Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
    You would be much better off just reducing your quality settings some. Notebook performance is limited by heat dissipation, and yours has plenty to dissipate without trying to OC. A notebook is still a notebook and yes, yours is about the best you can get, but, it's still not a desktop game platform.

Most benchmarks are not directly comparable to real life results. There are maximum, minimum, and average frame rates that vary map to map and depend on player numbers, etc. Since there is no benchmark standard for UT3, there are many possible results. Obviously, if your selling something, then your not going to advertise the minimum frame rates or even the average, max rates are much more impressive. There is always a disclaimer of some sort like results may vary or something equivalent.
    yhea your right but i managed to oget really good performance out of it as too run ut3 very smoothly so im very happy with that thanks for all the help

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by UnrealGaz View Post
    ahh thank you very much i see why. on my desk top i have a 2ghz dual core and a ncidia 8800gtx and i have way higher frame rates on this one compared too the laptop surely it should be the opposite way around .

sorry too sound like a noob but know any s afe overclocking programmes for me too up the laptop speed a little?

thanks

Gaz
    You would be much better off just reducing your quality settings some. Notebook performance is limited by heat dissipation, and yours has plenty to dissipate without trying to OC. A notebook is still a notebook and yes, yours is about the best you can get, but, it's still not a desktop game platform.

Most benchmarks are not directly comparable to real life results. There are maximum, minimum, and average frame rates that vary map to map and depend on player numbers, etc. Since there is no benchmark standard for UT3, there are many possible results. Obviously, if your selling something, then your not going to advertise the minimum frame rates or even the average, max rates are much more impressive. There is always a disclaimer of some sort like results may vary or something equivalent.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sincreator View Post
    UT3 LOVES a higher cpu speed, and those 3870's are not running at there best with the CPU clocked at 2.4ghz. If you were to be at 3.2ghz, your results would be very different. Here's my OLD cpu with x-fire 3870's:

System Information
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP
    System memory: 2.0 GB
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+
    CPU speed: 3433 MHz
    Sound system: SB Audigy 4 [E800]
    VGA Information
    Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 3870 edit 3870 x2
    Memory: 512.0 MB
    Driver version: 6.14.0010.6912 (English)
    Benchmark Information
    Benchmark type: Flyby
    Demo: vCTF-Corruption
    Motion Blur: Disabled
    Hardware Physics: Disabled
    Anisotropic filtering: 16×

Resolution: 1280 × 720 (Custom)
    Score = 101 FPS

Notice my cpu speed was at 3.4ghz for this benchmark. It's pretty safe to assume that if you OCed your CPU your results may change drastically.

With my new CPU being clocked at 2.6ghz at stock(Triple core) I was seeing about 100fps@1920x1080 max in game settings, and about 180fps@1280x720. Once Overclocked to 3.6ghz, both the CPU performance and GPU performance went up HUGE.

Check this out at 3.6ghz with a little GPU overclock thrown in for good measure.

The benchmark started at 18/05/2009 1:29:10 PM

System Information
    Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate
    System memory: 3071 MB
    CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 710 Processor
    CPU speed: 3600 MHz
    Graphics card: - 0 MB 3870 x2 Core=840mhz Memory=GDDR-4@1251mhz
    Benchmark Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Score = 245 FPS Crossfire enabled

1920x1080

The benchmark started at 18/05/2009 1:35:08 PM

System Information
    Benchmark Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution: 1920×1080 (HD WideScreen)
    Score = 157 FPS Crossfire enabled

As you can see the difference after overclocks were very different.
    ahh thank you very much i see why. on my desk top i have a 2ghz dual core and a ncidia 8800gtx and i have way higher frame rates on this one compared too the laptop surely it should be the opposite way around .

sorry too sound like a noob but know any s afe overclocking programmes for me too up the laptop speed a little?

thanks

Gaz

update after much tinkering around with catalst settings and windows setting i have managed too improve my fps dramaticly.
    i got it too run at 1900x1200 resolution max settings and 8x aa 8xaf and its still pretty smooth and fast thank you for all your help
    hit me a pm Gaz online sometime

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Agree with post above. The 3.2-3.4ghz dual core cpu(can be even the core2duo, like mine ) and 4870 card, and you will have no framerate drops whatsoever

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UT3 LOVES a higher cpu speed, and those 3870's are not running at there best with the CPU clocked at 2.4ghz. If you were to be at 3.2ghz, your results would be very different. Here's my OLD cpu with x-fire 3870's:

System Information
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP
    System memory: 2.0 GB
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+
    CPU speed: 3433 MHz
    Sound system: SB Audigy 4 [E800]
    VGA Information
    Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 3870 edit 3870 x2
    Memory: 512.0 MB
    Driver version: 6.14.0010.6912 (English)
    Benchmark Information

Score = 101 FPS

Notice my cpu speed was at 3.4ghz for this benchmark. It's pretty safe to assume that if you OCed your CPU your results may change drastically.

With my new CPU being clocked at 2.6ghz at stock(Triple core) I was seeing about 100fps@1920x1080 max in game settings, and about 180fps@1280x720. Once Overclocked to 3.6ghz, both the CPU performance and GPU performance went up HUGE.

Check this out at 3.6ghz with a little GPU overclock thrown in for good measure.

The benchmark started at 18/05/2009 1:29:10 PM

System Information
    Benchmark Information

Score = 245 FPS Crossfire enabled

1920x1080

The benchmark started at 18/05/2009 1:35:08 PM

System Information
    Benchmark Information

Resolution: 1920×1080 (HD WideScreen)
    Score = 157 FPS Crossfire enabled

As you can see the difference after overclocks were very different.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic performance issues

performance issues

hey all.

i recently baught a brandnew alienware laptop m17.acorrding too the benchmark of the demo they ran on it it was scoreing 57 fps.now the problem.
    when i run the game on the laptop it runs no where near as fast as theysay it does i have tried updateing drivers and no increases at all any other suggestions?.

its running on 2.4ghz duo core/2x 512 radeon HD 3870 cards/4 gigs ram and 1 terrabyte-0 raid drives

also no programes running in the background.

but when i play my mmo lineage 2 i can play at 1900.1200 maxed out setting 16x antialising 16 anscopic filtering and its a constant 60fps.
    surely it shouldent dip down too 20 fps in ut3.

thanks

Gaz
Working...
X