Need a new processor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new processor.

Normally I'm good with this stuff, but I need some help this time. So basically I bought my current PC about 8 months back. It's a Compaq and the only reason I bought it is I'm good at adding in parts afterwards, but not so good at building PCs from scratch (they tend to turn in to a waste of money because i mess stuff up...) This PC came with a 3.2 GHz P4, a gig of RAM, and an integrated graphics card. It now has a Pentium D 3.0 GHz, 4 gigs of RAM, and an 8800 GS overclocked. Up until now this PC has been working out for me, but within the past few months i have been running in to problems maxing out games. The way I see it my RAM is fine and my video card is pretty good (I'll probably upgrade it in a few months). Which leaves me with my processor. It is a dual core, but from what I hear it is a bad one (the Pentium D series that is). So i'm looking to buy a Quad Core or a very good Dual Core. Last time i hunted down a processor for this PC I found out the mother board for it is very strict on what will work and what won't. The only info I can give is my PC's model number and my socket type. Hopefully someone can go further after that.

Model number: Compaq Presario PC SR5030NX

Socket Type: LGA 775

So if anyone can find me a good Dual Core or Quad Core for this PC that would be great. If not can you find a new motherboard for me so i don't have to worry about these compatibility issues anymore.

Thanks

You've got the right socket type for intel core 2 duo or core 2 quad ,it's a question of whether your motherboard supports them, look in the drivers and software part of the compaq site for the latest bios release notes, failing this, send an enote asking them directly which processors this motherboard supports with the latest bios installed. If it's still a no, I'd go for a now reduced ,quality p35 motherboard and a q6600 or 8400 wolfdale(most p35 bios support it),this is probably your best option.

Comment

These are the ones it is compatible with...
      * Socket: 775

* Supports the following processors:
      o Core 2 Duo E4x00 with Dual Core technologiy (Conroe core)
      o Pentium D 9xx Dual Core technology (Presler core)
      o Pentium 4 6x1 series (Cedar Mill core)
      o Celeron D 3xx series (Cedar Mill core)
      o Celeron D 3xx series (Prescott core)

Cleron D is ****, Pentium 4 isn't great anymore, and i already have just about the most powerful Pentium D available which leaves the Core 2 Duo. Wheres a good site to find a Core 2 Duo that has their specifications?

Comment

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 "LGA775 Allendale" 2.40GHz (800FSB) - looks like your only option if you keep that mobo, it'd be better than what you have now at stock.

Comment

Only one I could find from a quick search on new egg was this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115045
          It doesn't say Conroe Core in it, but it doesn't say another manufacturer either...

Comment

Originally posted by Moloko View Post
            Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 "LGA775 Allendale" 2.40GHz (800FSB) - looks like your only option if you keep that mobo, it'd be better than what you have now at stock.
            So Allendale will work?

Comment

You really should make sure the E4700 will work before you buy it, if the bios does not recognize it, you may be stuck.. The E4600 has been around a long time, it should work for sure. Compaq brand is well known for proprietary BS. Many do not even have options for adding or changing anything.

Comment

Afaik the Allendales are just the same as conroes with less L2 cache, they're all 65nm process chips, however to be extra sure go on a compaq forum or use their technical emessage system to ask this question to be 100%.

Comment

ok. Oh and one last question, Will getting the processor you mentioned "bottleneck" my system?

Comment

Neither the E4600(2.4) nor the E4700(2.6) -better still, will bottleneck it. They're both much quicker than the pentium d @3ghz

Comment

I'm talking with a technician right now. Thanks for your help. If I run in to a problem I will post it.

Comment

All the technician said was that they have not tested Allendale CPUs so they do not know whether it will work or not.

Comment

hmmm. tbh with pre-built pcs you are always gonna be in this position, ie poor support in terms of bios releases. An Asus, Dfi,Gigabyte -big brand p35 mobo is really your best option with say a Q6600(which are fantastic performance/price wise) or a 8400 wolfdale if you feel confident about updating the bios-either of these would be night and day better than the pentium d @3ghz. Putting it together is no big deal -we're here to help just PM me.

Comment

Alright I'll buy the P35 mobo and the processor you mentioned. The one thing I have never done with a PC is replace the mobo so is their anything important I need to know before I do this later on this week? Do i just detach everything from my current one and pull it out and put the new one in and reattach everything and I'm all set?

Comment

Oh wait. The P35 mobo is out of stock. What's the next best thing?

Comment

Working...
                              X