Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying Power supply for new card for this game question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Power supply for new card for this game question...

so im buying a new power supply for my new video card which is a Geforce 8800GT 512mb because i only have 300w at the moment. and was wondering if it would fit in my computer case...i have heard people buy power supplys and couldnt get them in their cases because of size.

my computer is a Dell inspirion 531

and the power supply im getting is this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817148027

may be a stupid question but i would like to know...never bought a new power supply before.

it Should Fit, go with the Zalman ZM600WHP a good Power Supply Source

timminson@hotmail.com MSN

Comment

oh yeah and also how worried do i have to be about the heat output of the 8800GT card. im hoping i dont have to go buy anything to cool it down. i just have the fans that came with my dell.

Comment

Well, the 8800 GT produces plenty of heat, and Dells are notorious for sub par cooling. Only way to be sure is to get Rivatuner and monitor the temperature to be sure it's not overheating. Also, the 8800 GT had a problem with the fan being set to a very low speed by default, causing overheating for many people. Also use Rivatuner to keep turn the fan speed up to whatever noise/speed balance you feel comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombielord View Post
          and the power supply im getting is this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817148027

may be a stupid question but i would like to know...never bought a new power supply before.
          Don't get it. No matter how many watts the manufacturer claims it has, it's made by a noname company and is very cheap. Cheap power supplies almost never give out their rated power. Stick to the well-known quality brands (Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax etc), especially if you're gonna use a power-hungry video card.
          But the problem is, standard power supplies may not fit into the Dell case. Is it an ATX case?

Comment

geez i just ordered it before this post. oh boy i have no clue if its ATX or not.. how can i tell? please dont tell me i just ordered some piece of **** i cant use!!!! i really need just enough power for i can run my 8800GT

Comment

Well, cheap power supplies are not reliable. With a power-hungry system they may work, but may not. It's kinda like a lottery.
              As for the case, I really don't know. Most PSUs (and also the one you ordered) are designed for the ATX standard. As far as I know, most (all?) Dell cases are not ATX.

Comment

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/del...-32486097.html

here is my computer....is that a atx case? geez im so new at installing power supplys. i really hope i didnt mess up on ordering that power supply

Comment

it looks like it is an ATX case, but im seriously worried about that PSU you ordered. Its cheap and nasty. One of the most common mistakes that uneducated people make, is to buy a brand spanking new system, top of the range stuff, and then buy a cheap $40 PSU. The PSU is literally the backbone of your system. Everything relies on that. If it pops, it could potentially take out your whole system. The one, most important thing you should NEVER skimp on, is the PSU. You definitly made a mistake there mate

but good luck, and I hope it works fine for you mate. Your 8800GT will really test its reliability.

Edit: Read the 2 reviews of the PSU on newegg. The people using it are people with 3 and 4 year old systems, running geforce FX's and 6800's. as far as I know, the 8800GT using alot more power, so it will truly be a test of how reliable it is.

Comment

geez...well atleast its good to know about my case being ATX...but geez i thought i got a pretty good deal for 500w power supply...well i guess we will see how it works out i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombielord View Post
                      so im buying a new power supply for my new video card which is a Geforce 8800GT 512mb because i only have 300w at the moment. and was wondering if it would fit in my computer case...i have heard people buy power supplys and couldnt get them in their cases because of size.

my computer is a Dell inspirion 531

You need to ask 2 questions. #1 What are the dimensions of your current PS? and #2 If it were deeper, would it hit anything?

Comment

Working...
                      X