UT3 Black (steam download) won't launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 Black (steam download) won't launch

I bought UT3 Black on steam on Friday and now that the downloading has finished I can't run the game.
    When I attempt to launch the game or editor the start up logo is displayed but then does not progress any further into the actual game/menu (or whatever comes up after the launch screen). The only option then is to close the program as no matter how long a wait nothing happens which brings up the usual program not responding error.
    Does anyone have any idea what to do as I'm getting no reply on the steam forums and would very much like to play the game I purchased.
    As for specs I have dual BFG GTX 285 OC's in SLI with the latest drivers with the i7 965 EE processor @ 4GHz, 6Gb 1800MHz DDR3 triple channel RAM and I'm running on Vista-64bit. Thanks in advance.

Try running in Administrator mode. There are a bunch of threads about Vista and Nvidia problems. May be Vista, may be your video drivers, etc...

Comment

I'm sure I have been but I'll check and retry and post the results when I have, thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Try to run the UT3.exe directly rather than through Steam and see if that works.

Comment

If that doesn't work, please try renaming your Unreal Tournament 3 folder in

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User name\My Documents\My Games

and try to launch the game again.

Comment

Unfortunately none of the above fixes have worked but thanks very much for the suggestions and replies people. Anyone other possible fixes I should try?

Comment

Try verifying the Integrity of your game files... Basically, Open Steam... Click the "My Games" tab... Right-Click on UT3, Select Properties, Click the "Local Files" tab and then Click on "Verify Integrity of Game Cache". Try and launch the game after the process completes and see what happens.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Orion and it's something I've tried a few times as well as defragging the cache files to no success. What I have noticed though is when I rename or delete
                "C:\Documents and Settings\Your User name\My Documents\My Games"
                an identical folder is created when trying to launch the game. Could this be part of the problem?

Comment

After installing the latest SoundMax drivers the game will now launch but with no sound so I could still use some help.

Edit:

Now after going through control panel>device manager>update driver on Soundmax I've got my sound back but can't launch.

Comment

Have you also checked for Graphics card and motherboard Updated Drivers? Update if Updates are available! Especially your GPU!

Comment

My GPU's have the latest driver and my moterboard has the latest BIOS. Havn't found a fix yet but I think it has something to do with my SoundMax. No idea how or why its related though.

Edit:

Okay, I tested it and I can run the game on full settings perfectly (and what a game) when I isntall the SoundMax driver and however it emans my computer won't make any sound at all then. Does anyone know what to do because if I use the stero sound instead of SoundMax I get sound but no game? Does this error even have anything to do with Epic?

Comment

Have you tried installing different sound drivers? It seems that you have identified the problem to me.

Comment

I unplugged the speakers and put them back in while the new driver was in operation and I have sound AND can play UT3. Thanks for the help everyone and if anyone else is having splash screen crashes try updating the sound driver.

/Close Topic

Comment

Hello all. I just bought UT3 off of Steam today, however I am having a similar issue where it just sits at the splash screen. Both my video and sound drivers are up to date, but I still have the issue. I have tried verifying the steam cache as well. What's the deal here?

Comment

Working...
                            X