UT3 - not loading - Winxp 64 - use to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 - not loading - Winxp 64 - use to work

OK, there seems to be a lot of people with this problem... [trying hard to not give up on PC gaming], but nobody with my specific problems.

OK, I'm running UT3 on a windows XP 64 bit machine (and the game use to work) but after many a good game in team fortress 2 (works wonderfully, fun to play), UT3 just felt like having a sulk for being left out.

I loaded it up to play... it went in fine (after putting my CD key in again for the billionth time... I know, let's make a game call 'put the CD key in kids') and I found that for some reason or another, online play sucked (laggy whenever I saw someone). This was on a server with a latency of 90 and 8 players. TF2 doesn't miss a beat on 300 with 24 players. Figuring it was just 'one of those UT things' I rebooted the computer, went into it again, only have the splash screen vanish without an excuse (This is the 1 thing I hate the most from a program. A crash with no reason why given).

My launch.log file is suggesting this:

Critical: appError called:

Critical: Direct3DDevice->CreateTexture( SizeX, SizeY, NumMips, GetD3DTextureUsageFlags(Flags), (D3DFORMAT)GPixelFormats[Format].PlatformFormat, GetD3DTexturePool(Flags), Texture2D->GetInitReference(), NULL ) failed
    at .\Src\D3D9Texture.cpp:86
    with error D3DERR_INVALIDCALL,
    SizeX=256, SizeY=256, Format=DXT5=D3DFMT_DXT5, NumMips=1, Flags=, TexMemoryAvailable=1006MB

Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)

Log: === Critical error: ===
    Direct3DDevice->CreateTexture( SizeX, SizeY, NumMips, GetD3DTextureUsageFlags(Flags), (D3DFORMAT)GPixelFormats[Format].PlatformFormat, GetD3DTexturePool(Flags), Texture2D->GetInitReference(), NULL ) failed
    at .\Src\D3D9Texture.cpp:86
    with error D3DERR_INVALIDCALL,
    SizeX=256, SizeY=256, Format=DXT5=D3DFMT_DXT5, NumMips=1, Flags=, TexMemoryAvailable=1006MB

RaiseException() Address = 0x7d4e2366 (filename not found) [in kernel32.dll]
    CxxThrowException() Address = 0x78158e69 (filename not found) [in MSVCR80.dll]

Address = 0xb27972 (filename not found) [in UT3.exe]

Address = 0xe8781b4c (filename not found)

What the hell is this all about? I didn't change any settings with my video card, and the game DOES work with my system setup. What file are they talking about. I didn't delete anything since last playing.

Ideas?

Oh, by the way, I also tried many a re-boot to try and fix the problem. Re-installing my catalyst drivers, updating them. I'm in the process of downloading the 250 odd meg of patching but it should work without it.

Comment

try a reinstall and play as admin.

I have XP_64 pro and it works perfectly. Never had it use the key since I installed it. I have installed this on other machines as well with both XP and XP_64 without issues.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

But it DID work, which is the annoying part. And now for some reason it doesn't.

Does anybody know what the launchLog is on about as it seems like something to do with a missing file or something.

I may try re-installing it, but I'd rather not.

Comment

You can try using System Restore to get back to the time it did work. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...emrestore.mspx

Comment

Working...
          X