Titan & patch - ATI cards... Game lock up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thelios View Post
    The particular possible fix I mentioned, is for ATI cards only. However, there are a couple of Nvidia settings in that same section in the UTengine.ini file. Do not know if those will resolve the 8800Gt issue tho, as I don't have one.

Also Boz, in the ATI CCC, I have to set all the 3D settings to application controlled for UT3. If it is not set to application controlled on my system, UT3 is a slide show and very slow response on the UI.

I tried overclocking the video card in the CCC as well, and the game will crash on occasion, even with the fix previously mentioned. So for UT3, I leave the video card at standard clocks. Still looks good and runs quite smooth.
    More good stuff to know. Thanks man.

I tried the first fix you posted here and so far so good although I wasn't able to dedicated enough time to really putting it through it's paces. I'll have time this weekend when I can really stress my card.

I think I'm gonna try it a small bit at a time to see if I can help isolate the true nature of the issue.

Comment

Vista working fine

Guys I think I might have found a fix that works for me. The game was locking up hard in WinXP but Vista seems fine so far. Fingers crossed.

And no, the lockups I am having in XP have nothing to do with keyboard input not working. It locks up with the red death screen.

Comment

I am not having any issues with keyboard and mouse not responding.

UT3 was locking up at random times, before I changed the UTengine.ini setting previously mentioned. Such as, alone and just turning around, multiple bots and me in a frag for all, or just picking up ammo with no other bots nearby. Sometimes, I could get through a 30 minute CTF match and it would lock up a few minutes into the next match. Other times, could just get a couple of minutes into my first match.

So far the UTengine.ini setting seems to have fixed my issue.

Oh, I am not running UT3 on Steam. Just a regular install.

boz, keep me posted on any new findings. Good Luck!

Comment

Well, after playing UT3 some more, the crashing continues.

Greed on Searchlight crashed when I was trying to collect some skulls, Warfare crashed in the Stinkhole map during the campaign when I got fragged while blasting the blue teams powercore and still get an occasional crash when playing CTF on Searchlight.

All bot matches offline.

Still get the occasional send error report to ATI window. Appears it may very well be a ATI driver issue.

Just hope this month's driver release addresses any of these issues. May be another month tho...

Comment

Well, after playing UT3 some more, the crashing continues.
            You using Vista or XP? Vista seems stable for me. I did the three .ini changes for the XP UT3 and _so far_ the game seems stable.

Comment

Originally posted by LittlerMe View Post
              You using Vista or XP? Vista seems stable for me. I did the three .ini changes for the XP UT3 and _so far_ the game seems stable.
              As per my first post in this thread, Windows XP SP3. And no, the ini changes have not stopped the crashing. I even have bloom disabled in game. This seemed to ease it for a while, but...

In fact, this time it just crashed in Suspense CTF in the campaign, again...Gah!!!

Playing the campaign again just to see how the game does in different game-types. So far, not well.

The crashes are random and not in a particular map or situation.

I have to chime in and say the game did not do so in patch 1.3.

Edit:
              But after all is said and done, I believe it is an ATI driver (ver. 9.2) issue. I got a ton of ATI errors logged in the event viewer.

Comment

As per my first post in this thread, Windows XP SP3. And no, the ini changes have not stopped the crashing. I even have bloom disabled in game. This seemed to ease it for a while, but...

In fact, this time it just crashed in Suspense CTF in the campaign, again...Gah!!!

Playing the campaign again just to see how the game does in different game-types. So far, not well.

The crashes are random and not in a particular map or situation.

I have to chime in and say the game did not do so in patch 1.3.

Edit:
                But after all is said and done, I believe it is an ATI driver (ver. 9.2) issue. I got a ton of ATI errors logged in the event viewer.

I didn't try all of the fixes that you went after Thelios, instead choosing to do them one at a time. The tweak I started with was the first one you posted, but after seeing that you are still having problems with the additional tweaks, some more drastic testing my be in order.

