Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 4800+x2 s939 + vista 64 SP1: two cores = crapy performance, -onthread mode = fine

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD 4800+x2 s939 + vista 64 SP1: two cores = crapy performance, -onthread mode = fine

What the hell is the problem with this game?

If I play UT3 normally without the what the -onthread "tweaks" the game is crapy, no decent frame rate, it's fast unplayable.

But I use the -onthread "tweaks" the game is more or less fine to play... But WHY I MUST use only ONE core of my DUAL CORE PROCESSOR on a game that it should be "MULTYTHREADING OPTIMIZED"? Is this possible? I don't think it's for my OS, Vista Ultimate x86_64, 'cause all my games, excpet UT3, works very, very fine with two cores/multithreading enable...

I try with render 9 mode and render 10 mode, but nothing change. Only with -onthread "tweaks" the game is playable...
    I try to overclock my cpu too, from 2400mhz to 2750mhz and RAM from ddr400 to ddr 440, but nothing change!

Will a next patch PLEASE resolve this unhappy problem? I think is a serious problem, 'couse I found that I'm not the only one with this problem (many and many configuration, intel, amd, windows xp, vista, server 2003 and 2008...)

My config

Monitor: Fujitsu Siemens C17-2 17'' @ 1280*1024 pixel @ 75Hz refersh rate (25ms of latency |-__-|')
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4800+ X" @ 2.4Ghz
    4GiB DDR 400 PC3200 cas 2.5
    MAINBOARD: ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE
    VGA: Sapphire ATI Radeon 3870 512Mib GDDR4 @ Catalyst 8.7 (so I still must use texture quality on 4 'couse on level 5 he game crashes randomly..)
    PSU: XILENCE Gaming Edition 750 Watts modular (80+ bronze)
    AUDIO: Audigy 2 Value (nothing chance with or without OpenAL enable)
    HDD: 320Gib + 500Gib Jitachi sata-2
    Directx Version: Update of June 2008....
    OpenAL version: the last downloaded from Creative support site..

PS: sorry for my bad English.
    PPS:

you need to update your processor drivers on the amd website and get the dual core optimizer from there as well.

you have an amd ahtlon 64 x2, correct? if so, here are the links:
    driver:
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...er_1320053.zip
    optimizer:
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...imizer_113.zip

Comment

Originally posted by Dremth View Post
      you need to update your processor drivers on the amd website and get the dual core optimizer from there as well.

you have an amd ahtlon 64 x2, correct? if so, here are the links:
      driver:
      http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...er_1320053.zip
      optimizer:
      http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...imizer_113.zip
      No dude, the driver and the optimizer are only for windows nt 5.x (2000, XP and server 2003), on windows nt 6.x (Vista and server 2008) they don't work ('couse vista and server 2008 are already multithreading compatible and optimized)..
      The problem MUST be the game. Only with ut3 i have this problem.

Comment

oh. i didnt see the vista part. hmm.... i dont know then. i dont know enough about vista to be able to help. but if it works fine using one core then why not just do it like that? not all games support multiple cores.

Comment

Originally posted by Dremth View Post
          oh. i didnt see the vista part. hmm.... i dont know then. i dont know enough about vista to be able to help. but if it works fine using one core then why not just do it like that? not all games support multiple cores.
          Because UT3 IS dual-core, and above, theoretically compatible and theoretically optimized. Using one core it works "fine" but I don't have the performance that I should have with my system..

I actually play on a crapy -17'' LCD monitor (25ms .-.) at the resolution of 1280*1024 pixel.. with my system the game should fly even at higher resolution... with -onethread tips I have an enough frame rete, but it's still lower for an online fps.. At end of Summer i will maybe buy a new screen (an 22''-23'' 1650*1080 pixel or higher) but if this problem will remain it will be almost impossible play UT3 at that resolution!

Here I see that many people have same or similar problems…

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...586465&page=91

All this guys more or less have my same problems: dual-core, , tri-core, quad-core, dual-quad... XP and Vista, 32-bit and 64-bit...and the perplexing fact of this situation is that or you have this kind of problems with the game, or your copy of ut3 works very fine and flies...

PLEASE Epic Games, will u investigate and resolve this bad-performance issue?

PS: sorry for my bad English.

PPS: thx dude for ur help ^^ ...even though the problem still remains..

