No announcement yet.

Quad or Dual Core?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual core is the best way to go for now, as the vast majority of applications and games do not support multiple cores, so it's best to get fewer and faster. However UT3 is one of the rare few that can utilize two or more cores, particularly more than two. But I argue it's better to go dual core to generally speed up more things than just the few games that can really take advantage of it.

Either way is good, however. But my vote is to go for dual core for now. That's what I did, as well.

Comment

I have a QX6700 and it's very smooth at any resolution and detail setting.
      EXCEPT when I have VSYNC turned off. Then it is choppy.
      When I turn VSYNC on, all is very smooth.
      My other rig is a Phenom 9600 and is also pretty smooth (not quite as smooth as QX6700), same VSYNC issue though.

Comment

im running a amd spider platform quad core, with a hd3870 gfx card on vista 64, runs very smooth imo

Comment

Quad Core, 1gb ram, ATI Raedon HD 2400 Pro and my UT isnt very stable..crashes on a few servers until i try for like the fifth time

yes vista home prem 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by xPloSiV View Post
            Quad Core, 1gb ram, ATI Raedon HD 2400 Pro and my UT isnt very stable..crashes on a few servers until i try for like the fifth time

yes vista home prem 32 bit
            hd2400 is just above an onboard video card. Actually amd's newest onboard is faster. Your card is your problem. Also 1 gig of ram for vista is pretty low. You should go up to 2 gigs or more.

Comment

Here is cheap chip, dual core, that runs UT3 as good as the expensive quad cores. The E7200 at $130 is a good low budget choice.

http://www.techspot.com/review/100-i...00/page10.html

If you want to look at what the best bang for the buck is, check this out.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14756/5

One other thing to consider with a quad core. 2X the cores = 2X the power consumption and 2X the heat to remove. The Q6600 at 3.0 GHz uses 200 watts of power that must be removed while the E8500 uses less than half that and outperforms it. So, dual core saves on electric bill and the power supply..

Comment

Good question!

You may need 768 megs on your video card for the extra push and have no chops.

let me try something, i have the 2.4 intel, 4 megs cpu cashe, but the 8800 GTX 768 meg video card.
                i will setup a game and try it with max bots to see if it gets choppy.

-me

Comment

Hey guys, just tried the experiment.

I just played with 31 bots on CTF facing worlds with no lag!!

System Specs:
                  Windows xp pro service pack 3
                  Intel 2.4 core 2 duo 4 megs cpu cashe
                  Geforce 8800 GTX 768 megs video ram DDR3
                  2 gigs DDR2 800 speed ram

Get a better video card, wait for the quad prices to drop!!

-me

Comment

Working...
                  X