Quad or Dual Core?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quad or Dual Core?

Hey. Will a Quad core make gameplay smoother? Right now it gets a bit choppy during a big firefight with over 20 players on. PC specs in my sig. i saw a picture where all 4 cores were being used on ut3 and it made me curious.

A quad core can make some noticeable improvement, although the dual should be sufficient for gaming.

Comment

Thx. But i'm kinda lookin for more than sufficient. maybe more like 'excellent'?

Comment

Might not be your pc, the specs look good. I have seen choppy gameplay at various detail settings with a good rig too. One explanation is, it is probably due to the lack of server multithreading(it got broke after the last patch apparently) so servers capable of dealing with large 20+ player counts before, simply can't now.

Comment

look for some benchmarks online, it looks like with quadcore there are no improvements with games, I would say buy a reasonable 2core and spend the difference in a better graphic card... or faster memory. thats where you get performance.

Comment

more cpu cache counts with ut3.... quads have more. check the benchmarks at either anandtech or tom's hardware.
            Just be wary of x64vista....the support for ut3 on vista x64 hasn't happened yet.

Comment

UT3 uses all the cores, so the more the better I reckon.
              Especially true if you do more than just play games (ie make maps etc) I would definately go quad - it happily runs 3 or 4 programs, 2 screens and UT3 on top pretty smooth.

(AMD Phenom X4 GP-9500, 4 gig memory, geforce 8800gtx)

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle+= View Post
                ....the support for ut3 on vista x64 hasn't happened yet.
                What do you mean?
                I've been running x64 Vista since the day UT3 was released, I haven't had any trouble..?
                (other things however..)

Comment

look at this almost no difference:
                  http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...d-q6600_8.html

obviously quad core you will get a little bit more, but as you can see not a lot, really buy a faster disc faster memory and specially the best graphic card.

sneh: you have a great graphic card and thats why...

Comment

Vista x64= stutter/hitching/input lag on ANY video card and any intel extreme chip ive used, regardless of ram,mobo,power supply,drivers.......etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle+= View Post
                      Vista x64= stutter/hitching/input lag on ANY video card and any intel extreme chip ive used, regardless of ram,mobo,power supply,drivers.......etc.
                      must be an intel thing..

Comment

No difference. Dont by a QC just for gaming - only buy it for like heavy graphics design - photoshop with like 50 layers : ) and so on... especially the good ones with cost like $1,500. Umm DC is fine remeber u can always overclock the CPU. I think urs might go up to 3.0ghz without changing the voltage - and therfore not removing the warranty.

Anyways the problem would either be a) ur RAM @ 667mhz. Caz my system is very similar and i dont get laggy problems. i get a constant 60+ FPS/75 with 20+ players on a map. Oh b) but i have a 19" monitor, and that makes a hell of a differnce. caz it puts less strain on the GPU so i can play @ max settings getting 75fps, when u'd be playing @ mid-high on a 24" monitor with 75fps. hehe.

So - just throwing this out there or c) but - i think it might be the servers and response time and PC power that they're hosted on.. and so on..

Comment

Your better off with a dual core. The E8500 at $269 will run the game just as fast as the QX9775 at $1500. The math is pretty easy. Spend that extra money on 2X 8800GT for SLI.

Comment

I had a q9450 in my computer with a 9600GT, and I was getting nearly constant 60 fps even in Torlan with 31 bots. I went back to an e6700 because something was wrong with my quad, and my framerate dropped back to 29-35. It was an incredible difference, And I'm running Vista Ultimate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wasted Time View Post
                              Hey. Will a Quad core make gameplay smoother? Right now it gets a bit choppy during a big firefight with over 20 players on. PC specs in my sig. i saw a picture where all 4 cores were being used on ut3 and it made me curious.
                              Your problem is Vista. Many many others also have this problem. When they switch back to XP everything is OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X