Download required each time played

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download required each time played

I have to download the map each time to play the game.

I am guessing different servers may have different date on the map names and download each map as an update?

Please help. I am about to throw UT3 in the can if I have to DL one more map!

First of all, make sure you're playing on servers running the same version as you are.
    Then try to install the various common map packs. As far as I know there is one official bonus map pack and some community map packs.

This way, you should get most of the maps used on most servers.

Comment

The DL'd maps are stored in your Cache directory.

The cache is purged if the map file hasn't changed in 30 days, or if your cache size is over 300M it will purge it to keep it under 300M.

Go to your UTEngine.ini file. Change these three settings:

StaleCacheDays=99999 -- is at 30 which means when the cache is purged
      MaxStaleCacheSize=99999
      MaxOverallCacheSize=99999

You should have plently of hard drive space or else set them to something more reasonable

Comment

Reddogg out

Thanks but now UT3 wont start at all. This is it for me. Slow game. No servers. Few players. Few weapons. Agonizing slow between games. I have been considering dropping the game anyway.

Reddogg out

Comment

It really does amaze me how something as simple as editing an ini file or downloading and installing custom maps is too much work of just impossible for so many players.

The default cache size setting is just plain silly. That means downloading the same map over and over again because it does not get exported to the map directory and saved.

It's obvious, many small issues like this are actually huge hurdles for many others. Many I suspect do not even attempt a download because it then requires a 3rd party software to unrar or unzip, Then they must place the files in the correct place. Way too many peeps are not capable of anything beyond clicking an automatic installer.

The bottom line is that file downloads and conversions from cache need to be automatic for those non-tech savy users with a "magic" box.

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
          Currently, when a new map is voted, if the player needs to DL the map, many simply leave. When they do stay ans DL, the match is usually over by the time they finish. The map sizes are large, 30-160 Meg in size. So, even if they DL, the default cache is too small to hold very many maps and the stale cache times is also short to hold them for long, so they need to keep DL the same map over and over.

Maps keep getting bigger as custom stuff is added to them. UT3 needs some sort of automatic DL of new content. Maybe an option to DL offline when the game is not being played. It must be easy and built in so everyone can use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
            The DL'd maps are stored in your Cache directory.

The cache is purged if the map file hasn't changed in 30 days, or if your cache size is over 300M it will purge it to keep it under 300M.

Go to your UTEngine.ini file. Change these three settings:

StaleCacheDays=99999 -- is at 30 which means when the cache is purged
            MaxStaleCacheSize=99999
            MaxOverallCacheSize=99999

You should have plently of hard drive space or else set them to something more reasonable

this may help too if pll try it

Comment

Thanks Cool.
              Just another comment about UT3 in general. It was frustrating to sit and wait thru the game to start and end. Even exiting the game was more work than necessary. Do you want to Exit the Game? Yes are you sure? Yes Are you really really sure? I have XP on my PC. I had an old orig Halo CD I have played for a few days now. Starting the game, changing the game and exiting the game are 2 clicks.
              I know all small stuff

Comment

Working...
              X