Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*FIXED* Package Related Cooker Crash. Editor Crashes When Trying to Open Level.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*FIXED* Package Related Cooker Crash. Editor Crashes When Trying to Open Level.

Hi all, I've been having major problems trying to cook my recent level. I finally have found the culprit: the package HU_Walls_Brick. If I have any reference to a material in this package, the cooker will crash without warning...no error message, no success message; leaving my level uncooked.

Also, when trying to open the editor, it will crash unexpectedly if a material from this package is used. The only way around the editor crashing on opening is to pre-load the package HU_Walls_Brick before opening the level file. I've checked the Environments folder in My Documents and it is blank, and I don't recall accidentally saving the retail package.

Only after deleted all the references from HU_Walls_Brick was I able to cook. I also did a test by duplicating a mesh from this package into my own package and changed the LOD reference material. The meshes seems to work fine without having the HU_Walls_Brick textures on them. Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

This is super basic level and the cooker is still crashing! This is because the material is from HU_Walls_Brick. Another test, with the material on the surface replaced, gives this (the arch has been resaved in a new package and the LOD material changed to the default material so that the mesh won't reference the material from HU_Walls_Brick):

("delete" is the name of the saved file)

My question to everybody is to make a simple level (preferably additive) with a cube and to texture one side of it with a material from HU_Walls_Brick. Save the package, before cooking, then click cook and click no to save packages. See if your cooker crashes too. I would like to know if it is just my package from my install or if everyone else is having this same problem. If everyone else is having the same problem, it would be best for Epic to find a solution. Thanks!

Alright, well I contacted a friend with the game and had him do the same process as above and to my surprise it didn't give them any problems. I don't know exactly what is wrong with my package and don't know how to reset it without reinstalling Unreal. I would like to know if anyone else knows what's going on.

Comment

Update

I tried playing my own map, that I cooked on another person's PC, and got a Visual C++ Runtime Error. Here is the error report (there is no doubt that HU_Walls_Brick has a problem on my system):

Detected data corruption [header] trying to read 524288 bytes at offset 19817927 from 'HU_Walls_Brick'. Please delete file and recook.

Address = 0xb715ef (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
      Address = 0xb9eb9d (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
      Address = 0x1015e75 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
      Address = 0x1015e75 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]

Comment

Hello all, today I was trying to fresh install my game to fix this pesky problem (and going through all my folder trying to find things to backup), when I found the solution to the game & editor crashing when trying to open a level. In the directory: Program Files/Unreal Tournament 3/Binaries, I had a lot of package duplicates because I was using the command "obj savepackage file=[PackageName]Copy package=[PackageName]" (the [] is to show where the package is entered). Apparently, these copies are stored in the binaries folder, and HU_Walls_Brick just SO happened not to have "copy" appended to it (I forgot to type it). It looks like Unreal 3 was having conflicts with two identical packages. I went ahead and deleted the copy from the binaries folder and presto! I hope this helps a lot of people with problems who happen to use the duplicate command from within the log in Unreal Editor 3.

Jonathan

Comment

Working...
        X