Question about netcode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about netcode

Does this game use cilent side hit detection, or server side hit detection?
    If the later, is it something that could be changed via a server setting?

Because if client side hit detection, I may not bother trying to create a total conversion for UT3 - I hate server side prediction, even on cable. I don't think there's any justification for it in a game that has precision weapons requiring client side netcode to truly function.

Server side hit detection. Has been this way since UT99. Afaik, this cannot be changed via server settings, but there are some mods out there that alter the netcode to work client side, e.g. ZeroPing.

Comment

I prefer server-side hit detection. Neither method is perfect, but with client-side hit detection you are trusting data from the client, which is something that should be avoided whenever possible because clients can lie. In other words, client-side hit detection makes cheating easier.

Furthermore, people like client-side hit detection because it gives the illusion of lower latency, but it actually only moves the problem around. While you might always hit what you appear to hit, it does mean that you can be hit by someone who could not possibly have shot you from your point of view, especially if they have high ping. That problem is much less with server-side hit detection. Network latency can never be removed, so whatever method you choose there will be both positive and negative consequences.

Comment

The unlagged netcode can be server side too, which is what most of the games today use Mr. Evil. I don't think any PC games use client-side except for consoles since they are less prone to cheats.

Comment

The client side hit detection is subject to server verfication of coursse, as valve does.
          The benefits to the player of being able to shoot where they aim, and not have to accout for the variables of lag delay in firing, is the only way you can have a functional game based on accurate weapons like sniper rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by RJL View Post
            is the only way you can have a functional game based on accurate weapons like sniper rifles.
            Define functional. UT games work just fine for me. It just means you have to compensate for lag, which really isn't very hard to learn to do.

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
              Define functional. UT games work just fine for me. It just means you have to compensate for lag, which really isn't very hard to learn to do.
              That is the definition of dysfunctional when you have to lead targets to account for a shifting variable beyond their control, something that is inconsistant between players and servers.

Comment

No solution is perfect.
                Valve's netcode is also server side netcode with client side prediction elements.
                Bullets holes, blood player placement are client side while registered hits are still server side.
                This is why you can shoot a guy in counterstrike and bloody his face it DOES NOT do damage.
                Client side netcodes are not a fair solution either, as it can cause irrational deaths scenarios and is very easy to cheat.

Unreal's netcode is fully functional.

All implementations of netcode will require servers to be in good centralized locations for best results, you can't fake a lagless system without screwing something up.

Comment

Working...
                X