(with physx turned off) and still nothing.
          Freezing still appears...

Comment

No further responses?
            Come on... I want to get this problem solved...

Comment

This is a "mobile" Geforce, right? Try finding graphics drivers on your Laptop manufacturer's download website.

For my ATI-based laptop I need to modify the desktop graphics drivers with a special tool to make them install, but otherwise they seem to work fine. Maybe a similar process is required for Nvidia desktop graphics drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
                This is a "mobile" Geforce, right? Try finding graphics drivers on your Laptop manufacturer's download website.

For my ATI-based laptop I need to modify the desktop graphics drivers with a special tool to make them install, but otherwise they seem to work fine. Maybe a similar process is required for Nvidia desktop graphics drivers.
                Yes this is mobile Geforce Series 9 (9500 M GS).
                Tell me more about the nature of the problem you solved?
                You had the same troube on your laptop - could you explain what did you made to work fine?

Im currently testing game with sound turned off as sugested in some guide.
                Got up to date drivers back.
                How do you moduify and with what tool to make them desktop drivers work with laptop ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sebban View Post
                  It seems that you were wrong and I was right.
                  Desktop drivers cannot be used on laptop.
                  Take a look yourself:

Nope I'm right they work fine, tho there are chips that specifically require their own driver and some are locked to only use signed drivers by the laptops manufacturer.

I am currently runing the 186.18 on my laptop wich are the most recent desktop drivers available on Nvidia.com while the most recent Laptop drivers are the 186.03.

[screenshot]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb234/IzayoiKagemaru/deskonmob.jpg[/screenshot]

Comment

Then how do I get it to install and work ?
                    As a reminder: My OS is Win Vista Home Premium 32 Bit. I see you are using Windows 7

Also - your driver is not the same version as the recomanded in sticky: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=659371
                    Will it work for me and make my UT freeze-free ?

Comment

Why not just use the nvidia notebook driver?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce...6.03_whql.html

It would seem nvidia now has drivers available for all their recent mobile chips.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebban View Post
                        Then how do I get it to install and work ?
                        As a reminder: My OS is Win Vista Home Premium 32 Bit. I see you are using Windows 7

Also - your driver is not the same version as the recomanded in sticky: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=659371
                        Will it work for me and make my UT freeze-free ?
                        You can't use the check tool you have to download the driver package and install it.

Try this link...
                        http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...6.18_whql.html

Comment

Back from testing.
                          We squared out things I didnt understood.
                          Most recently suggestet driver didnt worked.
                          Tested tons of drivers recently moded and unmoded - none seem to help :S

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                          Why not just use the nvidia notebook driver?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce...6.03_whql.html

It would seem nvidia now has drivers available for all their recent mobile chips.
                          Because that doesent fix the freezing problem thats why :S
                          Im looking for a solution to freezing problem on laptop. Im desperate enough to use any kind of driver that will solve my problem, but already tested latest nVIDIA laptop drivers and all of previous, some custom and moded ones too.

Some was able to lift a bit temperature off the gpu some improved performance and some gaved me more time before game frozen but it still freezes.

Comment

Hello ? Anybody ?
                            Ive been testing a lot of things recently - various ut settings (switched dx10 off so the game used dx9 renedering mode), used a lot of moded drivers and changed settings everywhere to lowest aka performance and still nothing. Im getting freezes like before and nothing seems to help it so far...

I know for sure that it aint overheating problem. I got Fallout 3 wich I play highest resolution at highest detail and I never had nor never have at the moment any problems with it - it never frozen.

Similar thing happens in X-Men Origins Wolverine since its the same Unreal Enigne 3, but even though I manage to complete the game it only frozen in like very crowdy situations sometimes random too, but not that often as UT3 wich is even set to lowest and 800x600.

Anybody... Please help...

P.S: In case somebody asks if I meet the minimum requirements of the game here is a screenshot that I met both minimum and recomanded.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS GAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Comment

do you have a way to monitor how hot your laptop is running? Sounds as if you are overheating to me.. just a guess though

dave

Comment

Working...
                              X