Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3870X2 - Large FPS Drops

Hi,

I recently bought one of the brand new 3870X2 cards, I have tried all the current publicly available Vista x64 drivers (inc betas) and all give this same problem. However the driver set I am currently using can be found here:

http://files.filefront.com/Sample+R6.../fileinfo.html

The problem is, while playing UT3 the game will have excellent performance when the map first loads, but after a seemingly random length of time average framerates will drop considerably.

I have found one location that can cause this performance drop every single time.

If you start the game, go to Instant Action, Deathmatch, select 'Deck' as the map, set bots to 0 and load the map.

When first loaded framerates are excellent, I have taken two screenshots of a random part of the map just after loading, in the top left you can see the fps (recorded using FRAPS).

Before 1

Before 2

This fps remains good, until you go down to the bottom level of the map (Goo Pit) where the 'portal' to the redeamer can be found. The very instant you walk close to the portal the game litterally jerks/blinks once and from that point on all framerates plummet. (see screenshots below taken after going near the portal of the same areas as before, this time labeled 'after')

After 1

After 2

It is almost as if one GPU just turns off and the card goes into single GPU mode.

Performance does not return in UT3 until the game is completely exited and reloaded.

I have had the same thing happen in the Demios map as well, however I have not been able to find what causes the card to slow down in that level and as such cannot give such a precise method to make the problem occur.

I have not witnessed the above happening in any other game i've tried so far, so it seems to be limited to UT3, most certainly on the Deck map, pretty sure it is on the Demios map too, I havn't had time to check any others.

My system specs:

Powercolor 3870X2 1GB PCI-E
    Intel Q6600
    4GB GSkill PC8000 PQ
    ASUS P5K-E/WiFi AP
    OCZ GamerXStream 600W PSU (2 x 6pin PCI-E)
    Creative Audigy 2
    2 x 320GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA-II
    1 x NEC 2510A DVD-RW
    1 x MSI 16x DVD-ROM
    Beliniea 2225 22" TFT

All latest drivers, Vista fully updated.

UT3 + 1.1 patch @ 1680x1050 all in game settings on highest possible, no AA, no Anniso, Smooth Framerate disabled.

I think that is about everything I can tell you, if you need more info just ask.

Any ideas?

One word: Vista x64.

UT3 runs like **** poor on this OS (possibly just ATI cards). Mind you, there are no apparent advantages from going from 32-bit to 64-bit this generation, and all ATI drivers are still primarily for 32-bit OSes.

My framerate *tripled* when I switched from 64 to 32. That was back then, when UT III launched. Still, after switching, it has been really smooth and never let me down.

I use a 2900XT in an AMD rig.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that your performance isn't that good with that card. I was playing ut3 on xp64 and noticed no decrease in framerates whatsoever. Maybe try xp32?

Comment

Wait I just saw that your on vista.. maybe try xp64 or 32 like I originally said. What was your video card before this one?

Comment

I've had a 8800GTX and a 8800GTS(512) before this (I like trying new stuff alot!).

Both were fine.

As far as I can tell it has got to be a driver problem or a game bug as it is only UT3 I get this.

The odd thing is if I don't go near the portal down at the bottom my fps is always in the ~120-180 range.

Soon as I go near the portal at the bottom *BAM* fps is cut in half for the entire map (as shown in the screenies).

Doesn't matter if I don't go near the portal again the fps never goes back to what it was.

It is most strange.

Comment

im gonna blame it on Deck haha. I still dont know whats causing the slowdown.
            The last thing I thought was helping was setting DetailMode=0 to get rid of the green glow at the bottom of the pools and also the water leaks. It helped alot, but there is still the occasional slowdown. Test that out to see if it helps.

Comment

Read the 'Known Issues Under the Windows Vista Operating System'
              Section Unreal Tournament 3:
              http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...=xp/radeonx-xp
              (Klick Release Notes)
              Too many issues.....try XP32/64

Im running a 3850 with XP32. No Probs yet....No FPS-Drops on Deck :-)

Comment

Reinstall with xp32 or 64.. If you play ut3 and absolutely can't live without vista it's almost worth it to dualboot vista/xp just for ut3. But for now ut3 just plays better on xp. Not so sure about other games.. some people are saying xp32 is better than xp64 but I saw really no difference when I was dualbooting them (one of my hd's went on me so my raid0 broke :-/)

Comment

Maybe they only design cards to work good in benchmark scenarios?

Another new card and another set of driver issues. This should be interesting. Maybe they only design cards to work good in benchmark scenarios?

Comment

3 reasons

1. Deck is causing this problem for the majority
                    2. The proper driver for that card hasnt been released yet.(end of feb.)
                    3. Vista

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like its going to be a reinstall of XP sesh tonnight then.

Does XP64 have any issues with UT3?

Just I have 4GB of mem and i'd prefer a 64bit OS if I can get away with it!

Anyway i'll give it a go when I get home from work and report back.

Cheers again.

Comment

Try renaming to FEAR.exe as mentioned in the other thread.

Miracles... any?

Comment

Nah xp64 was fine for me when I had it.

Comment

Originally posted by HeXadecimal View Post
                            Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like its going to be a reinstall of XP sesh tonnight then.

Does XP64 have any issues with UT3?

Just I have 4GB of mem and i'd prefer a 64bit OS if I can get away with it!

Anyway i'll give it a go when I get home from work and report back.

Cheers again.
                            I run XP_64 with no problems. On another topic, your power supply is 600w. The 3870X2 draws 360w at max. Looks like you may be close to maxing out that supply.

Comment

I've run an OC'd GTX in this rig for a year before the X2 and the power draw is very similar.

Plus it really can't be a power draw issue as I only get this issue in UT3, the card will loop Crysis endlessly without a problem.

It is deffinatly a driver problem.

I tried the rename to Fear.exe and when I do I no longer get the fps drop after i've been near the portal.

HOWEVER

If I do the Fear.exe thing, and go near the portal, after a few seconds to a minute the system will lockup completely.

Also after renaming to Fear.exe the portal 'window' shows corruption like flickering textures instead of the room beyond.

I've also reinstalled XP64 and I get the exact same thing as in Vista x64.

The only thing I have left to try is a 32bit OS.

I'll leave that for tommorow I think

Comment

Working...
                              X