Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me, getting alot of issues with this awesome game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me, getting alot of issues with this awesome game.

Hey guys.

So let me tell you about my computer.
    It's an old stallion of a Dell () XPS that i bought way back four years ago.
    From day one we've had a troubled relationship, i've had it on service for more times than i want to remember, and especially when buying new games it always've had a tendency to act out like a teenage girl that's gone without chocolate for a month.

I've allways been an Unreal fan, and when i saw the first signs of Unreal III i almost ****** my pants. On release day i went out and bought it and went home giggling like an asian schoolgirl.

I installed the game flawlessly (exept for a few problems with my CD drive, but that's irrelevant to this game) and defragmented, ran CCleaner, defragmented, restarted, defragmented (trust me, this stuff i like massaging your computer) and THEN i finally double clicked the sexy little "unreal tournament III" icon on my desktop.

The splash screen hit me in the face like an impact hammer, and my computer fans went up, i sat waiting...and waiting...

In the end, i waited half an hour infront of the delicious splash screen (my fans were still running).

Then i pressed Ctrl-alt-Delete and checked, and yeah, the splash screen was gobbling down 98% of my CPU.

So i killed the process and tried again. This time, the exact same thing happened, fans going off and the cpu being buttraped my reapers sweet *** splash screen.

I did this three times, and somehow on the third time, the fans didn't go off. Almost immediately, the game started up and i saw the small commercialsnippets and everything. I logged in with my account and i started to notice the menu was lagging pretty bad (we're talking freezing for thirty seconds for so to go for ten seconds and freeze again.)
    I tried to ignore it, and headed for multiplayer. Actually, the game performed flawlessly, and i played an awesome round of CTF. And another one. And another one.

At this point, i thought i'd play some story and headed over to the campaign.
    I Started a private game, and the first cutscene loaded up.
    BAM, freeze.

I exited the game, and took a deep breath.

The next day i talked to my friend, and he told me to try and alter the "ini" file a little, and to my supprise, it worked like a charm, only that the menu-lag had gotten alot worse. I played the campaign almost all the way through, only to get a freeze after completing one of the last levels, it froze on the post-battle loading. God damnit.

After this terrible letdown i thought i'd calm my nerves with some multiplayer, boy was i wrong.

Every **** server told me that i was "disconnected" and after the third server the game disconnected me from the internet somehow.

Now, the game is completely ****ed up, the menu mostly freezes up, sometimes i'm lucky enough to complete a couple of levels on campaign, only to find my computer freezing on the post or pre game loadingscreen. And the lag is EVERYWHERE.

Usually when i get a problem with a game, i try to live with it, or in extreme cases i just abandon the game.
    But this game is too ****ing rad to be abandoned. I want to play this game. What i actually saw of it was so incredibly fun.
    Please help me out. I don't really have good experiences with tech-support, but i figured i'd give it a shot with good old (new) Unreal tournament III.

So yeah. Will you help me with this? I'm really desperate.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/88678996/DxDiag.txt.html

Quick specs:

1 gig Ram
    3.39 single core processor.
    Radeon X800xt.

And sorry if this is the wrong forum. This is my first time here.

You're likely to get better support by posting in the proper forum.

Comment

you never said that you installed the lastest patch, so prolly y you cant get on any servers now.

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=591638

looking at you specs tho, pretty much 2gb is req'd for lastest games

Comment

Originally posted by bowdumb View Post
        You're likely to get better support by posting in the proper forum.
        Yes. Check out the UT3 Troubleshooting & Technology forum. Not only is that the better place to post for help, but there are some sticky posts at the top of the page which may provide some solution to your problems.

Comment

I know its not always do-able, but if you can upgrade a little. If you love unreal then why have your enjoyment ruined by comp probs? and when you do get it going it wont be at high details anyway. Believe me its worth it !!

Comment

Originally posted by TheLeech View Post
            I know its not always do-able, but if you can upgrade a little. If you love unreal then why have your enjoyment ruined by comp probs? and when you do get it going it wont be at high details anyway. Believe me its worth it !!
            On that note, when recently upgrading, I bought 4 gigs of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM...$77 for each 2 Gig set with a $40 mail-in-rebate. They are one of newegg.com's "Daily Deals" today for $54 with a $20 mail-in-rebate. I don't expect everyone to drop fat stacks of cash of regular PC upgrades, and while I'm sure that your 4 year old motherboard is not compatible with the product I mentioned, but the point I'm trying to make is that if you wish to be able to make PC gaming a hobby of yours, and would like to have the smoothest experience possible, upgrading your rig is something that simply needs to be done, and furthermore, it doesn't need to cost you an arm and a leg. You wouldn't try to play your PS3 games on your PS2, would you? Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bowdumb View Post
              On that note, when recently upgrading, I bought 4 gigs of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM...$77 for each 2 Gig set with a $40 mail-in-rebate. They are one of newegg.com's "Daily Deals" today for $54 with a $20 mail-in-rebate. I don't expect everyone to drop fat stacks of cash of regular PC upgrades, and while I'm sure that your 4 year old motherboard is not compatible with the product I mentioned, but the point I'm trying to make is that if you wish to be able to make PC gaming a hobby of yours, and would like to have the smoothest experience possible, upgrading your rig is something that simply needs to be done, and furthermore, it doesn't need to cost you an arm and a leg. You wouldn't try to play your PS3 games on your PS2, would you? Best of luck.
              But, just so the OP doesn't go out and buy any, RAM will most likely not help him with game play. Given that it's a four year old machine, it's probably Windows XP, which doesn't show appreciable improvement with FPS in UT3 above 1GB RAM.

Comment

Working...
              X