The dreaded BSOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dreaded BSOD

I just bought UT3 today, and I'm having some problems with the game crashing.

It will randomly (sometimes in menus, sometimes during a match) crash and take me to the BSOD followed by my computer rebooting itself.

Heres my specs:

-Windows XP Pro SP2
    -Intel Core2Quad CPU Q6600 2.4ghz
    -XFX Geforce 8800gt 512mb 625 mhz
    -Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum
    -2 Gigs RAM
    -500 Watt PSU

So far I've tried updating my drivers, patching the game, scanning for viruses, checking my RAM with a diagnostic tool, and uninstalling then reinstalling the game.

Here is the minidump that windows error report gives me after i get a BSOD and my computer auto reboots:

BCCode : 1000007f BCP1 : 0000000D BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : 00000000
    BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

I've never had any trouble with my computer crashing and actually self rebooting in the past. Im able to run games like Crisis, Oblivion, World in Conflict, etc. just fine, and for very long stretches in time.

Anyway, any advice would be really appreciated!!

You also need a larger power supply.. or at least I would, just to be safe.

Comment

What wattage do you recommend I upgrade to?

Also, If it's my PSU that's the issue, why haven't I run into a problem like this in the past with other demanding games?

Comment

Well. I have e6750, asus 8800gt@700/1727/1000, 2G ddr2-800 ram with ZIPPY 400W.
        I can play UT3, CRYSIS, COD4 with no problems at all.
        So I don't think you need a bigger PSU, epically when you already have a 500W.
        Try some new beta forceware: 169.28, or 174.12.
        And with your x-fi, remember to turn off "Hardware Open Al" in audio option.

Comment

Originally posted by joe74509 View Post
          Try some new beta forceware: 169.28, or 174.12.
          And with your x-fi, remember to turn off "Hardware Open Al" in audio option.
          How do I go about turning off "Hardware Open Al"? Where is "audio option"?

Comment

Weird.
            I opened the creative audio console program that controls my sound card, set everything back to default, and now the game won't even start up.

I start the game, my screen goes black, then I'm sent back to my desktop with a "UT3.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." message.

UGH!

Comment

In ut3 main menu:
              setting>audio>Hardware Open Al(the first checkbox on top of the page)
              Heard it cause some crash among x-fi user.
              I didn't have a x-fi sound card, though.

Comment

He can't start the game..

Start the game with -nosound option (edit your shortcut), turn OpenAL off, then turn sound back on.

Comment

Originally posted by joe74509 View Post

indeed, no new PSU is not needed, i have a 450 watt power supply,
                  Q6600 overclocked to 3.45 Ghz, HD3850 overclocked, 3 harddisks 2 soundcards several fans and a fan controller and i've never reached the 400 Watt usage mark yet (got a neat device that measures the power consumption), at normal load while playing UT3 on full detail, it's around 350 Watt

Comment

Working...
                  X