Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Ping Issues

Hi

I've been an avid player of UT3 since it's release. Never had consistent problems with it until now.

I recently upgraded my broadband to 8mb from 2mb.

I was having very high ping issues on every server about 2-3 weeks before the changeover.

When I test my internet externally it seems fine. In UT3 though, I just can't get it lower than 180-200. This happens mainly late afternoons and evenings.

I did read the FAO on lag issues. Nothing's really changed my end in the two years I've been playing.

Does anyone have any advice to offer?

Thanks

Originally posted by krysiz View Post
    Hi

I've been an avid player of UT3 since it's release. Never had consistent problems with it until now.

I was having very high ping issues on every server about 2-3 weeks before the changeover.

When I test my internet externally it seems fine. In UT3 though, I just can't get it lower than 180-200. This happens mainly late afternoons and evenings.

I did read the FAO on lag issues. Nothing's really changed my end in the two years I've been playing.

Thanks
    Can you give us some Internet speed test results? With UT3 the net code works a little different than earlier UT games. UT3 uses UDP ports instead of TCP. What that means is: UDP protocol processes information as it arrives. TCP processes information only in proper order of the packet number. So if the packets arrive out of order it has to wait for the missing packets.
    Bottom line. Ping is not as important with UT3 as it use to be with earlier UT games.

Comment

Hi

Thanks
      hey krysiz i asume youre the krysiz from raptor warfare server ; ).The raptor server is always a bit crappy especially in the evening when there a lot of people online.The server just can't handle it.Check or you get the same pings on a low ping dm server /duel server/ or any other game mode or server.I really doubt you got bad ping everywhere unless if you play in russia..

Comment

Hey yeah i'm on Raptor sometimes! When I do the speed test I get a decent result of 42-80 ping and 6-8mpbs. Then I go into the game on any match mode and all the servers a high. Even happened this morning - I'm getting so fed up now!

Are these the type of results you want from me Horndog?

Comment

Are you sure it's not your ISP throttling back your connection between certain hours? Seriously , it's called traffic shaping and some broadband providers can drop you to dial up speeds during what they class as peak usage time.

Comment

It sounds like a possible cause! It does seem to happen excessively around peak time. Is there a way round this?

Comment

Hey yeah i'm on Raptor sometimes! When I do the speed test I get a decent result of 42-80 ping and 6-8mpbs. Then I go into the game on any match mode and all the servers a high. Even happened this morning - I'm getting so fed up now!

Are these the type of results you want from me Horndog?
              How does the game play at your high ping? Why don't you ping the server IP? It could be just another game bug (player ping) or you are playing during times of high Internet congestion. Also as was suggested, the server can't handle the game traffic. Traffic shaping could go both ways. If the server you play on is hosted, they could be over extended with there available resources. (to many game servers - not enough horse power and bandwidth or server is throttled down too far for the number of slots the server advertises.)
              Does your ping improve on other servers with in the same browser area?

Comment

That happened to me as well I had my ping around 100-120 when i upgraded my internet speed started to get 145 as my best ping.

Comment

Just in case any of you were wondering, a killernic card doesn't make any difference, at least not with my **** connection, but on the plus side it sure does look cool!

Comment

Somehow I think It could be a game bug because when I run a speed test, everything is fine. What should I check for in order to test this theory?

Comment

Somehow I think It could be a game bug because when I run a speed test, everything is fine. What should I check for in order to test this theory?
                      If the in game ping reading was not available how does the game play?

Comment

The in game ping is available and that's how I know i'm getting 300ping

Comment

Good luck I hope you find your problem.

Comment

Wow, you've still got this problem

How is your ping with other games, do you have a UT2004 disc that you can install to check UT3's ping against? Needless to say, 300 is far too high, really, worst case, you should be seeing european servers at 60-140.

Comment

Originally posted by Moloko View Post
                              Wow, you've still got this problem

How is your ping with other games, do you have a UT2004 disc that you can install to check UT3's ping against? Needless to say, 300 is far too high, really, worst case, you should be seeing european servers at 60-140.
                              I regulary get 200 plus in the evenings but it's fine early morning to mid-afternoon.

Today I reached an all time high of 2200ping!!

Comment

Working...
                              X