Crashing at Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crashing at Launch

For the past week or so, sometimes when I launch UT3, whether through the icon, .exe, or xfire, it will go past the splash screen to where the screen is entirely black just before the white text comes up against the black background, and it will freeze. Sometimes I am able to ctl+alt+del out, most of the time I am forced to manually restart my pc.

I've had the game since it came out, and this issue just started about a week ago. Sometimes after a few attempts UT will launch and play regularly, sometimes (like right now) I just give up. I have also had the game freeze while adding servers when the server browser is first launched.

I just installed the nvidia 169.28 driver, however the issue still occurs. I am running 32-bit Vista (i dual boot w/ XP but I'd rather not install it there). I have a 680i chipset mobo, E6600 cpu, and a 8800GTS 320 video card.

Thank you for any help and let me know if you need any further information.

Nice rig! omg, ur problem is really wierd...
    u say it started about a w33k ago? i dunno maybe it got infected with a trojan or somthing. i know u probably dont want to, but MY OWNLY NOOBIE solution would be to un install ut3 then re-install, if that doesn't work, do a clean install of windows xp, if xp not available, do vista, of course. u got all the vista updates....

umm run a virus scan 1st, try un-installing ut3, but don't do a clean install, unless 1 other person reccomeneds it.

Comment

I tried a re-install of UT3(still on vista) and that worked once, but has locked up again 3 times in a row since. my computer is clean, i run my spyware, malware, and anti-virus apps daily.

does anyone have any ideas of how I may be able to diagnose or fix this problem please?

Comment

Originally posted by MrCleanTM View Post
        I tried a re-install of UT3(still on vista) and that worked once, but has locked up again 3 times in a row since. my computer is clean, i run my spyware, malware, and anti-virus apps daily.

does anyone have any ideas of how I may be able to diagnose or fix this problem please?
        Are you overclocking at all?

Comment

i only have my factory overclocked EVGA 8800GTS. everything else is standard speed.

today i tried to launch CoD4, and it gave me the identical issue. could it be a driver issue? i have the newest one recommended for UT3 (169.28)

also, sometimes when the screen goes blank, if it ctl+alt+del after a minute or two an error window will pop up saying something about a security log in or something

Edit: i just uninstalled the 169.28 driver and installed the 169.25. however this did not work

Comment

Working...
          X