Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLEASE tell me what is going on with my sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLEASE tell me what is going on with my sound.

Intermittently the sound will just dissapear & the fps will drop enormously.
    I tried onboard sound & my Audigy2 now & same happens on both, maybe happens more with Audigy.

I go back to the main menu & the sound comes back on. I go into the game & it dissapears again. I never had this problem in any other game. I'm pulling my hair out trying to find out what is wrong. I've down clocked my RAM from 800Mhz to 533, I've change the RAM, I've changed soundcards, I've added extra cooling to my system, I've changed graphics card drivers a hundred times. Nothing is working. Do I have to buy a new motherboard or is this some game coding problem?

HELP!!!

What are your settings in the UT3 settings panel under audio? Youi could be trying to do something not supported by your system.

Comment

Originally posted by pLaYa123108767 View Post
      What are your settings in the UT3 settings panel under audio? Youi could be trying to do something not supported by your system.
      Like what? Hardware OpenAL isn't on if that's what you mean.

What other options is there

This is intermitent. Like it could work for hours without a crash, then it just goes off.
      I had it once in downtown where the sound went off. Then when the fps recovered & I walked outside my base it came back on. I walked pack inside & it went off again. Outside sound was on.

Now you can't be telling me this is a hardware problem surely?

Comment

Maybe the problem isn't the sound in the first place but something that's consuming enough resources so the sound won't have any processor time left for?

What system are you running UT3 on? Processor, Graphics card, RAM size?

Comment

Originally posted by haslo View Post
          Maybe the problem isn't the sound in the first place but something that's consuming enough resources so the sound won't have any processor time left for?

What system are you running UT3 on? Processor, Graphics card, RAM size?
          WinXP Pro
          Intel Core2Duo E6600
          MSI P965 Neo (motherboard)
          3GB OCZ 6400 Spec Ops RAM
          XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640MB (169.28, also tried 169.21)
          200GB Seagate HDD (can't remember exact version)
          Corsair 650W PSU

Comment

This has happened to me twice...but only recently mind you. Maybe some server-side settings are causing it.

The first time, I started a new match on Avalanche, and there was no sound. So I exited to the main menu - still no sound. Exit to desktop - sound! Reload UT3. Sound!!!!

The second time is more like you described. Playing on floodgate wth loads of ppl...all of a sudden (could have been a particularly busy moment) there is a slight crackling sound and audio goes and the FPS drops as well, the game becomes juddery. Exit to main UT3 menu - sound!!! Re-enter Server - no sound and FPS loss! I had to close and open the game to get it working properly again.

Comment

Originally posted by Masaai_Warrior View Post
              This has happened to me twice...but only recently mind you. Maybe some server-side settings are causing it.

The first time, I started a new match on Avalanche, and there was no sound. So I exited to the main menu - still no sound. Exit to desktop - sound! Reload UT3. Sound!!!!

The second time is more like you described. Playing on floodgate wth loads of ppl...all of a sudden (could have been a particularly busy moment) there is a slight crackling sound and audio goes and the FPS drops as well, the game becomes juddery. Exit to main UT3 menu - sound!!! Re-enter Server - no sound and FPS loss! I had to close and open the game to get it working properly again.
              What are your system spec Masaai?

I will note that I never had this problem on Beta & I haven't noticed it in any gametype other than Warfare as far as I can remember.

Comment

Originally posted by ]NIN[ View Post
                What are your system spec Masaai?

I will note that I never had this problem on Beta & I haven't noticed it in any gametype other than Warfare as far as I can remember.
                Specs: -

Windows Vista 32 Bit Home Premium
                XFX 680i LT
                Corsair 2 GB XMS Dominator 6400C4 DHX, 2 GB RAM
                BFG 8800 GTX OC
                E6600 @ 3.2 GHz
                Samsung Spinpoint 500 GB HDD
                Antec TP Trio 650W PSU

Sound by the way is Realtek HD Audio (in-built motherboard sound)

And this has only ever happened twice in the last week by the way, so not frequently. How about you?

Comment

Well I'm using Realtek onboard sound now also. Happens less than with the Audigy2, but still it's too much. I get it a few times a week & have had it happening since the game came out

Comment

My sound drops out ingame as well, totally random. More people have that issue too, no matter which sound cards they have. :s

Comment

I just haven't seen any threads about it being on all soundcards, so wondered if something was wrong with my computer. there should be a sticky about this if it is a common issue.
                      I was ready to go out & buy new hardware for no reason at all & maybe others are too.
                      The only thing I can find on soundcard issues is with the X-Fi Open AL. If the Realtek HD Audio & Audigy2 is also causing problems then shouldn't there be a sticky?

Comment

Tbh, I never thought about it affecting many others becasue it just seemed so random at the time. If it isn't a sticky it definitely should be one, in the Tehcnical Section.

Comment

are you guys running any kinda of sound consoles (like creative or logitech install their own sound control panel) sometimes i found those take over sounds or even randomly mutes the machine ... never happened to me in UT3 but with other applications it has.
                          you might not even know its there but check to see if anything is running in the tray or with device manager to be sure and uninstall them if they are there.

Comment

I notice that the ones who posted their specs here all use 8800GT(S/X) cards - you do have the newest ForceWare installed, right? 169.28 beta. It's just that this driver fixed some problems with UT3, and I didn't hear about new sound drivers fixing problems, kinda a shot in the dark...

Comment

I've had this issue as well recently. Suddenly the sound gets replaced with a high pitch noise. FPS drops and game almost freezes. Sometimes it resolves itself, but usually I have to ctrl-alt-del and kill UT3 or even power down pc.

Specs: Asus P5B-VM (soundmax onboard hd-audio w/latest drivers), E6600, 8800GTS 512MB (169.28).
                              I had a 7900GT before, but can't really remember having any issues back then.

Comment

Working...
                              X