My UT3 Intermittent Lockup Fix!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My UT3 Intermittent Lockup Fix!

Ever since Unreal Tournament 3 was released in November 2007, I was plagued with the game intermittently locking up and freezing on me after playing a while. I've tried everything from various Nvidia drivers (some helped better than others) to getting my 8800GTX temeratures cooler to replacing all 4GB of my PC memory, but nothing solved the intermittent freezing problem.

A couple days ago I accidentally stubbled upon a fix that worked for me that I discovered from a mistake I've been making. You see in every Unreal series game I've played, I've always made backup copies of my game configuration INI files and saved them all into the same folder. The other day I made another copy of them just in case there was any player settings loss after patching to v2.0 and the Titan pack update. Then what happened is I started getting a UT3.EXE Stopped Working error when I tried to launch the game. I checked the game's Launch.log file and saw that it was attempting to load every INI file in the Config folder, including my backup copies! Apparently there is a limit to how many INI files can be loaded and I exceeded that and the game launch aborted. So I made a separate config backup folder and moved all of the INI copies there. Remember to keep your actual INI files in place!

Unreal Tournament 3 loaded up fine after that. And unexpectedly, my freezing problem has now gone away! Now I can play all the offline Campaign mode and online Multiplayer that I want.

I'm thinking maybe UT3 reloads the INI files in-game or whatever ones never got loaded on launch (because other copies took their place) caused the game to be unstable and it would freeze up. So if any of you have this problem and manually save backup INI files in the UT3 Config folder try what I did and let me know if the game lockups go away!

Steve (FuryUnleashed)
Working...
X