Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by haslo View Post
    There's no real benefit to frame rates higher than 60 either. The human eye can make out around 20-30 frames only, that's why movies are at a mere 24fps.
    Omg when will people stop repeating this. Movies aren't interactive so the 30 fps thing don't apply on games and response time. It has been proved over and over again that FPS affects performance up to 120 frames/sec in first person shooters, movement peaks around 60f/s but aiming and shooting is affected up to 120f/s. The difference might not be all that important for the average gamer, but it's there. To me 90f/s is enough, but I immediately feel the difference if my f/s drops down to 60 and the game feel becomes sluggish.

Originally posted by haslo View Post
    An LCD also lets the pictures remain longer on the screen, so there's no flickering resulting from gaps between frames like you had on old (ancient) CRTs.
    True, CRT>LCD if you want optimal response though because of higher refresh rates and less input lag.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There's no real benefit to frame rates higher than 60 either. The human eye can make out around 20-30 frames only, that's why movies are at a mere 24fps. An LCD also lets the pictures remain longer on the screen, so there's no flickering resulting from gaps between frames like you had on old (ancient) CRTs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The image displayed on the screen will never change more frequently than the refresh rate. That means that an 85Hz monitor can never display more than 85 frames per second no matter what. If you have V-sync off, then your graphics card may render more than that, in which case the images displayed on the screen will be a mixture of two different frames (tearing). This is true of both CRTs and LCDs, you just don't notice tearing so much on a 120Hz CRT because the difference between frames is that much shorter.

Ideally, you want V-sync on, and a system capable of rendering faster than the refresh rate at all times. That way, you get the maximum possible displayable fps and no tearing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes I understand that allowing frames past the default Vsync can in some cases cause flickering and blurring in LCD ect.

This is not the case in my experience with CRT monitors and like I said the ones I have now work flawlessly with Vsnc off and frames above 100. And I been playing and using this style with Unreal engine since 1998 Unreal 1.The issue is power consumption and monitor size of a CRT versus LCD.

I know mid 2007 a 120hertz refresh LCD was released but its pricey.

So anyway given there might be tearing and blurring ect are you saying that with Vsync OFF and LCD refresh being a top of 85 hertz I can achieve frame rates past 85 with the LCD given I have very high end CPU and GPU and memory?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    VSync lets your graphics card not produce more frames than your monitor can handle. If you switch VSync off, the graphics card can consequently spill out more frames than the monitor can handle, which leads to skipped frames (that were produced, but never shown) and an overall choppier experience.

So yes, you're top locked, in a way.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic LCD monitor top framerates?

LCD monitor top framerates?

Wondering I have 21 and 19 inch CRTs and they are set to refresh at 120 hertz. I have Vsync off and they work great and I can get FPS sometimes beyond 120 but mostly around 80 to 120.

Now I was under the impression with LCD most will not give a max hertz more than 60 to 85 so if this is the case and I have a 85 hertz LCD with vsync off will it allow frame rates beyond its refresh rate of 85?

Or can any show if there LCD can get FPS over 85?

Not to say I need more than a constant Vsync 60 to play but I am wondering about LCD with 85 hertz top being locked there?
Working...
X