Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 2008 and UT3

Hi All,

Trying to get UT3 to work with Win2k8 when I try to install I get the OS must be either Windows Vista, XP or Windows 2003. I've tried compatibility mode for all of the different exe applications with Windows XP SP2 and still no luck, anyone know if its possible to modify a file to get this working??? Would love to run in Win2k8.

Thanks,
    T1(kT0(k

I didn't know there was a Windows 2008! I'm afraid you won't get support with an unsupported OS (not that you get much support anyway).

Comment

Yikes, well I was able to get this running, it wasn't easy, lots of steps, but I did get it after reading a few posts from people trying to get 2000 running. Windows 2008 is the next itteration of microsofts servers, the next step up from windows 2003. Basicly the server version of Vista, nice and fast with none of the Vista bloat.

Anyway for those that are interested, I extracted the MSI file manually, and copied the Program files over to my Program Files(X86) folder, and copied the Windows\system32 files over to my Windows\system32 folder. I ignored the xsete. Finally I ran the UT3.exe from the binaries folder and for each .dll that it said I was missing I downloaded it and put it directly in the binaries forlder. There were 3 files I believe mainly dealing with DirectX.

Comment

there was a long thread over here that talked about if gamers should use VISTA OR WINDOWS XP on the last replays u can read about this user on this forums who would not recomend using windows 2008 for gaming purposes.

I read that u wrote Basicly the server version of Vista, nice and fast with none of the Vista bloat. NOT TRUE!!!! more services running in the backgroung makes it slower

Comment

Hmm, I guess you haven't used windows server 2008. This is NOT Vista.... There are no additional services installed by default, heck the sound doesn't even work unless you enable the service (it is disabled on install) as all extra services are. I won't get into the Vista vs XP debate as I am using neither and you really should try an OS before commenting on how many services are enabled by default. I don't like to give Microsoft too much credit, but I would say they did a fine job with 2008.

Comment

Working...
          X