Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limit to BSP?

Hello guys (hopefully someone from Epic reads this),

I seem to be having a problem with BSP right now. I know that it is not meant to be used to a large degree in this engine, I'm perfectly clear on that. However, I'm currently making a level for the HOLP2 pack, which means it will be lowpoly, oldskool, etc. so I'm primarily using BSP for this one. I'm such a junkie that I'm just a few brushes shy from 4900 in the level at the moment and on geometry rebuilds it seems certain brushes are simply not included in the build, even though they're there and correctly ordered.

This leads me to the following question: Is there any 'hard' limit to the amount of BSP brushes a geometry rebuild can handle? Or is there a limit overall where this sort of thing may happen? Your advice or input is much appreciated.

I have managed to fix the current problem by re-doing the order of the additive brushes. The brushes' order was fine to begin with, because the subtractive intersections did not correspond with the brushes missing. I'm guessing that the BSP tree somehow forgets this info because of it's size?

It is fixed, but it's still an interesting issue.

Comment

I have had a similar problem to yours. 4600 brushes though, holy cow! I was nearing the 800 mark and was beginning to add static meshes as well. After that, I noticed that if I rotated the viewing camera too fast that the editor would crash Trying to draw too much at one time? Another point to mention is that I was using a transparent grid texture...so eventhough BSP naturally occludes it was forced to draw what was behind it. The only way around it was to pan the camera slowly. Anyway, I ended up replacing my BSP with SM, because it was a placeholder anyway. Once I got back down to around the even 700 mark everything was fine. Also, it is a big plus to turn on the "unlit movement" button (it's the lightbulb icon).

Comment

Working...
      X