Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3rd patch and still I get random freezing.. Really fed up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup.

I mispoke up there, I was getting freezing in 177.92, so I reverted to 177.8_3_ not 82.

Had one freeze since but that may be due to overclocking...

Comment

I was experiencing the same game freeze. About 5 minutes in on CTF-Searchlight. It did this twice in a row. Am running a Visiontek ATI 4870 card on Windows XP SP3. Latest bios for my Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R board. Using the ATI 8.8 driver. Have UT3 patched to 1.3. To fix, I disabled VSynch and Framerate smoothing in the game. Closed the game and relaunched. Able to play to matches in Searchlight with no hitches. For now.

I see where some tried this with no joy. Hope a fix comes for you soon.

I did have a Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB card. Never had any freezing like that in the game. Even with Vsynch enabled. Was running the 175.19 whql drivers just fine.

And yes my system is overclocked, E6600 C2D at 3.2Ghz. I did not have the video card overclocked when i was getting the game freeze.

Update 9-11-08: I changed out my 500w power supply for a 620w. Went back into UT3 and it started freezing up again. Not 5 minutes in, 35 seconds in, (same map). I had the AA and AF settings maxed in the ATI CCC, so, I set them all to application controlled. Now I have zero freezes in the game. Yea! Still have the highest settings in the game settings, no Vsynch or framerate smoothing. Interestingly, Oblivion with high-res texture packs can run with max CCC settings just fine. Anyway, I can play UT3 again!

Comment

Overheating - If my system is overheating why can I play the likes of Bioshock, Quake 4 and Half Life 2 all the way through without a single problem? I'll try the temperature monitors but I don't believe that is it.

My PSU is Antec Trueblue 480 watts

Here's a list of what runs in the background on my PC as requested:-

Image Name
        amBXAppMgrHelper.exe
        daemon.exe
        dopusrt.exe
        dopus.exe
        CTxfispi.exe
        ctfmon.exe
        explorer.exe
        Creative_Audio_Engine_Cleanup.0001
        Ctxfihlp.exe
        VolPanlu.exe
        egui.exe
        rundll32.exe
        amBXAppMgr.exe
        sdmcp.exe
        xfire.exe
        firefox.exe
        jusched.exe
        schedhlp.exe
        TimounterMonitor. exe
        rundll32.exe
        NMIndexingService.exe
        TrueImageMonitor.exe
        vmserverdWin32.exe
        ONENOTEM.EXE
        alg.exe
        taskmgr.exe
        CTAELicensing.exe
        Launchy.exe
        iviRegMgr.exe
        ekrn.exe
        amBX_Service.exe
        schedul2.exe
        NetworkLicenseServer.exe
        svchost.exe
        CTAudSvc.exe
        svchost.exe
        spoolsv.exe
        lsass.exe
        services.exe
        winlogon.exe
        csrss.exe
        smss.exe
        vmount2.exe
        svchost.exe
        svchost.exe
        vmnetdhcp.exe
        vmnat.exe
        vmware-authd. exe
        Philips_amBX_USB_HAL.exe
        TrueImageTryStartService.exe
        svchost.exe
        PsiService_2.exe
        svchost.exe
        IoctlSvc.exe
        Philips_HAL_Starter.exe
        nvsvc32.exe
        NBService.exe
        System
        System Idle Process

Yes I have tried disabling my amBX system and also Xfire.

Comment

I tried the RivaTuner thing and according to that my GPU core temperature is around 55-56 when the computer is just sat in the desktop! I used it to increase fan speed to full, but I still see temps going up to 75+ in UT3 - in World of Warcraft I never saw it go past 64. Is UT3 way more graphically intensive than Bioshock? Because I played through that without a single crash.

The airflow in my case seems good, there's no card next to the graphics card, I have 2 instake fans and 2 exhaust fans and an aluminium case. Could my card have a fault for it to be running so hot or is that normal for a BFG 7900GTX OC?

Comment

Hey!

I took the time to look up the processes and here is my suggestion.

DISCLAIMER!:
            This list is set up for troubleshooting purposes. I know this will disable some of your software you might need in your daily work, but it is only temporarily. Nontheless, it is necessary to find out if some software is interfering, and from what I can see, there is a lot of unnecessary stuff running and sucking up your performance.

