UT3 Startup Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 Startup Crash

So I'm getting back into the game after some time off for school and things..... or at least I want to.

Whenever I try to launch UT3, I get the splash screen for a second and it goes away as if nothing happens. As soon as the screen goes away Task Manager reports no more usage of memory or CPU. The log stops in seemingly random places, typically partway through logging the line after the OS stats (second line of logging is partially displayed) or after a line of the memory statistics.

Since the last time I played I have installed the 1.2 patch (had 1.1) and switched CPUs (from a x3220 quad core to a q6600 quad core.... neither the OS or the BIOS gave me any trouble whatsoever as they are essentially the same.) I have tried reinstalling the 1.2 patch to no avail.

So I don't know what's going wrong.... I suspected system instability but nothing else (apps, games, benchmarks) exhibits any kind of problem and it always seems to crash in the same general place. Any advice or similar experiences?

Ok this is getting silly.
    This problem keeps being posted by numerous people - Imo something has happened to the game itself.
    I've tested everything I possibly can, Reinstalled Windows, checked all my hardware, tried various drivers, nothing fixes it.
    It started doing it literally 'overnight' about a month ago - after nothing on my system had changed.

DajMasta - Keep trying it again and again - Being it stops loading at a random point, it SHOULD load if you keep trying.
    Sometimes takes me up to 15-20 tries, or sometimes it will start on the 1st or 2nd try. Totally random.
    Once loaded, I can play all day with no problems at all - It's defo not a hardware fault.
    When I reinstalled Windows and then put UT3 straight on I tried loading UT without changing any settings - It still had the problem without patching the game at all.
    The problem remains after patching.

Like DajMasta says, there's no error - The log literraly cuts off at a totally random point mid sentance.

I'm totally out of ideas and just put up with it now...

Comment

Ut 3 Startup Crash

Hi Guys I M Having The Same Problem But I Fix It With Open Al Download Open Al And It Will Fix You Re Problems Search Google

Comment

I doubt it's the open AL fix.... as I haven't changed openAL drivers since I got UT3 and it did work before the 1.2 patch.

Perhaps it has to do with some part of the system..... I'm using:
        Windows XP x64 Pro
        Intel Q6600
        4GB OCZ PC6400
        ABIT IP35 Pro
        BFG 8800GT 512MB
        Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music

I will check to see if new video drivers help, as I haven't updated them in a few months.... any ideas? Any similarities with other people with the same problem?

Comment

I had the OpenAL fix in place for at least a month before it started crashing on startup.
          Even before applying the fix, loading UT3 was never a problem.

The nearest thing changed to the crashing was installing patch 1.2.
          However after reinstalling Windows and trying the game at version 1.0 it was still doing it - That rules out patch 1.2 as the cause.

Comment

I had similar problem recently. I was unning the game with -nohomedir switch and removing it helped. After some research I found out the problem was in UTEngine.ini Not sure what exactly was causing it, but try moving the file My Documents/Unreal Tournament 3/UTGame/Config/UTEngine.ini to some other folder and start the game - it should recreate the file with default values.

Comment

I've installed the latest nVidia drivers (from december.... ), but it hasn't helped.

I also tried deleting .inis to get the defaults, they were properly replaced but it didn't solve the problem either.

Comment

Yep I reinstalled windows, installed UT3.. All default settings used. Up to date drivers.
                Still had the problem.
                I've tried removing the overclocking on my CPU - no difference.
                Also tried Memtest - all passed 5 times out of 5.

I would try older drivers, but the problem first appeared nowhere near me actually changing my drivers.

Comment

My UTEditor crashed during I was cooking my map... aNow I can't open any file

I have an error everytime I run something.

Comment

Originally posted by CreepyD View Post
                    DajMasta - Keep trying it again and again - Being it stops loading at a random point, it SHOULD load if you keep trying.
                    Sometimes takes me up to 15-20 tries, or sometimes it will start on the 1st or 2nd try. Totally random.
                    Just tried maybe 30-40 tries, no successful start, the log seems to be locking up in the same two places as before. I also tried renaming the config folder in mydocs, to see if it had something to do with my .ini settings of any kind..... it didn't help.

Any ideas? I want to get playing and mapping to maybe enter something in the MSUC

Comment

On a whim and because some people have reported audio problems, I looked into updating my X-Fi drivers....

Works flawlessly now, no problems loading the game... Creative updated drivers fairly recently and apparently the 1.2 patch needs them.

Comment

Hmm. The startup crash seems to be a very common problem with UT3 and I, myself, have had problems with this. However, it's after the installation that is the problem. It installs just fine, but when I click on the shortcut to open the game, a window pops up that says: "UT3.exe has encountered a problem and has to close." I've tried everything. From downloading the 1.2 patch to updating NVIDIA; it just doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have an idea on what I can do next? Also, could it be that there is something wrong with the disk and that I should exchange it for another one?

Comment

Hmm..AHA!

Maybe you want try this http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_ut3_downloads.html
                          to use this site to download if you have nvidia graphic card. I just got solved problem by this site. I hope it's will work on you.

Comment

I ended up having to get a new graphics card just to get the game to work. Epic owes their customers better than this - the next chapter of the Unreal saga needs to be built like the first Half-Life - with all PCs on the market capable of running it.

Comment

I tried downloading the display driver, but the setup terminated :x. Where can I get a new graphics card? Sorry, I don't really know much about these things ._. . Any other suggestions to get this game to work?

Comment

Working...
                              X