Unreal Engine 3 Games choppy on lowest settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Engine 3 Games choppy on lowest settings

Any game I try to play that uses the unreal 3 engine played fine before I switched to vista and one video card (I thought SLI was supposed to -decrease- performance in Unreal Engine 3 games?...), but now all of them (Mass Effect, Unreal Tournament 3, etc) have 50-60fps, but are choppy (every second or so, it freezes for about a quarter of a second...just enough to be extremely irritating and making the game unplayable)...I've read nearly every tweak guide on these forums, used the search feature, etc., but noone else has this problem that I know of.

Any help or assistance would be appreciated, I'm pulling my hair out here! (I want to play the Titan Pack, and I want to play through ME again!)

I don't know how to post my DXdiag.txt without it being really annoying, so I'll leave it out for now - if you need it, however, I'll definitely post it.

My system specs are as follows:
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2 CPUs), 2.2GHz
    Memory: 2814MB RAM
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8500GT
    Page File: 1047MB used, 4806MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10

EDIT: Can't post my DXDiag anyway, as I can't post more than 2,000 characters.

Seriously, this is just SO frusturating. I paid a lot for a machine that would be able to run this game smoothly and so far, IT CAN'T.

It takes 30 seconds just to start up, things lag when I move through the menu, and actually trying to play is just a nightmare. Alt-tabbing or using the windows key is more likely to lock up the program and force a hardboot than anything else!

Operating System: Windows Vista Service Pack 1
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.50 GHz
    Memory: 2GB RAM
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS

Comment

Originally posted by Ether3al View Post
      Seriously, this is just SO frusturating. I paid a lot for a machine that would be able to run this game smoothly and so far, IT CAN'T.

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

EDIT: UT3 is working fine...but Mass Effect is still choppy choppy choppy.

I guess you can close this topic as this isn't really the place to ask about Mass Effect technical issues. :P

Comment

It takes 30 seconds just to start up, things lag when I move through the menu, and actually trying to play is just a nightmare. Alt-tabbing or using the windows key is more likely to lock up the program and force a hardboot than anything else!

That's a laptop.. The processor isn't amazing and the graphics card on it is ****, I had a PC with an 8500GT, I upgraded that fast to a 8800gts, and everything runs a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTorture View Post
          That's a laptop.. The processor isn't amazing and the graphics card on it is ****, I had a PC with an 8500GT, I upgraded that fast to a 8800gts, and everything runs a lot better.
          The minimum specs are way lower though, not to mention the recommended specs are also lower than that.

It really is something of an anomaly for it to be freezing for a split second every second on anything above recommended.

The graphics card isn't "****", it's just not -great-.

the processor is fine. GHz matters worth almost nothing if you're a gamer. It factors into VERY little as far as gaming performance goes.
          Guess what the best Core 2 DUO CPU is clocked at? 2.66ghz. If that doesn't prove my point then I don't know what does.

What you SHOULD be looking at is the L2 cache, which is 2mb; MORE than enough for most games.

Comment

+1 for the 8500 gt being ****... seriously don't buy a low end card and expect it to perform good in new games. :/ sorry for being rude but it's true.

Comment

I have the same issues with locking up and at the moment I think I found out where half my crash problems came from. The cards are loose or something. I try to do everything I can to solve this with no luck most of the time. I'm finaly takeing my PC into the shop to get sorted.

A pair of GeForce 9600 GS cards. Or one at the moment as SLI is dissabled to try to give me a bit more game time.

Comment

I'm also receiving the same effects after the patch and titan update, thing was silky smooth prior, now it gets millisecond freezes every 10-20 seconds. Don't know what they have done but I'm going to have to shelve it until a fix is out as it's totally unplayable now.

System specs:
                6850 C2D
                8800GT
                4G Ram
                XPx64-Sp2

Comment

Originally posted by cacballsturdz View Post
                  +1 for the 8500 gt being ****... seriously don't buy a low end card and expect it to perform good in new games. :/ sorry for being rude but it's true.
                  I have an 8500GT and it runs fine after tweaking; it's not a crappy card. It's not the best card around, but it's not -bad- -- I get ~45fps in UT3 now with everything on med-high at 1024x768.

Comment

i have 8500gt (1GB VRAM ) and Core2Duo 3.0 (E8400) and plays fine with All high on 800x600 ( 4GB RAM )

Comment

I would say ditch Vista even SP1 runs slower than XP. Also what background tasks are running? Of you have AV then this might be slowing up the running of the program.

