UT3 shuts down computer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 shuts down computer.

I am having trouble with UT3. About 3-5 minutes into starting the game, my computer gets really laggy and then shuts down with no warning. I have checked and my system surpasses even the recommended requirements for the game. My video card is nVidia 8700M GT and im running dual core 2.6 with 2x 200g HD with 2g RAM and HD screen. I see no reason for this to be happening. If anyone can shed some light on this situation it would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. = I have done the latest patch and still experience the same issue.

sounds like a possible temperature problem, but then again my rear fan turns on full blast ONLY when I load up UT3.

Comment

Yup, sounds like a temperature problem. Download realtemp or coretemp and check your temps before, during and after (if you get that far), a game.

Comment

Thanks for the input and I agree it sounds like a temp prob but I don't understand how it could be. I have lots of ventillation for my lappy case and 2 huge fans on bottom. I have it sitting on a portable dinner table on a mesh metal stand that lets it breathe very well. So the next thing I can think of is that my video card is only 256m and I think its just too much for it. If it is a temp prob why is it always at the same point from when I start the game. I start up UT3 and join a game within 5 mins of me starting up UT3 it happens. Yes this issue ocurrs whether im in a game or im in the lobby or not even logged in. It seems to happen even if UT3 is running at all no matter what I'm doing in the game. Thanks and keep the input coming! =)

P.S. = I just ran UT3 with realtemp running and the temp for both cores never exceeded 40-45C by the time my lappy turned off. This is relly getting annoying because I just got this game and was excited to play just to discover that I have a problem nobody else seems to have and Dell can't concieve. As it stands, Dell is having me send my lappy to their "depot" to see whats wrong with it and it may come back wiped... I JUST WANNA PLAY UT!! Any serious problem solvers feel like helping me through this PM me and I can give you my AIM or something.

Comment

Tried stressing your laptop ??
          I had a similar issue with UT3 on my desktop...would crash within 5 mins of loading up, or crash while loading up.
          It also crashed while benchmarking with 3DMark05 and 06 at the CPU Tests.
          To double check, I used CPU Stability Test 6.0 to stress my processor.
          Sure enough around the 5 minute mark my PC crashed and reset itself.
          I had to down-clock my processor to stabilise my system, and play UT3.
          Another thing, what make is your laptop ?? It seems some have defective NVIDIA GPUs, which overheat.
          Only heard of some DELL and HP models so far. Google ' nvidia defect ' and see if you want.

Comment

Ok I've done some research and have found out (1) that this issue happens with the UE also and (2) that my video card (nVidia 8700M GT) is known to be one of the defective models produced toward the end of last year/beginning of this year (when I got my lappy). So know I'm off to talk to Dell until they cave and give me a new video card of a different model....and i'm not paying for it. BTW Thank you everyone for your info. The stability test held up and all temps. are regular so I'm puttin all my money on the defective option. Any additional info you find would be appreciated to put on here.

Comment

Working...
            X