Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two questions about the technology, trying to figure out which engine is right for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two questions about the technology, trying to figure out which engine is right for me

1. Is the netcode server side hit detection, or client side hit detection?
    Is the later something that can be modded in?
    One of the major advantages I find with the source engine is the tight network code where "what you see is what you get" in terms of aiming.

2. Will the UT3 game be benefiting from the additions they are making to the Gears of War 2 engine, for better modding potential?
    That's another plus side of source: You always get access to the latest version. I'm afraid I won't be able to get the large battles and highly deformable environments I want just from UT3 scripting.

1.) The hit detection is server side. Client side hit detection could be modded in. Check the Maps & Mods section to see if something has already been made. In Ut2k4, it was called Zero Ping.

2.) I don't see this happening truthfully. The engine is the core of the game. Most likely some of the updates will require rewriting the whole engine source code to get them to work.

Comment

Working...
    X