**** Comp => Hopefully not **** comp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**** Comp => Hopefully not **** comp?

Well, after owning my computer for 3 years without a upgrade, I decided it may have been the time to upgrade

Im hoping after the upgrade, it can run UT3 at medium-ish setting, at 1280x1024 rez with a framerate around the 30's-40's

Well, Here are the current stats of my computer

HP duel processor computer. Bought in november 2005 for 960$ after rebate's

2.8 ghz duel core Intel Processor, DUEL (keep in mind that this is not a Core Duo processor, rather it is the older one, the Pentium "D"[duel] processors)
    1 gig stick of ram
    256 mb nvidia 6200 graphics card
    300 watt pcu
    intergrated sound card

Currently, Im planning to by

1)Another stick of 1 gig ram
    2) nvidia 6200 graphics card >>> nvidia 9600 gt graphics card

A couple things im not completely sure about.

First of all, is it necessary to upgrade my PCU, I think it is, but im not totally sure.

Also, does anything else need a upgrade? Im pretty sure that my processor is fine its a 2.8 gig duel processor, above the recommended specs...but, since its a rather old brand, im afraid theres something i'm missing there. as is my intergrated sound card, but im not totally sure.

Im not quite sure of my exact motherboard type...I checked all over my comp, as well as opened, and looked at its original manual but found no imformation. Im assuming a 2 and a 1/2 year old computer should be fully compatible with the upgrades im planning right?

Do I need to get a new fan? I don't think i'll need to, considering I don't plan to upgrade my CPU, but then again, making sure.

Finally, im using windows xp, with no dx10 support. Does dx10 significantly boost my performance when playing ut3?

Yes, you need a new PSU. Only because the 9600GT needs a minimum 400W with +12V rail @ 26amps. I recommend the PSU linked below. OCZ has never failed me. $50 after MIR. (I'm assuming you're budgeting)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341012

Your CPU is fine.

You'll benefit with 2GB of RAM. But you need to know what your MOBO is so you can see what RAM speeds it limits you to. Download the program below to find out your MOBO.

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz_144.zip

What fan? A case fan? Not really unless you've been experiencing heat problems.

No DX10 doesn't significantly boost your performance and I don't believe the DX10 features are currently used in UT3 anyway.

Comment

The upgrades you're planning should give you the results you are looking for. You will definately need a new PSU. You need to check and see what kind of memory your mobo will take and you need to check if you are AGP or PCI-e. New video cards do not come in AGP.

With your system I recommend staying with XP and DX9. DX10 has no performance improvements for UT3 and Vista will only slow you down.

Comment

thanks guys, the response was amazing quick...really helpful information

Comment

its also worth mentioning that your ram will be limited in speed by the slowest module.. Normaly prebuilt systems come equiped with ram matching the motherboard limit, but not always.

Also, the core 2 duos did see a large increase in performance over the Pentium D's at same the same clock.

However, your problem is most likely going to be with your motherboard; the age of it and its socket type suggests to me that its problably only be an AGP 8x motherboard.

In that case you are looking at a new CPU, the 9600, new PSU, new Motherboard and new RAM. Pretty much everything except your Hard drive and DVD drive!

There is good that comes of that tho, asside from the much higher performance, is that DDR2 is way cheaper than DDR (which you would have to get on that system).

If you dont have the cash for full upgrade: Get an AGP8x 7900/7800. There are still some floating about. That way you would only need an xtra 1gb ram and the new PSU... and optionaly an audigy 4

Comment

I seriously doubt he has an AGP slot.

I'm going to say you have an HP Pavilion. Those came with PCI-E slots. But your mainboard probably only supports PC-3200/PC-5400.

Just post your mainboard's model number from CPU-Z.

Comment

Originally posted by -=D0n0v4n=- View Post
              Why's that? Im not trying to be rude, i'm just genuinly interested. See, the LGA755 socket came out around 2004, which was still AGP 8x era. I know that later in that sockets lifespan the motherboards were mainly PCI-E - but if he bought his pc 3 years ago, in 2005 (with a motherboard which could have easily been released circa 2004), I would think it would be an AGP, especially in a cheap prebuild machine with an onboard 6200. If im wrong on that one I would like to know, thanks Always happy to have my knowledge improved.

Comment

I have a similar processor, and I'd say, if you can afford it, go for the whole upgrade. A cheap Core 2 Quad if you want to be future-proof, at least 2GB of RAM, and either an 8800 or a 9600 or higher. Of course, that means new motherboard, new PSU (600W should be good, but if you ever want to do something insane like Quad-SLI, 820W is much safer), and a new case. Your hard drive and DVD-Rom drive can be cannibalized.

Comment

Originally posted by -=D0n0v4n=- View Post

I'm going to say you have an HP Pavilion. Those came with PCI-E slots. But your mainboard probably only supports PC-3200/PC-5400.

Just post your mainboard's model number from CPU-Z.
                  yay! Good news

I own a asustek limestone motherboard, which is equiped with PCIE slots

And in fact, I do own a hp pavilion, media center edition.

One question-How do I figure out how much ram is compatible with my motherboard? I looked for it CPU-Z, and couldn't find it. I assume that it is probably compatible-When ordering the computer online, I had a choice between 1gig, 2gig, or 4 gig...after a bit of searching, I found numerous pre-built pcs running a Limestone, with up to 4gig of ram, so I assume its compatible.