Make sure you have the latest video and soundcard drivers as this can cause issues as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tamriilin View Post
                        Any game I try to play that uses the unreal 3 engine played fine before I switched to vista and one video card (I thought SLI was supposed to -decrease- performance in Unreal Engine 3 games?...), but now all of them (Mass Effect, Unreal Tournament 3, etc) have 50-60fps, but are choppy (every second or so, it freezes for about a quarter of a second...just enough to be extremely irritating and making the game unplayable)...I've read nearly every tweak guide on these forums, used the search feature, etc., but noone else has this problem that I know of.

My system specs are as follows:
                        Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930)
                        Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2 CPUs), 2.2GHz
                        Memory: 2814MB RAM
                        Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8500GT

Any help or assistance would be appreciated, I'm pulling my hair out here! (I want to play the Titan Pack, and I want to play through ME again!)
                        Both of you have low end CPU and video cards in your computers. Your hardware is going to limit you to low res and low quality play.

Your GPU hardware will limit you to 800x600 at the lowest settings. The 8400 and 8500 are cheap entry level cards good for DVD playback only. You need at least an 8600 for this game.

The CPU will not help at all, both the amd x2 4200+ and intel T5250 are very poor for games like UT3. The 4200+ is an old socket 939 cpu with small L2 cache, very poor for UT3. The 1.5 Ghz T5250 is a low power notebook cpu which may be OK for office work, but not games.

Pairing up these low power machines with vista only means everything will run even slower.

The minimum specs are way lower though, not to mention the recommended specs are also lower than that.
                        It really is something of an anomaly for it to be freezing for a split second every second on anything above recommended.
                        The graphics card isn't "****", it's just not -great-.
                        the processor is fine. GHz matters worth almost nothing if you're a gamer. It factors into VERY little as far as gaming performance goes.
                        Guess what the best Core 2 DUO CPU is clocked at? 2.66ghz. If that doesn't prove my point then I don't know what does.
                        What you SHOULD be looking at is the L2 cache, which is 2mb; MORE than enough for most games.
                        Your wrong in every point you attempt to make. Sorry, but it's true, your totally without a clue here. Here are some older UT3 benchmarks and performance analysis. You should read these so next time you will at least have a clue..

Unreal Tournament 3 CPU & High End GPU Analysis:
                        http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3127&p=1

Unreal Tournament 3 Beta Demo: Top to Bottom GPU Analysis
                        http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3127&p=1

Check out the table below comparing GPU cards. The 8400M is comparable in performance to the GeF4 Ti 4200 from 10 years ago

Best graphics for the money; Conclusion
                        http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...on,2151-6.html

Comment

I have an 8500GT and it runs fine after tweaking; it's not a crappy card. It's not the best card around, but it's not -bad- -- I get ~45fps in UT3 now with everything on med-high at 1024x768.
                          why would you even want to play with less than 45 fps.. I **** bricks when mine drops below 60 at 1440x900 with 4xAA and everything full.

Comment

well i have a pentium d 3.30 ghz pc and a 9800gt 3 ghz of ram and the games works fine offline.i get no hitches whatsoever but as soon as i go online i get a small hitch every 5 seconds.with 1.3 it worked fine i can play with 32 players offline even in 2.0 and get fps drops but no hitching.online ill just be walk and hitch hitch hitch.

Comment

Crappy UT3 nevermind this game is the worst game of them all

Windows Vista ultimate (SP1)
                              Intell(R) core(TM) duo 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4ghz 2.39ghz
                              HD Velociraptor 150gb
                              4GB memory
                              VGA card Nvidia geforce 8800 GTS 1024mb memory

I am sorry but i experience that all games using some sort of AGEIA physx **** run very poor. All those games i just put in the garbage. They run choppy and interface mostly sucks. Either they get to work on their engine or otherzise it's bull****.

I am sorry but these are really good performance parts ... Even crysis runs very nice on my PC ... and this has more goodlooking graphics then UT3.

I say your game is worth nothing, i never saw an interface go beserk with a allready high end pc. Also the average ping rate on the servers is up to 400 WTF explain this. Even BF2142 looks better and has pings of 20. This game has not been beta tested. The otherwise also good gameplay is gone forever.

Now a days the games are being relesed far to early. Take an example from Blizzard they do years to develop a good game. I wonder why a stupid game like this need such high performance parts that costs up to 1000 euros for a CPU only. i mean stop programming buggy loops and come up with something decent.

Comment

Working...
                              X