So here we go:

amBXAppMgrHelper.exe <--- I have no idea what this is, but there is almost nothing to find about with google. Amblilight? disable
            daemon.exe <--- disable
            dopusrt.exe <--- disable
            dopus.exe <--- disable
            CTxfispi.exe <--- belongs to audio card, dunno what happens if you disable this one
            ctfmon.exe <--- windows-process, dont touch
            explorer.exe <--- windows-process, dont touch
            Creative_Audio_Engine_Cleanup.0001 <--- no idea, but seems it belongs to your audio
            Ctxfihlp.exe <--- belongs to X-Fi, see below
            VolPanlu.exe <--- belongs to X-Fi, see below
            egui.exe <--- your Anti-Virus
            rundll32.exe <--- windows-process, dont touch
            amBXAppMgr.exe <--- see above
            sdmcp.exe <--- Stardock Desktop Personalizer, disable
            xfire.exe <--- IM, disable
            firefox.exe <--- browser,
            jusched.exe <--- java update, disable
            schedhlp.exe <--- Acronis Backup, disable
            TimounterMonitor. exe <--- Acronis Backup, disable
            rundll32.exe <--- windows-process, dont touch
            NMIndexingService.exe <--- belongs to Nero, disable
            TrueImageMonitor.exe <--- your Firewall
            vmserverdWin32.exe <--- VMware, disable
            ONENOTEM.EXE <--- MS Office One Note, close prog
            alg.exe <--- windows-process, dont touch
            taskmgr.exe <--- windows-process, dont touch
            CTAELicensing.exe <--- even more creative software? dunno if it is safe to disable
            Launchy.exe <--- disable
            iviRegMgr.exe <--- interVideo registry manager? disable
            ekrn.exe <--- NOD antivirus, dont touch
            amBX_Service.exe <---- even more amblilight? disable
            schedul2.exe <--- Acronis backup, disable
            NetworkLicenseServer.exe <--- Abbyy-software? disable
            svchost.exe <--- windows-process, dont touch
            CTAudSvc.exe <--- even more creative audio
            spoolsv.exe <--- windows-process, dont touch
            lsass.exe <--- windows-process, dont touch
            services.exe <--- windows-process, dont touch
            winlogon.exe <--- windows-process, dont touch
            csrss.exe <--- windows-process, dont touch
            smss.exe <--- windows-process, dont touch
            vmount2.exe <--- vmware, disable
            vmnetdhcp.exe <--- VMware, disable
            vmnat.exe <--- VMware, disable
            vmware-authd. exe <--- VMware, disable
            Philips_amBX_USB_HAL.exe <--- even more ambilight? disable
            TrueImageTryStartService.exe <--- Acronis true image disable
            PsiService_2.exe <--- secunia security? dunno what that is, you may need to investigate
            IoctlSvc.exe <--- I have no idea, memory-stick?, disable
            Philips_HAL_Starter.exe <--- ambilight?, disable
            nvsvc32.exe <--- belongs to your v-card, dont touch
            NBService.exe <--- Nero Backit up, disable
            System <--- windows-process, dont touch
            System Idle Process <--- windows-process, dont touch

Disable one by one and check, if it helps.

Comment

Yep you are right I run a lot of ****.. but is the problem due to overheating? I am most concerned about those temperatures...

amBXAppMgrHelper.exe is for my amBX system (http://www.ambx.com/)
              TrueImageMonitor.exe is part of Acronis True image not firewall, I'll disable that too

Comment

I do not think your problem is too much temperature.
                It is somewhere else.

Good luck!

Comment

I contacted BFG tech support about my card and the high temps, they advised that I RMA it right away! Maybe it was my card all along? Don't understand why WOW and other games still work though...

Comment

Originally posted by BuckoA51 View Post
                    I contacted BFG tech support about my card and the high temps, they advised that I RMA it right away! Maybe it was my card all along? Don't understand why WOW and other games still work though...
                    Because newer games use more advanced (and usually more graphics intensive) visual effects, texture resolutions, amount of polys, etc. This stresses the GPU much more, so it has to work harder. My lower graphics games like WoW also run much cooler than UT3 or Crysis. And 75C is too high of a temp for your card, if that's the temp with fan set to 100% then yes, you do need to RMA it.

