No announcement yet.

The ATI 3870 X2 is faster than 8800 Ultra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every card has heat issues so don't accuse this card of producing some heat, they even said it in tomshardware website and ati website. And for the drivers you tell me a few bugs that are in there, since I switched to ATI I had never had any problems with the drivers. Everytime I come on here someone is always saying the new nvidia driver update is messed up or not working or some other problem. And as for crossfire and SLi. everybody has problems with it if they can't set it up right and thats no excuse.

Comment

hmm..that ut3 benchmark from the link on the first page of this thread kinda makes me want one. It's probably wise for me just to wait for the new nvidia and see which is better for the money. It's weird how much the performance goes down in ut3 on any card when aa and af are on. What do you guys think? Wait till the new nvidia('s) come out then decide? I'm just not getting enough out of my system.. god imagine if ut3 ran like crysis did? we would be going nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by champdee View Post
        hmm..that ut3 benchmark from the link on the first page of this thread kinda makes me want one. It's probably wise for me just to wait for the new nvidia and see which is better for the money. It's weird how much the performance goes down in ut3 on any card when aa and af are on. What do you guys think? Wait till the new nvidia('s) come out then decide? I'm just not getting enough out of my system.. god imagine if ut3 ran like crysis did? we would be going nuts.
        Wait until they fix the drivers. All these cards show great benchmarks in the reviews. But, then when you go out and buy it BANG! it will not play the game or it's nothing but **** poor performance and a waste of time. Best to wait. Plus, prices will likely fall after 2-3 months and when the new nvidia card comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Im a Chef View Post
          Every card has heat issues so don't accuse this card of producing some heat, they even said it in tomshardware website and ati website. And for the drivers you tell me a few bugs that are in there, since I switched to ATI I had never had any problems with the drivers. Everytime I come on here someone is always saying the new nvidia driver update is messed up or not working or some other problem. And as for crossfire and SLi. everybody has problems with it if they can't set it up right and thats no excuse.

True true, with Catalyst I only need to update my driver 1/2 times a month, possibly even once per 2 months. Plus, I no longer need to worry about what drivers screw up which games as Catalyst has less development forks compared to Forceware, and they don't release *everything* they make (Hai guys, we got 10% increase in Crysis by delaying water reflections, go download Forceware and feel good about yourself!!!!1111)

X2 should work good if-
          1] You have a P35/X38 mobo
          2] You have a VERY fast dual/quad-core (3Ghz+, just overclock)
          3] You have new drivers installed, and are willing to tinker. (Not for the crybaby kind)

Last I saw, everyone tweaked so much for Crysis (and to some extent UTIII), can't you play around with settings for a video card?

Comment

Originally posted by XEDR View Post
            X2 should work good if-
            1] You have a P35/X38 mobo
            2] You have a VERY fast dual/quad-core (3Ghz+, just overclock)
            3] You have new drivers installed, and are willing to tinker. (Not for the crybaby kind)
            Add :

4) You reflash the bios to stop PowerPlay feature from throwing the clock into 2d mode then back in cycles while gaming( check your vendor`s forums or xtreme systems.org )

HD3870(and other 3800`s) PowerPlay fix bios thread: Powerplay slipping into 2d while gaming...Powerplay LowPower3d fix inside http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=173203 WARNING-these bios`are based on Sapphire built`and built by ATI Sapphire cards

5) You one day download crossfire drivers that will address the lack of a functioning timer algorythm to synchronize multiple data streams evenly

Link to an article and video re. micro-stutter in ALL multi GPU solutions :

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=631668

6) You one day download a Microsoft hotfix to direct data from 2 or more GPU`s again, in a synchronized flow of frames with a new timing algorythm
            (Vista has 3 hotfixes released that address gaming graphics issues )

Update for Windows Vista (KB940105)
            Install this update to resolve potential Graphics Virtual Address problems that may occur when running Windows Vista.

Update for Windows Vista (KB945149)
            Install this update to improve the graphics performance for multiple Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) scenarios on a system running Windows Vista.

Update for Windows Vista (KB936710)
            Install this update to help resolve a secondary graphic card operability issue when running DirectX 10 applications on multiple graphics cards.

A single GPU still makes for the smoothest , most responsive gaming...
            Multiple GPU`S are for benchmarks-Single GPU`s are for smooth enjoyable gaming

Comment

Whats the pricing? I have no reason to get anything more than my ultra atm anyway, max crysis and all games with solid framerate atm.

Comment

the 3870 GX2 is only better because its two cards in Xfire. its dumb because its not the same as having one 8800 Ultra, this is 2 cards! i bet 2 8800GT's in sli beat an ultra too, but those are clearly 2 cards, as is the GX2. not only that but i myself see no purpose for SLi or Xfire so this card wouldnt be what i was looking for if i was looking to go top of the line. but for anyone who wants to.. you could SLI 4 Ultras, can you even Xfire 2 3870GX2s? i know for a fact you cant quad crossfire them, windows hasnt released a patch for that yet.

Comment

I'm actually surprised that for the first time, ATI released their next card before Nvidia, but I know that since its competition card will be the 9800GX2, it will get its *** kicked as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by RUKKUS View Post
                    the 3870 GX2 is only better because its two cards in Xfire. its dumb because its not the same as having one 8800 Ultra, this is 2 cards! i bet 2 8800GT's in sli beat an ultra too, but those are clearly 2 cards, as is the GX2. not only that but i myself see no purpose for SLi or Xfire so this card wouldnt be what i was looking for if i was looking to go top of the line. but for anyone who wants to.. you could SLI 4 Ultras, can you even Xfire 2 3870GX2s? i know for a fact you cant quad crossfire them, windows hasnt released a patch for that yet.
                    Ignorance is a bliss... Save for you 4th sentence, which states an opinion, what you've written is plain wrong.
                    In any case, I care not for the fastest card - a card that gives the performance you need at the settings you want without costing an arm and a leg is hands-down always better.

Comment

word

Originally posted by Bors_Mistral View Post
                      Ignorance is a bliss... Save for you 4th sentence, which states an opinion, what you've written is plain wrong.
                      In any case, I care not for the fastest card - a card that gives the performance you need at the settings you want without costing an arm and a leg is hands-down always better.
                      agree fully get what works for you if you have a **** load to blow on 16 graphics cards or one 1 thats actually 12 welded together fantastic your E-**** is the biggest pat yourself on the back otherwise just get **** that works cuz sooner or later its gonna get beat peace out these threads are getting old btw

Comment

Originally posted by Bors_Mistral View Post
                        you dont have to be a douche about it. your right tho, i was looking at it in the sense of the old 7950 GX2 which i thought was the same way these were constructed but i guess not.

i do agree with your other point though, i bought an 8800GT because it does its job and its cheap. im not looking to impress with some TRI SLI ultra rig which will be obsolete in months, thatd be stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by suicidebaby View Post
                          agree fully get what works for you if you have a **** load to blow on 16 graphics cards or one 1 thats actually 12 welded together fantastic your E-**** is the biggest pat yourself on the back otherwise just get **** that works cuz sooner or later its gonna get beat peace out these threads are getting old btw

I would hope that 3x 3870 vipers (~$600) would cost more than 1x 3870 GX2, but that might not happen!

Comment

Let's see a current ATI card process physics like the 8800 cards will be able to after Nvidia re-writes the Physx engine into their GPU drivers. Might be interesting. . . .

Comment

Working...
                            X