• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will my PC run UT3 smoothly?

Windows XP
    Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4ghz
    Radeon HD 3450 (256MB)
    3GB 800Mhz RAM

Is it possible to play with almost maxed settings while still getting high FPS on this build? Does UT3 use more than 1-2 cores? Will getting a GeForce 9800 GT 512MB Video Card boost my performance dramatically? Will replacing my Quad with a Duo with a higher Ghz rating boost my frame rates and performance?

I haven't bought the game yet, but I just want some advice before I do.
    Thanks

Originally posted by Ragewolf View Post
    Windows XP
    Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4ghz
    Radeon HD 3450 (256MB)
    3GB 800Mhz RAM
    The card seems to be too weak to me, the rest is ok!
    Is it possible to play with almost maxed settings while still getting high FPS on this build?
    I don't think so...
    Does UT3 use more than 1-2 cores?
    2 cores definitely; no idea if 4 cores and more
    Will getting a GeForce 9800 GT 512MB Video Card boost my performance dramatically?
    Yes, it will!

P.S. What is your target resolution?

Greets

Comment

i would suggest getting the 9800GT

Comment

My target resolution is 1152x864, it's what I usually play games on.
        But I probably will play on 1024x768

Thank you!

Comment

I wouldn't count on "smooth' due to the massive list of glitches bugs unfinished todo's and exploits.

UT3 will scale to all cores...the more cores the better. The more cache on your cpu the better. The more graphics memory you have,,, the better. Multi GPU's ...RED FLAG...stay away..it's a marketing ploy underdeveloped.

Ive gone thru 2 personal Extreme Edition pc's, dual & quad core with the "King of the Hill" graphics cards in each attempt....and have yet to get smooth stutter free gaming. Online is a joke.
          With my current Pc..I am forced to play at 3 & 3 details and with frame smoothing enabled to reduce the fps bound crosshair instability...large fps dips, and actor placement bugs amongst other obstacles to enjoyable reliable play.
          Multi GPU's complicate the issue immensely. Google "microtutter"...and discover the true nature of multi gpu technology that is ommited from schwag hungry review sites.
          I had pitiful experience with 8 high end pc's testing UT3 ( I build extreme machines ). Anything under the gtx280 ocx that I use now...simply felt lethargic, clunky and latency prone. ATI fared no better up to and including the 3870 x2 . YES you CAN see the FPS numbers listed in benchmarks...but whats the point of 200 fps...when the stutter, latency just shows faster?

I highly recommend nothing lower than the 9800 GTX from nVidia ( though they are from the notorious defective G9x series of chips that the entire pc industry is suing nVidia for ) and preferably the 200 series.
          As for ATI, the 4870 is probably your safest bet. 1 gpu will run any game smoother than a multi gpu product at this stage of mult gpu tech development...at half the framerate.

By the looks of the mega patch fix list...some of these issues will lessen in the near future.

Comment

Thank you very much, however, I feel that your post was three quarters rant and one quarter advice.
            Im glad to hear that my quad cores will be put to use.
            Im kinda on a low budget, so I think I'll survive with the occasional dip or stutter.
            Thanks again,
            Ragewolf

Comment

Thank you very much, however, I feel that your post was three quarters rant and one quarter advice.
              Im glad to hear that my quad cores will be put to use.
              Im kinda on a low budget, so I think I'll survive with the occasional dip or stutter.
              Thanks again,
              Ragewolf
              rant (rnt) :
              v. rant·ed, rant·ing, rants
              v.intr. To speak or write in a angry or violent manner; rave.
              v.tr. To utter or express with violence or extravagance: a dictator who ranted his vitriol onto a captive audience.
              n. 1. Violent or extravagant speech or writing.
              2. A speech or piece of writing that incites anger or violence: "The vast majority [of teenagers logged onto the Internet] did not encounter recipes for pipe bombs or deranged rants about white supremacy" Daniel Okrent.
              3. Chiefly British Wild or uproarious merriment

Perhaps researched facts are upsetting or threatening to you? Don't let facts get in the way of your opinion then....

*I was giving you a FREE yardstick by which to measure "smoothness".... and helping you steer clear of some common "gamer' misconceptions promoted by financially motivated review sites, game publishers, and manufacturers. Consider it words of experience..
              I only spoke of the highest end machines that I tested on...excluding another 20 pc's built since then. Results never varied....all of them were 'jumpy' despite ini tweaks.The single core GPU's ALWAYS performed smoother without fail. I am only after installing the GTX 280 in my personal PC actually able to enjoy almost consistent response to input with a minor level of stutter.

*Multi GPU Microstutter ...not rant...researched public facts also admitted by the graphics maufacturers in obscure publications.

*nVidia flubbing every single G9x series chip with improper bumps and filler for the chips...then lying to evryone on earth about it..public news ( they are getting sued for more than their net worth over it ) They die from turning your pc on and off regardless of load placed on them. BUT PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BUY ONE

*Lethargic, clunky and latency prone...common words from the 90% of people in the community that once WANTED to play UT3 on their high end machines in clan forums, league forums and everywhere else.

* Online is a joke...You wouldn't know yet if that's a rant or fact yet, would you ?

P.S.
              I forgot to mention, to be more topical to your query, that YES higher CPU frequency will bolster the performance of UT3. But to jump from a quad at 2.44 to a dual with 3.0 GHz is questionable at best. It would make sense however to jump to a 3.0 GHz quad if you wish to expect noticeable difference. If you are not just brave but can read tutorials well, you may consider overclocking your quad instead of purchasing another cpu. You can get better results for free rather than downgrading to a dual core that adds expense. Perhaps with the savings...you can upgrade the most important piece in your system for graphics, to a higher end GPU.

The HD3870 is roughly equal to a 9800GT....AND it's NOT one of the defective G9x series chip nVidia cards...like the 9800GT is. Plus ATI historically has always written backwards compatible drivers for older games with much more faith than nVidia. I owned 2 3870's ( crossfired ) with my quad extreme (12 MB cache ) and was able to run UT3 at no more than 3 & 3 settings...on 1680 x 1050 resolution. To minimize stutter...I ended up using only 1 card. BUT with your proposed resolution....you might just sqeak by with more comfort than I had.
              Focus on the graphics with your build...to enjoy maximum bang for the buck. Your cpu is more than solid, it can improve a little with extra juice and no extra cost. DRAMATIC results from a 3450 to a 3870/ 9800GT ? NOT QUITE. Dramatic is a complete generation jump (such as the HD48xx(single core)/GTX200 series )...NOTICEABLE? YES. The 256 extra MB or ram and extra stream processors/shaders will definately lessen the symptoms I mentioned....but far from remove them. It may however suit your defintion of satisfactory.

With the MASSSSIVE patch, Bonus Pack AND expansion pack on their way....you may find that at that point...the game will run smooth on anything that is a DX10 capable card. Hope to see you happily fragging away in the near future.

Comment

Working...
              X