But I don't understand what this means

But your mainboard probably only supports PC-3200/PC-5400
                  Concerning a sound card-Since I run a integrated sound card which would use processing power from my CPU, and I have a rather old processor, would it significantly increase my performance overall if I bought a sound card?

Comment

Originally posted by Halfthought View Post
                    yay! Good news

I own a asustek limestone motherboard, which is equiped with PCIE slots

And in fact, I do own a hp pavilion, media center edition.

One question-How do I figure out how much ram is compatible with my motherboard? I looked for it CPU-Z, and couldn't find it. I assume that it is probably compatible-When ordering the computer online, I had a choice between 1gig, 2gig, or 4 gig...after a bit of searching, I found numerous pre-built pcs running a Limestone, with up to 4gig of ram, so I assume its compatible.

But I don't understand what this means

Concerning a sound card-Since I run a integrated sound card which would use processing power from my CPU, and I have a rather old processor, would it significantly increase my performance overall if I bought a sound card?
                    You can see what kind of RAM you have using CPU-Z. Just go to the SPD tab. Look for "Max Bandwidth". Mine says "PC2-5300". So, if I were to get more RAM, I'd need PC2-5300.

Also, if you know the exact name of your mobo and even the serial number, you can search it in google and it should come up with what RAM it is compatible with it. For example, my mobo is an nForce 520LE in my Dell. When I searched "nForce 520LE compatible RAM" in google, I came across this website:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/EliteGroup_NFO..._V2_0__6729917

According to them, I can use PC2-3200, PC2-4300, PC2-5300, or PC2-6400 RAM.

Comment

Halfthought:

You'll need to get the Mobo's Model number off of CPU-Z so you can search to see what memory it supports. Example Pic below. However, if your model number is ASUS P5LP-LE or Limestone-GL8E then I can just tell what you need now.

So if the above model number is the same that CPU-Z reads, here's the mobo's memory min/max...PC2-3200 (400MHz) / PC2-5300 (667MHz). This is DDR2 which your board (if the same as above model number) has 4 DIMM slots.

Now if you are running that same board as above and you don't have PC2-5300 I highly recommend you just by two completely new DIMMS as you don't want your memory running too slow for gaming.

How to check memory settings via CPU-Z:
                      As Tomeis stated, Click on the SPD tab (two to the right of memory tab) and look for the Max Bandwidth readout. This is the current speed of your RAM. It will read as PC2-Blah blah.

Normally I'd say your not going to see a huge performance increase by installing a sound card unless your running with EAX/Hardware Acceleration, but with your dated processor you might. Actually I've read an article or two that says UT3 maxes Dual Core processors, so in your case, if you can afford it Buy one!

Comment

Under mainboard, it just says "LIMESTONE", with no numbers following it

Under SPD, it says I have 4 slots, and 2 are full. The 2 full ones says DDR 2 my max bandwith says PC-2 4300 (256 mhz)

Does this mean that I can only run memory cards up to a PC-2 4300? I was planning on buying
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134009

Does this mean my Motherboard only supports up to PC-2 4300, OR does it mean that that specific slot is currently used by a PC-2 4300?

I searched on the net for limestone motherboards, and got no useful imformation

Comment

Originally posted by Halfthought View Post
                          Under mainboard, it just says "LIMESTONE", with no numbers following it

Under SPD, it says I have 4 slots, and 2 are full. The 2 full ones says DDR 2 my max bandwith says PC-2 4300 (256 mhz)

Does this mean that I can only run memory cards up to a PC-2 4300? I was planning on buying
                          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134009

Does this mean my Motherboard only supports up to PC-2 4300, OR does it mean that that specific slot is currently used by a PC-2 4300?

I searched on the net for limestone motherboards, and got no useful imformation
                          It means that right now you're using PC2-4300 RAM. So if you were to get more RAM, that's one type you can get.

It does not mean your motherboard can only support PC2-4300.

Comment

Halfthought:

Before you buy any RAM you have to get your mobo information so follow the directions in the link below to get your PC model number and paste it here. I'll search for the mobo myself if you can't find anything. I'm fairly certain the mobo I found earlier is the one you have, but you have to be sure.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...=product&cc=us

Also, the link to the memory you gave in your post Is Not the Correct memory for your board. Do Not Buy It!

Comment

I finally found my motherboard information. Apparently, the design was discontinued by asus, and it was under a different name ASUS P5LP-LE...

I also found the memory information-
                              Supports PC2 3200 (400 MHz), PC 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs...

So rather im going to buy a 2 512's that are PC4200...what I have now so its sure to be compatible.

Im going to order the following products

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134030

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341012

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121229

Thanks for all the help and support guys...gonna wait a bit to make sure though

and for some odd reason, computer has the number scratched off...but I was able to find the motherboard code anyway by doing a bit of digging through google

also you guys have been extremely helpful, but theres one last thing I would like to ask...If I were to buy a sound card, what would be a really nice one in terms of price:quality ratio...I know next to nothing about sound cards, been using integrated ones for as long as I can remember

Comment

Working...
                              X