Matinee playing too fast... what?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matinee playing too fast... what?!

Okay, I've been working on this project off and on for the past few months.

I'm making a music video to a song that I have done. The theme of the video is a big room with a bunch of odd machines, drums, pipes, sparks, steam, and all that kind of stuff, all animated in tune and rythm to the sounds in the song.

So far, everything has been okay. I've learned everything I need to know (some things taking way longer than they should have in order to find) up to this point.

Now, here's my current situation:

Up until now, I had the issue of the game showing the "UnrealEngine3" watermark at the top of the screen. I searched far and long on how to remove it but could not find anything. Being the creative genius that I am, I figured turning the map into one of the active gametypes (such as deathmatch) would fix this problem. I came to this conclusion due to the fact that the player would spawn in the game (when I tested it) with no weapon or HUD.

Aside from the watermark, everything else is perfect. The speed of the movie, camera, movements and everything I've scripted so far looks wonderful. I wanted to record a demo (using Fraps externally) to show off to those interested, but I didn't want to do it with the watermark still up there.

So, I found out that in order to have it recognized as a Deathmatch gametype, you had to save it as "DM-mapname". I did so, and now, when I test the level, the players spawns with a HUD and a weapon. I began testing the movie using a trigger, but the HUD was not disappearing (despite having the "Toggle cinematic mode" option in Kismet with "HideHUD" enabled. Is this a bug?). I solved this problem using the "showhud" command before hitting the trigger.

And here's the problem:

Now that I'm running it with this gametype active, the cinematics play at a much faster speed and are WAY out of sync with the music.

And I'm at a complete loss as to how to fix it.

It runs fine in the original file without the "DM-" extension, but then it still has the watermark.

I tried saving it as "UTCin-mapname" to maybe run it as a cinematic gametype, but that didn't fix it. All that did was give me a message popup that reads "Please reconnect your controller to continue (1)", and even then the cinematic still plays at an increased speed (but at least the HUD is gone, minus the annoying watermark message).

Then I tried altering the "Playrate" property of the matinee, and that didn't affect it at all (and thank god it didn't because I have dozens of different matinee sequences running in the later stages of the video, editing and re-syncing them would have been way too frustrating).

So I don't know what to do. Is the gameplay itself causing the matinee to play faster than everything else? Is the music that is activated by the matinee playing slower than it should? I don't think that's the problem because the music plays at it's regular speed but the sequence is just playing too fast.

Here's a general idea of what the kismet structure looks like

- Primary Matinee Sequence (with all camera controls and numerous external events that activate/deactivate different instruments)

Below that are individual matinee sequences for every instrument, and 1 sequence for each of the different instrument animations (which there can be more than 1 of) Overall I would estimate there to be about 30 or 40, probably more.

There are also sequences for the lights coming on and off that are also controlled by the primary matinee sequence

Because of the fact that all the animations remain in sync with themselves (and not the music), it leads me to believe there is a problem where the game itself is literally "playing too fast" while the music lags behind. This still doesn't make sense because when I go into the matinee editor and use the play function, the camera moves in tune with the music perfectly, but in game it still moves to fast (but remains in sync with all of the different sequences all running at the same time.

So, I just don't know where to go to fix this. I might have to be stuck leaving it in "editor mode" and working around the "UnrealEditor3" watermark. Unless somebody here is familiar with this issue and can offer a solution (which is what I hope), and if so, I will be eternally grateful!

Bite the bullet and take the watermark?

You could also download a gamespeed mutator and try to slow the gamespeed down once you've published the map. That also leads me to the question, have you published the map and then seen the gameplay still to fast for the music or is this just happening in the editor?

sorry mate, wish I could help more.

Comment

Originally posted by Kornswag View Post
      Bite the bullet and take the watermark?

You could also download a gamespeed mutator and try to slow the gamespeed down once you've published the map. That also leads me to the question, have you published the map and then seen the gameplay still to fast for the music or is this just happening in the editor?

sorry mate, wish I could help more.
      Aye, both the cooked version and editor version suffer from the same issue.

Apparently what I'll just have to do is adjust the camera angles up a bit so I can knock out the watermark in the video editing program I use. If anybody else has any other ideas, please post them, and thanks for your suggestion too :3 glad to see folks are willing to lend a hand.

Comment

Originally posted by RCTFORME View Post
        Aye, both the cooked version and editor version suffer from the same issue.

Apparently what I'll just have to do is adjust the camera angles up a bit so I can knock out the watermark in the video editing program I use. If anybody else has any other ideas, please post them, and thanks for your suggestion too :3 glad to see folks are willing to lend a hand.
        Have you tried to alter the gamespeed with a mutator yet? Because I know that when I've used one, the gamespeed is slower but the audio is still running at normal speed. There are mutators out there that have a multitude of different speeds so if one isn't right, you can just make it a bit higher or lower. Just something to try

Hope you get it figured out!

Comment

Maybe you edited the matinee with the game's speed that is used when you don't use the DM prefix (I might be talking nonsense here so if someone knows please correct me). I know that when you playtest a map without a prefix, the speed is different, and when you add the prefix it speeds up a bit. Maybe that's cause the problem. I hope not because that could mean that you have to start again!

Comment

Working...
          X