Lan trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Have you tried connecting the PC's directly via an ethernet cable? Sometimes going through a router or a wireless router can cause problems. Depending on the product, routers usually have a limit to how much data they can transfer and how many simultaneous connections they can have. (I used to have a wireless router with 5 or 6 PC's and laptops connected to it, bloody nightmare).

If you are still getting problems when not using a router then you can only assume its a problem with the game or a software problem somewhere else. Although my personal experience with LAN games on Ut2004 has been pretty good, didn't get any lag spikes at all. I haven't tried a UT3 LAN game yet, but it could be that you or your friend have conflicting drivers somewhere.

Just as an after thought, you don't happen to be running two different version of Windows by any chance? I did hear somewhere that there were network problems between Vista and XP.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    is DMZ enabled?

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Lan trouble

Lan trouble

Me and a friend are playing ut3 on a lan and for some reason he is experiencing very bad lag spikes. Everything will be running fine then suddenly he will super lag out for 3-10 seconds and then be fine again for about 30 seconds. This is strange because we play tons of games over this lan together and never have any trouble except that we had the same problem when playing ut2004.

I know this is kind of a general question and we are searching around and checking firewalls etc, but i'm posting here in the hopes that this is a common issue that i've just missed. I'm wondering if it could be a router port thing since it occured in two different versions of unreal and i assume they use the same ports?
Working...
X