Also for those using Radeon cards, the Catalyst 8.8 drivers seem to crash UT3 on some systems. I actually had a few crashes when I used those (was fine before the 8.8's), then installed the 8.9 betas and the crashing stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by don'tknow View Post
                      Because newer games use more advanced (and usually more graphics intensive) visual effects, texture resolutions, amount of polys, etc. This stresses the GPU much more, so it has to work harder. My lower graphics games like WoW also run much cooler than UT3 or Crysis. And 75C is too high of a temp for your card, if that's the temp with fan set to 100% then yes, you do need to RMA it.
                      Well I >did< play through Bioshock without a single problem.. AND Quake 4 on full settings...I thought they were pretty intensive.. I wonder if the fault developed AFTER I finished those since its a while ago now?! I dunno, we'll see if a new card fixes it, if it does then I better apologise to everyone for going on for so long

Comment

Originally posted by BuckoA51 View Post
                        Well I >did< play through Bioshock without a single problem.. AND Quake 4 on full settings...I thought they were pretty intensive.. I wonder if the fault developed AFTER I finished those since its a while ago now?! I dunno, we'll see if a new card fixes it, if it does then I better apologise to everyone for going on for so long
                        It's likely your video card's HSF gathered a ton of dust overtime, have you tried cleaning it? Same thing happens to the CPU, or anything with a heatsink+fan on it. That usually raises temps a bit and once it's cleaned the temps go back to normal. It's also possible the fan itself went bad and needs to be replaced altogether, but if you don't want to mess with that, stick with the RMA.

Bioshock runs on the same engine as UT3, so it does seem strange it would work without freezes. I've learned that even with the same engine, two different games can still utilize the GPU at different levels, so when having an overheating GPU like yours for example, it could just barely tolerate one game then it would freeze in another if it's being used in a slightly different way. So far, from my ~10 years of building PC's, I have not encountered any one game that would actually be the cause of a system freezing. Most often it's overheating (especially when overclocking), and other times it's bad drivers, or faulty RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by don'tknow View Post
                          It's likely your video card's HSF gathered a ton of dust overtime, have you tried cleaning it? Same thing happens to the CPU, or anything with a heatsink+fan on it. That usually raises temps a bit and once it's cleaned the temps go back to normal. It's also possible the fan itself went bad and needs to be replaced altogether, but if you don't want to mess with that, stick with the RMA.

Bioshock runs on the same engine as UT3, so it does seem strange it would work without freezes. I've learned that even with the same engine, two different games can still utilize the GPU at different levels, so when having an overheating GPU like yours for example, it could just barely tolerate one game then it would freeze in another if it's being used in a slightly different way. So far, from my ~10 years of building PC's, I have not encountered any one game that would actually be the cause of a system freezing. Most often it's overheating (especially when overclocking), and other times it's bad drivers, or faulty RAM.
                          Don'tknow has it pretty well here...check for dust clogging your HSF on your graphix card...also check the air intake ports on the front of the case for dust clogging. Also, you don't indicate where you live but ambient air temps can also be a factor. If I'm "saving" money by not turning on the air conditioning in the house during the summer and it gets up to about 78-80F inside I can expect to have problems playing UT3...problems which go away if I turn on the A/C and wait a little bit for the cool air to start circulating. (note that my dual 8800GTX cards run hot in spite of 2 10" fans on the side of my case blowing directly on them.)

I've got ~20 years of building PCs and I also agree that overheating, bad drivers, bad configuration, faulty hardware, or underpowered (min specs or worse) hardware are the problems that cause system freezing.

The fact that Bioshock runs on the same engine as UT3 is pretty much irrelevant. It is what the engine does/has to do while running the game that counts. There are UT3 maps where my system struggles to get 70-100fps and other UT3 maps where I pretty much run at 300+fps anywhere in the map (no setting changes or system tweaks between map changes). I've never actually compared GPU temps on 'low' framerate maps vs temps on 'high' framerate maps but you can be sure that the GPU is working harder on the 'low' framerate maps. Furthermore, unless you have an experienced eye (I don't) for polygon counts and other such technical stuff, it is hard to tell, just by looking at it, whether a given map, or section of a map, is going to work the GPU hard or not.

Comment

Yeah I tried cleaning the card out actually I'd cleaned the PC just a couple of months ago so there wasn't too much dust built up.

The card is now RMA'd under BFG's exellent lifetime warranty. We'll see when it gets back if that cures the problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X