Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know why UT3 wants to install DirectX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know why UT3 wants to install DirectX?

Just curious why it asks to install Direct X with the game if your already running the newest version?

If I hit cancel on the DX install it proceeds to install the 2 other packages then will just crash upon trying to run the game (Unlike in Quake wars where it seems to run fine if you skip its Direct X install)

When the game has you install DirectX and the Visual Basic C++ redistributable, are they different then the ones already on your system? (the Redistributable was already installed from another game, and it even asks when you have the one from Microsofts web site)

Make this:
    Start -> run -> dxdiag
    (At least if you have XP, Vista may be a bit different).
    Then you go to DirectX files and you will be able to see the date of the files.
    [shot]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9716/91956721.jpg[/shot]

That means even if you have the newest DirectX for your operating system (for example DirectX 9.0c), there could be newer version as well.
    (A newer "Redistributable".)

Greets

Comment

Ahh I was using Vista which is supposed to have DirectX 10, which is why I was a bit confused on why it is trying to install an older version when 10 is supposed to take care of all older DirectX calls aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaskar View Post
        Ahh I was using Vista which is supposed to have DirectX 10, which is why I was a bit confused on why it is trying to install an older version when 10 is supposed to take care of all older DirectX calls aswell.
        Most games have a Redistributable DirectX package with the install process it simply launches it and checks for older files, if all is up do date nothing is installed.
        So its quite simple it doesnt force any files on your system unless you have ones that are older.

Comment

Working...
        X