It froze on me 4 times last night in the course of about an hour and a half. Each time a CTL+ALT+DEL allowed me to kill the game and restart it. About the only thing moderately consistent with the freezing for me is that it tends to occur more at the beginning of just about any map load after I've been running around for a minute or two as opposed to during the middle of a match. This could be an inaccurate perception on my part, but that's when I notice it most often. Also, the freezing happens less frequently when I disable "crossfire" and let my second card sit idle.

The game will probably look like ****, but I'm going to try running it in a VMWare XP image and see if the same thing happens with the VMWare SVGA shim driver. Another thing I'm considering is installing the game with only the Titan pack and only patch 4 under two different install dirs. There has to be a way to isolate this to either the patch or Titan.

And like all others here, none of the freezing issues occurred before the Titan pack and patch four. 1.3 was solid for me.

I changed the name of the thread to reflect that this problem seems to be more prevalent under ATI cards.

Comment

Taking your advice, sort of, I have Windows 7 Beta 64 Bit installed on a separate hard drive. I have Steam installed and have UT3 installed under Steam. I manually updated UT3 to 2.0 and installed the Titan pack.

Again, have the ATI CCC graphics settings to application controlled, no overclock (using the ATI Radeon HD4800 Series Pre-release WDDM 1.1 driver), and have all the in-game advanced graphic settings to on or high, except the disable delay frame. Bloom is on as well. Basically the Advanced Settings the game automatically set after installing Patch 2.0.

After installing Patch 2.0 and the Titan pack, I backed up and deleted all the .ini files in the My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UT Game\config folder. I launched the game to recreate the .ini's and the only changes made to the UTEngine.ini file is to turn off the start-up movies and allow mature language.

I played Several Instant Action CTF matches on Searchlight and started a New Campaign.

No crashes as yet.

Edit: Made it all the way through the Campaign with just one crash, and I caused it. I tried over-clocking my ATI card in the CCC. Got through several matches and was on the Necris space station. The announcer had just said "1 Kill Remaining", in a 49 to 48 kill TDM, and it promptly froze up! Needless to say, after rebooting and calming down, I backed the over-clock off and finished the campaign with no more crashes.

Comment

In the UTengine.ini file, located in your C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config folder, there is a line: DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=True. It's under the heading [Engine.ISVHacks]. Change the setting to =False and save the file.
                    I was having the same problem and tried that and it solved my problem. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Helfdane View Post
                      I was having the same problem and tried that and it solved my problem. Thanks for the info.
                      Glad that helped!

Now if I can just get sound to play in the cutscenes of the campaign...

The first few played ok, now no sound at all.

Found a fix for the no sound in cutscenes on this forum! Way cool!!

Comment

To be more clear, the game locks up for me when I'm seeing the blurry red death just before I spawn. It also sometimes happens when I spawn in from spectator.

Same here, most of the times it happens when dying. I used to have these lockups with my old 1950xt, now with the HD3850 i've been having no trouble at all, untill patch 2.0, the spawn/dying lockups where back !!!!!!!

Comment

Interesting.
                          I am also encountering these random (read: not so random) freezes within the game.

From the advice you guys have posted I have changed the [Engine.ISVHacks] setting and put most everything I could find in CCC to application controlled. Will post back my results soon.
                          Thanks for the tips guys

EDIT:

With just those two quick changes, I just completed about roughly 15 offline matches, TDM, Warfare, vCTF, then online for 3 DM's and some 2-3 more Warfares

No Freeze at all
                          Previously, I had never completed more than 2 rounds of a match before the freeze
                          Thank You

Comment

Catalyst 9.3?

The AMD/ATI Catalyst updated to 9.3 today, my friend has this problem you are discussing, but is unavailable for comment... I was wondering if the 9.3 drivers fixed the problem without the engine.isvhacks (which appeared to slow his gaming down)?

Thanks

Comment

Installed the Catalyst 9.3 tonight. Have not tried UT3 yet, out of time. Maybe some tomorrow night. Will post any findings.

Comment

Using 9.3. UT keeps crashing as usually (game frozen, sometimes with some looping background noises).

Comment

Working...
                                X