Comment

Another happy Vista user.

Try switching back to XP and see if that fixes it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post

So, the game is poorly programmed and your "solution" to this problem is changing the OS. Fantastic.

Comment

I cant really say that Vista is a "perfectly" programed OS to start.

Its only been a problem with AMD procs and UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKillGrill View Post

Well, what is? Linux
                  There is no such thing as perfectly programmed OS....

And to second point.
                  Says who??? This problem has been seen through all different processors, chipsets etc. But one thing you got right, it's only been a problem with UT3

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post

Originally posted by RoadKillGrill View Post

U guys dont'have read nothing on the thread...

it isn't an exclusive problem of vista and it isn't an exclusive problem of amd products..

pls, if u have only to troll, go to another thread. I need support, not flame or claims like fourth-graders...

Comment

Go look at Kinnison's thread about his performance blessing. You've got an ATi card, maybe the catalyst here is... Catalyst. Would be kind of poetic if it was. Namely look at the last bit of his second post. The bit where he says to uninstall catalyst and install only the display driver. That I agree with even if you don't have any trouble. Catalyst Control Centre was always a big steaming heap of sh*t and always will be.

Comment

no, I will not uninstall the CCC: I need it for many other applications... anyway it is a multi-threading problem, otherwise the -onethread tips would me worst performance..

Comment

Oh dear... You won't do this, you won't do that. I will ask you this though,while up there on your high horse demanding Epic fix this problem, did you actually even bother to consider the small but none the less existing possibility the problem could be in fact driver or software conflicts? Just because the game is dual core optimized and your wonderful Vista OS is dual core optimised doesn't mean something running on your system isn't causing a conflict when UT3 runs making one of the cores bog down the game.

Of course if you won't even begin to bother trying any solutions suggested to you, no matter how insignificant you may consider them, then there's no hope for you.

Even if getting rid of catalyst doesn't work, so what? You can always reinstall them again if you're that mad you actually find them useful. Plus that'll be on thing you can cross of your list of "things that might be causing this problem".

Comment

Originally posted by Xandros View Post
                            Oh dear... You won't do this, you won't do that. I will ask you this though,while up there on your high horse demanding Epic fix this problem, did you actually even bother to consider the small but none the less existing possibility the problem could be in fact driver or software conflicts? Just because the game is dual core optimized and your wonderful Vista OS is dual core optimised doesn't mean something running on your system isn't causing a conflict when UT3 runs making one of the cores bog down the game.

Of course if you won't even begin to bother trying any solutions suggested to you, no matter how insignificant you may consider them, then there's no hope for you.

Even if getting rid of catalyst doesn't work, so what? You can always reinstall them again if you're that mad you actually find them useful. Plus that'll be on thing you can cross of your list of "things that might be causing this problem".
                            First of all, I'm not the first noob in HW & SH of this forum. I know of what I'm talking (maybe my English sucks, but it doesn't matter). I usually search alone the suggestion and when I try them and when I see that they don't work I ask in a forums for more specific answer, maybe form a person that know better the problem than me..
                            I don't need an hundred of guys keep repeating the same thing 'couse the don't read the all thread or/and 'couse there are a pair of tops in this forum section (which I have already read). I know what are the issues of catalyst driver under vista with ut3 at the moment, and I'm not talking and asking for video and graphics problem.

Secondly, and more important: I'm not the only user with this kind of multithreading problems and I’m not the only guys that receive a little benefits using “mono-thread” mode.. Or shall I post a video with my all full attempts showing that this kind of suggestions don't work on my 'couse they are wrong or for other problems?

So, if u want only troll 'cous I ask for question that u don't knwo, nobody force u asking with this useless answer and "flamely" tones….

I'm sorry for my strong tones, but I have received the same useless answers many times in different forums.

Comment

I agree with Xandros. You have to have an open mind when trying to figure out a problem. I suggest you uninstall CCC if only to say: "I told you so to us." No matter what you may think, it's still a win/win for you: if it doesn't fix the problem, then you can cross it off of the potential bug list; if it is the problem, then you'll at least know what it is, you can stop watching this forum and waiting for an answer (I know, it sucks), and you can procede to find a solution. Whether the solution is keeping CCC uninstalled, or finding a workaround on the net, either way, you can't just deny a problem is there just because you don't want it to be and then demand someone makes a patch to fix everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X