Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you have too much user content on PS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you have too much user content on PS3?

I have nearly everything released on ut3mod.com because I love ut3 and don't use my ps3 for a whole lot else, so i don't mind the space being taken.

After a while the load screens started to not go away when i pushed buttons. Then after that a load screen started coming up in between the company screens and the title page.

Now that screen is up for 2 or 3 min before i can start navigating the menus. Is this extra load screen because of all the user created content, how can i make this go away w/o deleting content?

Originally posted by mage626 View Post
    I have nearly everything released on ut3mod.com because I love ut3 and don't use my ps3 for a whole lot else, so i don't mind the space being taken.

After a while the load screens started to not go away when i pushed buttons. Then after that a load screen started coming up in between the company screens and the title page.

Now that screen is up for 2 or 3 min before i can start navigating the menus. Is this extra load screen because of all the user created content, how can i make this go away w/o deleting content?

to me, that sounds like a disc read error... it shouldnt take 2-3 mins, no matter what. Only way to know for sure is to delete the data im afraid.... I am presuming you have done the "save to hardrive" feature that speeds up loading times? If the problem still persisits after deleting everything, swap the game discs back at the shop.

Make sure your PS3 isnt full up and has some memory space as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanky View Post
      to me, that sounds like a disc read error... it shouldnt take 2-3 mins, no matter what. Only way to know for sure is to delete the data im afraid.... I am presuming you have done the "save to hardrive" feature that speeds up loading times? If the problem still persisits after deleting everything, swap the game discs back at the shop.

Make sure your PS3 isnt full up and has some memory space as well.
      I can confirm the problem of the OP; I have exactly the same. I deleted many beta maps and the ones I never play but it made no (preceivable) difference. I used to be able to skip the EPIC, Midway etc animations but now I cannot. After those animations, the game boots up 1st with the loading screen you see when UT3 loads a game, on for a while. After some time, there comes a message that the game is actuall loading (two times the message appears / changes possition of the message slightly on the loading screen). Only after that does it go to the start menu. This wasn't evident at all prior to me installing many mods. I don't know the sweet spot, but I'm guessing that after 10 mods (maps, mutators, gametypes etc), this problem kicks in so it must be inherent to the (amount of) installed mods and not contributable to a disc loading error. Next time when the game crashes *knock knock* and I get the option to deactivate mod support, I will deactivate it and see if it still loads this long then.

How many mods do you have installed then? I'm around 25 (maps, mutators etc) I think. You don't seem to have this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Erp View Post

How many mods do you have installed then? I'm around 25 (maps, mutators etc) I think. You don't seem to have this problem.
        If that was directed at me, I hardly have any mods/maps, as I delete the ones that I dont like. I would say, overall, I have about 10mods/maps. I try a lot of them , but just discard them afterwards.

At least it seems the problem IS around the content then, rather than a dodgy disc.

One interesting thing you raised, about...

"and I get the option to deactivate mod support, I will deactivate it and see if it still loads this long then."

I have had this several times, but only when my game crashes - I have never deactivated it, but I think you are right about making it work.

Comment

If that was directed at me, I hardly have any mods/maps, as I delete the ones that I dont like. I would say, overall, I have about 10mods/maps. I try a lot of them , but just discard them afterwards.
          Yes, that was targeted at you. Maybe you can help us out here and install some more? See when the problem kicks in. The game boots up the same as it did prior to the whole mod stuff on your PS3?

At least it seems the problem IS around the content then, rather than a dodgy disc.
          That's what I was thinking, at least.

One interesting thing you raised, about...

"and I get the option to deactivate mod support, I will deactivate it and see if it still loads this long then."

I have had this several times, but only when my game crashes - I have never deactivated it, but I think you are right about making it work.
          Yes, I'm gonna try that. The game crashed curiously often last days. I think this didn't happen before because I seldom entered Midway servers. It only crashed on VCTF (custom) servers before.

Too bad there is no option of deactivating the mods manually, without needing a crash first. Paradoxally, I'm now waiting for UT3 to crash! LOL!

Comment

On top of this: I've also noticed the time to unpack a mod in UT3 extends considerably when adding more and more content.

Comment

I am at work at the moment, but will test this out later on when im home, I know a few clan mates that download / use a lot of mods/maps, so they will probably also be able to add some comments to this.

Comment

I am at work at the moment, but will test this out later on when im home, I know a few clan mates that download / use a lot of mods/maps, so they will probably also be able to add some comments to this.
                Both would be very supportive indeed.

Comment

I just flipped the powerswitch during a game of UT3 = crash. I can confirm now that after deactivating mod support the game loads up instantly! The extension in loading time must be due to the (amount of) mods on the system.

Comment

I just flipped the powerswitch during a game of UT3 = crash. I can confirm now that after deactivating mod support the game loads up instantly! The extension in loading time must be due to the (amount of) mods on the system.
                    That was brave, would never make my PS3 do that without a real reason! I always reset it by pressing the front touch switch, to the right of where you touch to change discs...

Well done for finding the root of the problem though! Can safely say that around 10 is alright though, will find out the exact number I have when i am home.

Comment

That was brave, would never make my PS3 do that without a real reason! I always reset it by pressing the front touch switch, to the right of where you touch to change discs...
                      I thought: its a console and the power unit (i.e. surge protection) is pretty hi-grade in the PS3. It can handle it (I can confirm now too).

Well done for finding the root of the problem though! Can safely say that around 10 is alright though, will find out the exact number I have when i am home.
                      Cool, you do that.

Comment

I thought: its a console and the power unit (i.e. surge protection) is pretty hi-grade in the PS3. It can handle it (I can confirm now too).
                        Even so, I have heard some horror stories in regards to people loosing a in game data saves and files, to never being able to switch there P33 back on again! Wouldnt want mine to do that, thats for sure lol

Comment

Even so, I have heard some horror stories in regards to people loosing a in game data saves and files, to never being able to switch there P33 back on again! Wouldnt want mine to do that, thats for sure lol
                          Thats pretty serious man. I had the game on pause so it wasn't caching to the hdd. If my PS3 breaks it better be in the 2 years warranty period.

Comment

Sorry i've been out of the loop for so long....this is EXACTLY the problem I was first describing!

So we know the user content causes the problem after some number around 10, is there a way to fix this so there is no limit?

The game always runs smoothly after loading, but could they fix that problem?

Comment

Originally posted by mage626 View Post
                              Sorry i've been out of the loop for so long....this is EXACTLY the problem I was first describing!

So we know the user content causes the problem after some number around 10, is there a way to fix this so there is no limit?

The game always runs smoothly after loading, but could they fix that problem?
                              There is no solution to this problem other than deleting content until it reaches the sweet spot (we don't know the exact figure). Or you could force a crash on the game and disable the custome content support (you can re-enable it after that, any time). The game then boots up as snappy as normal.

Comment

Working...
                              X