Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Force ATI Crossfire for any game! No more waiting on drivers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Force ATI Crossfire for any game! No more waiting on drivers.

I came across this free tool last night. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=293467 It allows you to make individual crossfire profiles for any game. Basically you just import the .exe file, and pick the options you perfer. It may help out dual GPU owners alot, and I got a nice performance boost in Fallout 3. I've read a few threads for crossfire issues in Ut3 with the 3870x2/4850x2/4870x2 over the last year or so, so I figured I'd share this neat little tool, too see if it helps anyone.

Bump. I'm surprised no one seemed interested in this tool. This is something that ATI owners have wanted in the Catalyst control center for a looooong time. Well owners of crossfire systems anyway.

When a new game comes out and crossfire isn't supported right out the gate, this tool will allow you to use crossfire, by forcing it yourself. Through a custom profile that you have to make. Sounded real good to me, since two or three of the games I play didn't work with crossfire for a couple months after release. I would of loved to of had this tool back then. Oh well got it now. lol

Comment

I currently run an nvidia card but back when I had a couple 3870s I ran them in crossfire. Unfortunately I had problems with micro stutter so I upgraded to a GTX 260 core 216.

Generally UT3 is CPU limited not GPU limited. I recommend running UT3 and other games using the unreal engine without crossfire or sli.

Comment

The last few drivers from ATI have been a world better, so that may of helped a little(been alot of crossfire enhancements in 9.7 and 9.8 catalyst).

After reading around about micro-stutter, I found out that it is usually related to Alternate-frame rendering, because one card displays the first frame and while that happens the second card prepares the second frame, which also gets sent out to the first card for display, causing 10-20ms of input lag. This is usually where the micro-stutter happens.

With splitframe rendering (Scissor Mode), one GPU takes care of the top 50% of the screen, and the second gpu takes care of the bottom 50%. When this method is used the micro-stutter usually dissapears, and is replaced by screen tearing in the middle of the screen. You can clear up the screen tearing by enabling v-sync, and triple buffering, or you can crank the details until the FPS is close to your refresh rate.

Anyway this tool gives 4 different options for crossfire rendering, and all can be forced in profiles for each different game. It's not a universal switch across all games, just the one you set the profile for. Try each mode to see what fares best.

Comment

Working...
        X