Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPK Package seperate to Map used by mistake - advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPK Package seperate to Map used by mistake - advice needed!

Hi guys,

As you can probably tell from the nature of the problem, I'm very new to UT editing. I've created an entire level with a lot of custom static meshes and textures and did not realise that all of these should be saved within the Map, and not in a seperate package. Possibly the worst mistake I could have made, but that's how it is. Lesson learnt, but the problem remains.

When it comes to publishing and distribution this is a major issue - I was told that renaming files will solve the problem (changing the package name in each object's properties) but not only did this not work, it didn't save any of the transferred objects, materials and textures within the .ut3 map file.

I've exhausted every possibility and almost 20 hours in i'm still getting nowhere - can anyone offer any advice to help a newbie out please? Either how to transfer info in packages to other packages, or how to Publish maps using external packages in UT3 (oh, and i'm using Vista 64 as well) - whatever it takes to get the map working!

Thanks in advance.

-R

You can cook the map with the frontend tool and it will also cook the external package I believe.

The frontend tool is found in the "Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries" folder.

Comment

Ah, I see... I did look at the Frontend tool but i'm not entirely sure what needs to be done in order to successfully cook and publish a map using it.

Are there any tutorials or online help that deal with publishing for PC (Vista) using the Frontend tool? I found one for PS3 but that's not much use as this level is designed to be used only with the PC version of UT3.

-R

Comment

You can still cook the map as is, although you will have a seperate package to distribute in an Environments folder.

It would take quite a bit of time to put them all into the map package and fix it, so the easiest was to be to distribute with the additional file, in the folder and make it very obvious in the readme/download threads that it's required.

Comment

Thanks guys - i'll try that and see what happens.

The package that has to be supplied would be a standard .upk, right? Meaning i'd have to supply the exact same file i've been using to save my custom textures and meshes in?

-R

Comment

How much custom content you talking about?

Here is what I told another guy in your shoes on this thread...

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...596235&page=81

...go down to my 2nd post for how to place it back into your map package.

Even if it takes you like 20 miniutes I think I would spend the time doing this.

Another option for you to think about.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Ah, so by renaming each asset/material/etc and playing it in the Map package, this will overcome the problem?

Custom Content = lots, by the way. It's a complete custom map for a project i've been working on. It's full of original textures and static meshes, bumping the .upk to over 600MB, but this map isn't intended for online distribution so I didn't think that would be as much of an issue.

I did try renaming files before but for some reason they wouldn't save in the Generic Browser when I tried - that said, it was about 4am so maybe fatigue kicked in and I missed something obvious.

Just to clarify:

In the Generic Browser, a package is created when you load a .upk file in the main window, right? (eg. would opening DM-testmap.ut3 generate a DM-testmap.upk in the Generic Browser's list?)

Then, loading OtherNamePackage.upk in the Generic Browser, going through each item in there and renaming the package in the drop-down menu to DM-testmap will solve the issue - or have I missed something?

Thanks for the help so far, it's all making a lot more sense (and I realise the importance if naming conventions and a disceplined pipeline now!)

-R

Originally posted by Làámßø View Post
              How much custom content you talking about?

Here is what I told another guy in your shoes on this thread...

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...596235&page=81

...go down to my 2nd post for how to place it back into your map package.

Even if it takes you like 20 miniutes I think I would spend the time doing this.

Another option for you to think about.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
              X