Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UT3 use Dual or Quad core?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT3 use Dual or Quad core?

I'm trying to decide which CPU to buy and need to know if UT3 makes use of Dual Core and/or Quad Core CPUs.

Currently considering getting an Intel Core2 Quad Q6600.

If anyone has advice or recomendations they would be appreciated also.

thanks

i have Quad Core and it plays smooth

Comment

A higher clock dual core would be better than a lower quad core. An 8400 would be ideal for games atm, unfortunately not all games don't use all the raw power of a quad core.
      An 8400 is a great investment, if your thinking of overclock too and if you want to be a man go straight for the Q9450.

Comment

I have a slow 2.4 duo 2 intel cpu 4 megs cashe, with the Geforce 8800 GTX 768 meg DDR 3.

I just did a test with CTF Facing worlds (map pack 1) 31 bots with zero lag, so i would guess that it's the video card
        that you need to boost the game. I'm sure UT3 wouldn't use the FULL power of the quad.

-me

Comment

Upgrade to 768 or 1.0 gig on video card DDR3 for max performance

I have a slow 2.4 duo 2 intel cpu 4 megs cashe, with the Geforce 8800 GTX 768 meg DDR 3.

I just did a test with CTF Facing worlds (map pack 1) 31 bots with zero lag, so i would guess that it's the video card
          that you need to boost the game. I'm sure UT3 wouldn't use the FULL power of the quad.

-me

Comment

For me with my Q6600, UT3 uses 70% of each core, so I'd say its about the best quad-core game out there, along with Lost Planet.

Comment

im pretty sure that UT3 uses all cores because i saw benchs and E8400 got lower FPS than Q9450 on the same setup with stock clock. honestly though, being an owner of an E8400, its the best processor ive ever had.

Comment

UT3 uses all four cores. More = better

Most new games coming out from now will use them too, so..

Comment

Benchmarks show UT3 only use 2 cores

It only use 2 cores 100%, the others do not matter.

Here is a benchmark, it only shows Intel duals and quads.

http://techgage.com/article/intel_co...t_superstar/10

The E8400 is king in UT3, so the E8500 would be even faster. The E7200 at $130 is a very interesting chip indeed.

Comment

I have an 8400 at stock 3Ghz speed and an X1900XTX on one machine.

I also have another machine with a Q9300 @ 3Ghz with a 3870. I have a copy of UT3 for each machine and the 9300 plays alot better. XP 32bit SP3

Comment

Originally posted by UTPlayer529th View Post
                      I have an 8400 at stock 3Ghz speed and an X1900XTX on one machine.

I also have another machine with a Q9300 @ 3Ghz with a 3870. I have a copy of UT3 for each machine and the 9300 plays alot better. XP 32bit SP3
                      I would expect that to be the case. Your 3870 is a way better card than the x1900xtx. It should run like 2X better with that card. The X1900XTX is comparable to the 7900GTX and were both top of the line 2 years ago, but, not any more.

Your also doing the OC on the quad from 2.5GHz stock to 3.0GHz. The E8400 stock clock is 3.0GHz. You should try the E8400 OC to 3.6GHz with the 3870 Radeon. Many of the OC benchmarks show the E8400 and E8500 stable at 4GHz and making only half the heat of a quad.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                        I would expect that to be the case. Your 3870 is a way better card than the x1900xtx. It should run like 2X better with that card. The X1900XTX is comparable to the 7900GTX and were both top of the line 2 years ago, but, not any more.

Your also doing the OC on the quad from 2.5GHz stock to 3.0GHz. The E8400 stock clock is 3.0GHz. You should try the E8400 OC to 3.6GHz with the 3870 Radeon. Many of the OC benchmarks show the E8400 and E8500 stable at 4GHz and making only half the heat of a quad.
                        ..im also overclocking the quad to the dual speed? regardless of the vid card, the Quad runs UT3 better than the dual

Comment

..im also overclocking the quad to the dual speed? regardless of the vid card, the Quad runs UT3 better than the dual
                          You cannot compare apples and oranges the same. The video card is actually the most important part. With the X1900XTX your system is GPU limited. That means you could do much better with a better video card. You cannot compare CPUs in two different systems when one system has a much better video card. The benchmarks I posted shows what happens when you have everything the same except the CPU. Your quad with the OC is comparable to the QX9650 which the benchmark shows is ~ same as the E8400 if both are at stock 3.0GHz clocks.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                            You cannot compare apples and oranges the same. The video card is actually the most important part. With the X1900XTX your system is GPU limited. That means you could do much better with a better video card. You cannot compare CPUs in two different systems when one system has a much better video card. The benchmarks I posted shows what happens when you have everything the same except the CPU. Your quad with the OC is comparable to the QX9650 which the benchmark shows is ~ same as the E8400 if both are at stock 3.0GHz clocks.
                            are you denying that a quad runs better over a dual?

Comment

are you denying that a quad runs better over a dual?
                              Are you saying the benchmarks are all wrong? Or are you saying you do not believe in testing and measurements performed in accordance with the scientific method?

Comment

Working...
                              X