Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor performances - GTX 280 - Vista 32 Bit - ForceWare 177.79

Hi,

I just bought a new graphic card, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 (from Gigabyte), I installed it on a fresh and clean Windows Vista 32 Bits SP1 Business, and in Unreal Tournament III my FPS oscillate between 40 and 100, but stay mostly between 50 and 60 !!!

Before this new GTX 280, I had a 8800 GTX, in the same PC, but with Windows XP SP3, and at that time, my FPS were really good, always between 80 and 100.

The only things which I changed in my PC with this new GTX 280, was a new power supply OCZ EliteXstream 800W (with the two PCI Express connector 6 pin and 8 pin for the GTX 280), and a new mouse Razer Lachesis (settled at 1000 Hz).

Other elements did not change:

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz

• RAM: Geil 2 Go DDR2 PC2-6400 4-3-3-8 @ 2.4 V

• Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe with Intel 975x (FSB 1066 MHz, PCI Express 16x, etc.)

• Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Elite Pro (settled in 7.1 on a Pioneer VSX-LX70)

• HDD: Western Digital Sata Raptor 10000 tr/min for the O/S, and SCSI for the others HDD.

• Monitor: Sony F520 (CRT) 1600x1200@100Hz

My settings:
    • Driver ForceWare: 177.79 Beta
    • Triple Buffering: ON

• V-sync: ON
    • Screen: 1600x1200
    • Screen Percentage: 100%
    • Texture Detail: Level 5
    • World Detail: Level 5
    • FOV: 100°
    • Framerate Smoothing: ON
    • Hardware OpenAL: ON

• UTengine.ini: MaxSmoothedFrameRate=100.000000

So, I play in 100 Hz, with V-sync, the game is allowed to get to 100 FPS, and it goes to 100 FPS sometimes, but it mostly stays between 40 et 60...

How the hell is that possible with a GTX 280 !?!

I tried lot a things, such as disabled DirectX 10 with "AllowD3D10=False", run the game with the -onethread command, disabled Aero, etc.
    Nothing is overclocked, I didn't force any Anti-aliasing in the Forceware, so what am I doing wrong ?

Before launching the game my CPU is at 0%, and my RAM is at 33%, nothing special is running in the background.

So far the only games that I installed are Steam Source Engine Games, HL², HL² Ep. I, HL² Ep. 2, Portal, TF2, Insurgency, CSProMOD, and a GoldSource one: CS 1.6
    In those games the performance are good, not impressive as I was expected but good, AA16xQ + Aniso 16x and 90-100 FPS most of the time, sometimes it can fall to 50-60 FPS but only in some exteriors.

This week I will install Crysis, Race Drive GRID, STALKER, FEAR, and Lost, and tonight I will install my old Lock ON flying simulator, I'm affraid to discover once again bad performances...

Is that because my motherboard has only PCI Express 16x v1 and not v2.0 ? I can't figure why UT3 has so few FPS on this PC, any idea ?

Well it could be that that GPU isnt supported yet.

Comment

But when you look the Reviews of the GTX 280 on Vista 32 with UT3, the testers are getting really fantastic performances, look at this one for example:

http://www.matbe.com/articles/lire/9...280/page12.php

183 FPS in 1680x1050 with no AA !!

127 FPS in 1680x1050 with AA4x !!

Comment

Vista might need to be trimmed down, a fresh install of vista requires a lot of tweaking to remove the ****.

Also why a 280? ATi is allot better price and performance at the moment.
        Can you try XP with the new card too, you changed the OS and the card at the same time, hard to figure what is causing it yet.

Meh the razer Lachesis sucks, you can't lift the mouse AT ALL. The feet was one paper sheet off and it wobbled a lil, causing it to veer to the upper left all the time. Its not a comfortable as the deathadder either, the side buttons are mushy **** like the PS3 triggers. I returned it hours within buying it.

Comment

Only three things i can think of atm is
          A : You are being bottlenecked by your cpu. My e6600 bottlenecks my 8800gt, try a small overclock of your cpu. 2.8 should be no problem then check performance.

B : Never ever put on Framerate smoothing and Vsync at once, try testing it with one and then the other.

C : Probably not the cause, but have you tried enabling cuda for UT3? Could maybe get better performance.

Comment

Hi Benson, you might want to check this very looong thread out...
            http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=586465

You'll find its an issue with the game... *gets ready to be flamed by fanbois*

Hopefully they fix it in the v1.3 patch.

Comment

@RoadKillGrill:

Also why a 280? ATi is allot better price and performance at the moment.
              Because I buy nVIDIA cards since TNT2, one by year, I'm used to their drivers, etc.
              And also because I don't like bi-GPU card, or Cross-Fire or SLI, too much troubles, too much noise, need too much power, etc.
              And today, the most powerful mono-GPU that fit my needs is the GTX 280. (I'm a professionnal photographer and I need the CUDA API of the GTX 280 for the next release of Adobe software)

Can you try XP with the new card too, you changed the OS and the card at the same time, hard to figure what is causing it yet.
              Regrettably I have no time to do that right now, besides I need Vista now to run new professionnal software and hardware that do not work on XP :/

Meh the razer Lachesis sucks, you can't lift the mouse AT ALL. The feet was one paper sheet off and it wobbled a lil, causing it to veer to the upper left all the time. Its not a comfortable as the deathadder either, the side buttons are mushy **** like the PS3 triggers. I returned it hours within buying it.
              I'm agree with you, this mouse is too small, not ergonomic, it doesn't fit a human hand at all, the right sides buttons are impossible to press, etc.
              I deeply regret my Logitech MX510, but Logitech doesn't provide drivers for Vista for the MX510...
              So I was looking for a mouse with a least 8 programmable buttons, with different profiles for different softwares, and I only found the Lachesis.
              The first day, I wanted to throw it through the window, one week later, I begin to become used to it. It's only a matter of time I think, but Razer absolutely have to engage an ergonomist.

@HideInLight:

A : You are being bottlenecked by your cpu. My e6600 bottlenecks my 8800gt, try a small overclock of your cpu. 2.8 should be no problem then check performance.
              I tryed, ( 9 x 311 = 2,799 GHz ), It was a little better, I had 10 more FPS than usual (still nothing really impressive for a GTX 280), but after 30 seconds UT3 crashed, so back to 2,4 Ghz.

B : Never ever put on Framerate smoothing and Vsync at once, try testing it with one and then the other.
              It changed nothing :/

C : Probably not the cause, but have you tried enabling cuda for UT3? Could maybe get better performance.
              I'm waiting tomorow, nVIDIA will release physX drivers and a special pack for UT3 this tuesday.

@hothouse:

Thanks for the link, I had missed it. I'm reading it right now, I hope the v1.3 patch will come soon.

Comment

Working...
              X