How to disable ATi Powerplay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to disable ATi Powerplay.

Ok Ive read from a few places that the power saving features(Powerplay) of the 3800/4800 series Ati cards is causeing lower overall performance in game. Apparently what happens is that the gpu reconizes when its not needed as much, and clocks the card back to save power. So what people are saying is this is happening during gameplay. So for instance, your in a narrow corridor your fps is up alot, so the gpu declocks automatically to save power, now you run into an open area the fps drops severly and the card tries to up the clock again. Only problem is they cant fully recover the way it should be able to.

So for the last few days I've been Googleing my azz off. I found these instructions http://www.gamereplays.org/community...&#entry4198980 but for some reason I cant find the profile that I created and saved. I need to edit that profile to turn the powerplay off. Now I'm on XP so I was thinking this may be a Vista tweak only. I really dont know.

If anyone tries this and gets it to work please LET ME KNOW, it would be greatly apprieciated. I'd also like to know if it boosts performance the way I've read that it does.

PS: I know this may be a bunch of baloney, but here's hoping anyway.

I don't use ATI vid cards, so I can't comment on the effects of using Powerplay.

However, I can say that the info you referenced tells me that he is talking about XP, not Vista. He mentions
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE
    You can't directly get to C:\Documents and Settings in Vista. You have to get to it indirectly through C:\<username>\Documents.

Also, in general, in a gaming environment about the only things you want to be "low" are heat and background apps and services. You do not want low system noise (fans not at 100% - cf heat, above), nor low power, nor low memory, nor low disk space, nor low internet connection speeds, nor low much of anything else.

Some clown might say you want low in-game graphics settings in order to get high performance...I say you want high CPU and GPU power which allow you to have high graphics settings without sacrificing performance. Of course this also means high expenditures of $$ in order to obtain it.

Comment

For some reason the local settings folder does not show up for me. I am the admin 100% for sure. This is bugging me.

Comment

Ok I got it disabled. (Had to do a manual search,"find files or folders")Now to see if it makes any difference. I will report back.

Comment

Kinda mixed results. First off the idle temps are higher. Since now instead of 300mhz core clock, its 800mhz. With 3Dmark I didnt really see much improvement. Maybe 100 points. Now here's the funny thing. I just did flyby's on deck, shangrila, and vctf- suspense. My frames were the same on shangrila, but seemed alot higher in deck, and suspense. Espeically in suspense. I was averaging 150+fps and only dipping to 120-130 at the very lowest. Strange. I will be messing with some more games over the next few days to see if it made a difference at all. I'll report back.

Comment

Tested UT3/Crysis/Race Driver Grid(cross-fire still not working for Grid, had to use only one card.)

For UT3: Stated these findings in a previous post.
            For Crysis: Moving in a vehicle shooting and getting shot at, I would normally get a bit of stutter, due to lowered fps, seems alot smoother now, but the fps still drops, just not as bad.
            For Grid: The menus/loading screens are the only places where I had any issues with grid. When switching through the different windows(ingame) I would get a slight stutter, and while loading a match when your accomplishments would fly across the screen. They are 100% better for me.

Ok so some more observations that I have made.

1. Doesn't increase fps
            2. Looks no different(no wierd colours or graphical glitches)
            3. The microstutter that have been plagueing these cards for a long time, may be better, if not gone alltogether. Seems like the lowest fps goes up from where it usaully. +10fps, which seems to help the microstutter issue.
            4. Seems like the low fps dipps is not as bad fps wise, but they are still there.
            5. You have to increase fan speed to compensate for the higher idle temp.

Bonus! When you edit your profile the way it describes in the original link I provided, the profile doesn't only allow you to edit your clocks, but also voltage for core/memory, and you can edit the fan speed from there as well.

This may even help some 4800 series people edit there fan speeds easier.

Try it if you wish. I am running a crossfire system, so my results may vary from people's results running 1 card.

Here is my current settings:

<Profile>
            <Caste name="Graphics">
            <Groups>
            <Group name="Overdrive5">
            <Feature name="TimeUnlocked" />
            <Feature name="OverclockEnabled">
            <Property name="OverclockEnabledProperty" value="True" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
            <Property name="Want_0" value="80000" />
            <Property name="Want_1" value="82500" />
            <Property name="Want_2" value="82500" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
            <Property name="Want_0" value="122600" />
            <Property name="Want_1" value="122600" />
            <Property name="Want_2" value="122600" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
            <Property name="Want_0" value="1241" />
            <Property name="Want_1" value="1241" />
            <Property name="Want_2" value="1327" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="MemoryVoltageTarget_0">
            <Property name="Want_0" value="0" />
            <Property name="Want_1" value="0" />
            <Property name="Want_2" value="0" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
            <Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
            <Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
            <Property name="Want" value="0" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
            <Property name="Want" value="70" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_1">
            <Property name="Want_0" value="80000" />
            <Property name="Want_1" value="82500" />
            <Property name="Want_2" value="82500" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_1">
            <Property name="Want_0" value="122600" />
            <Property name="Want_1" value="122600" />
            <Property name="Want_2" value="122600" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_1">
            <Property name="Want_0" value="1241" />
            <Property name="Want_1" value="1241" />
            <Property name="Want_2" value="1327" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="MemoryVoltageTarget_1">
            <Property name="Want_0" value="0" />
            <Property name="Want_1" value="0" />
            <Property name="Want_2" value="0" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_1">
            <Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_1">
            <Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_1">
            <Property name="Want" value="0" />
            </Feature>
            <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_1">
            <Property name="Want" value="70" />
            </Feature>
            </Group>
            </Groups>
            <Adapter name="PCI_VEN_1002&amp;DEV_9501&amp;SUBSYS_2542100 2&amp;REV_00_4&amp;276E9505&amp;0&amp;0010A">
            <Aspect name="Overdrive5" />
            </Adapter>
            </Caste>
            </Profile>

As you can see, there are 2 gpu's in that config file .

Comment

Originally posted by Sincreator View Post
              Ok I got it disabled. (Had to do a manual search,"find files or folders")Now to see if it makes any difference. I will report back.
              Hey, how did you find this folder on vista? (For the profiles) It's so bugging me! HELP! lol

Thanks, Harley.

Comment

Working...
              X