Titan & patch - ATI cards... Game lock up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Titan & patch - ATI cards... Game lock up

Two Radeon HD 3870 in Crossfire. I haven't updated my video drivers yet to see if this is the problem, but I was curious if anyone has experienced the game completely locking up. Was playing bots in an online server just fine for about 10 minutes. Escaped out to check settings and when I went back to the match, it froze. It's done this both times I've tried playing since last night.

Has this happened to you?

Originally posted by boz View Post
    Two Radeon HD 3870 in Crossfire. I haven't updated my video drivers yet to see if this is the problem, but I was curious if anyone has experienced the game completely locking up. Was playing bots in an online server just fine for about 10 minutes. Escaped out to check settings and when I went back to the match, it froze. It's done this both times I've tried playing since last night.

Has this happened to you?
    I updated my ATI drivers to the latest and while I was able to play for about 30 minutes, it crashed in the middle of a match (froze up).

Comment

I am running one Visiontek ATI HD4870 512Mb card. I actually got through one CTF match on Searchlight in an Instant Action offline match. Played a second round and it locked up just a couple of minutes in. I am running the latest ATI 9.2 driver. Have UT3 patched to 2.0 and the Titan pack installed. Was not running any mutators. On a Windows XP SP3 system.

Now having said that, I was having these same crashes on an old install with the 2.0 patch applied and the Titan pack installed. So I, completely uninstalled UT3, deleted the old UT3 file directories and ran CCleaner prior to reinstalling. I reinstalled UT3, applied patch 2.0 and installed the Titan pack. No community mods, characters or maps are added to the game.

Just wondering if it is an ATI driver issue? It sometimes locks up with the game displayed and sometimes locks up with a black screen. Either case it's a reboot. (I did have the ATI VPU recover actually recover from a crash once.)

I have had on occasion after a game crash, before the reinstall of UT3, asking if I want to send an error report to ATI. Not being online at the time, I could not send it.

Comment

Buy one of these and all of your problems will be solved!
        http://3btech.net/evge9651pcie.html

Comment

Originally posted by Rumple View Post
          Buy one of these and all of your problems will be solved!
          http://3btech.net/evge9651pcie.html
          I had none of these problems before Titan and Patch 4 and you want us to by another video card? Thanks for the excellent suggestion and supreme troubleshooting help.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelios View Post
            I am running one Visiontek ATI HD4870 512Mb card. I actually got through one CTF match on Searchlight in an Instant Action offline match. Played a second round and it locked up just a couple of minutes in. I am running the latest ATI 9.2 driver. Have UT3 patched to 2.0 and the Titan pack installed. Was not running any mutators. On a Windows XP SP3 system.

Now having said that, I was having these same crashes on an old install with the 2.0 patch applied and the Titan pack installed. So I, completely uninstalled UT3, deleted the old UT3 file directories and ran CCleaner prior to reinstalling. I reinstalled UT3, applied patch 2.0 and installed the Titan pack. No community mods, characters or maps are added to the game.

Just wondering if it is an ATI driver issue? It sometimes locks up with the game displayed and sometimes locks up with a black screen. Either case it's a reboot. (I did have the ATI VPU recover actually recover from a crash once.)

I have had on occasion after a game crash, before the reinstall of UT3, asking if I want to send an error report to ATI. Not being online at the time, I could not send it.
            This is really good troubleshooting and without you mentioning the issue with the ATI error report, I wouldn't have bothered checking the event log. At the time that this happened to me, I have event log errors in the "ACEEventLog" which I believe is what ATI sets up. These events are marked with the "informational" icon.

It's possible an update to the driver might fix this, but if it didn't happen under UT3 1.3, it doesn't sound like it on the surface.

Comment

I think I may have found the issue.

In the UTengine.ini file, located in your C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config folder, there is a line: DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=True. It's under the heading [Engine.ISVHacks]. Change the setting to =False and save the file.

I got that from Tweakguides, an excellent resource. I was able to play 2 consecutive 30 minute CTF matches on Searchlight without one crash or hiccup. This is a first since my updating to 2.0 and installing the Titan pack.

I think I saw this on this forum somewhere, but that was at least a year ago.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Hope this helps!
                Thanks for posting back here with your results. I'll give this a shot and confirm or deny whether or not it helps me.

Comment

YUP im getting the same problem too!! Why is this happening?! I was able to play the game fine before I patched version 4. The game simply gets locked up and I cant click or move, yet I see everything running...

Comment

In the UTengine.ini file, located in your C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config folder, there is a line: DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=True. It's under the heading [Engine.ISVHacks]. Change the setting to =False and save the file.

I got that from Tweakguides, an excellent resource. I was able to play 2 consecutive 30 minute CTF matches on Searchlight without one crash or hiccup. This is a first since my updating to 2.0 and installing the Titan pack.

I think I saw this on this forum somewhere, but that was at least a year ago.

Hope this helps!
                    I just tried this and didnt work for me...
                    By the way, Im running a Nvidia geforce8800GTS

Comment

The particular possible fix I mentioned, is for ATI cards only. However, there are a couple of Nvidia settings in that same section in the UTengine.ini file. Do not know if those will resolve the 8800Gt issue tho, as I don't have one.

Also Boz, in the ATI CCC, I have to set all the 3D settings to application controlled for UT3. If it is not set to application controlled on my system, UT3 is a slide show and very slow response on the UI.

I tried overclocking the video card in the CCC as well, and the game will crash on occasion, even with the fix previously mentioned. So for UT3, I leave the video card at standard clocks. Still looks good and runs quite smooth.

Comment

No input recognized once game starts

I had the same problem. Once a game started, no input was accepted, not even the ESC key. Deleting UTInput.ini file and letting it rebuild fixed it for me.

Comment

I have this exact problem and deleting the utinput.ini (and all other .ini's) in 'my games\unreal tournament 3\utgame\config' did NOT fix it.

I've been playing UT3 since release and have never had this issue with 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3 but now I am with 2.0+titan. Most of the time the game is locked up so hard that I can't even alt+tab out of the game and must press the reset button on the PC.

I'm using an ati 4870/512MB vid card (stock clocks with 9.2 ccc drivers) with a E8400 @ 4ghz, 4GB of 1066mhz ddr2 RAM, sb audigy 2 platinum and most graphics settings at max. I did change my detail setting to 5 with the 2.0 patch because it performs so much better. I'll try that at 3 to see if that eliminates the lockups (doubt it). I tried many things including bumping CPU voltage and that didn't fix it. My temps are good, cpu never going above 50c and stable in all other games for a long time. Also my GPU stays at around 63c which I monitor in-game with rivatuner.

Comment

To be more clear, the game locks up for me when I'm seeing the blurry red death just before I spawn. It also sometimes happens when I spawn in from spectator.

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary_Lee View Post
                              I just tried this and didnt work for me...
                              By the way, Im running a Nvidia geforce8800GTS
                              The setting is for ATI cards.

Comment

Working...
                              X